Len Thuesen @ K-Lite October 1988

A radio site without audio is like a TV station with no pictures.

Len Thuesen @ K-Lite October 1988

Postby radiofan » Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:01 pm

From 25 years ago, an audio memory of Edmonton's 96 K-Lite [CKRA 96.3] and Len Thuesen in The Morning ...

Len Thuesen 96.3 K-Lite Edmonton October 5, 1988

Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: Len Thuesen @ K-Lite October 1988

Postby DonovanTildesley » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:54 pm

Nice to hear BJ Doyle and Dale Wolfe on a couple of the spots. Any idea as to who sang the custom Len Thuesen jingles? I recall Jon writing here a few years back that Len moved himself to AM drive after numerous listener requests.
DonovanTildesley
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:22 am

Mike Lynch had been the Morning Man on CKRA from signon in 1979 until a couple of years before this aircheck. He was lured to CKXM (CFRN's FM) by more money and a two year contract, as part of a drive for "head to head" competition with CKRA's K-Lite.

Len asked for listener input on who the next Morning person should be. And really didn't want to do it himself, having fit so well into PM Drive from Day One.

Open question is why Mike Lynch didn't come back after the two years, when CKXM, which may have been CJKE The Key by then, let his contract expire:
  • He wasn't asked back?
  • Non-compete clause?
  • Family in, or homesick for, Ontario (Woodstock, I think, is the small town radio where he landed)?
As for the jingles, I don't know, but one clue is that Len was a big fan of Rick Dees, so he may have used the same jingle company that Dees' station in Los Angeles used.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby 45 RPM » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:14 pm

Some of K-Lites jingles were done in Edmonton at Air Works Productions. The jingles that are similar to what Rick dees used could have been done locally, if not at Air Works, possibly a
Tommy Banks production. Did Banks not produce the "fake Drake" packages for CHED and CJME?
45 RPM
Advanced Member

Postby DonovanTildesley » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:23 am

jon wrote:Len asked for listener input on who the next Morning person should be. And really didn't want to do it himself, having fit so well into PM Drive from Day One.

Pardon my synicism, but that whole explanation sounds somewhat like a publicity stunt. Wasn’t Clay Hagle (sp?) (now known as Clay St. Thomas on Vancouver’s JRFM) another morning man at K-Lite?
DonovanTildesley
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:58 pm

Clay was at K-Lite ( somewhere I have an aircheck) doing mornings. In the 90's MG Kelly from Los Angeles and later, Tom Rivers both did mornings at K-Lite.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:33 pm

DonovanTildesley wrote:
jon wrote:Len asked for listener input on who the next Morning person should be. And really didn't want to do it himself, having fit so well into PM Drive from Day One.

Pardon my synicism, but that whole explanation sounds somewhat like a publicity stunt. Wasn’t Clay Hagle (sp?) (now known as Clay St. Thomas on Vancouver’s JRFM) another morning man at K-Lite?

For a number of reasons, I always believed that Len really didn't want to do Morning, but finally gave in when no other candidate seemed suitable at the time. The most convincing argument is that Len, as PD, hired Mike Lynch in the first place for Mornings. If Len wanted Mornings for himself, he would have grabbed it then.

As for Clay, he either filled in when Len was not available and/or replaced Len permanently at some point.
jon
Advanced Member

Return to This week's feature aircheck(s)