WLS 890 heard tonight

Post info or questions on stations you have heard or are trying to hear ... the world of DX!

WLS 890 heard tonight

Postby Toomas Losin » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:17 pm

There might be some good DX conditions tonight. I just listed to a post-news weather report on WLS that was giving CJDC some competition in signal strength.
Toomas Losin
Advanced Member

Re: WLS 890 heard tonight

Postby Eldon-Mr.CFAY » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:27 pm

Greetings,
Glad to hear that Toomas! Sounds like the dx night might have potential. I wanted to check the dial but have had company here tonight and getting ready to send christmas things out and prepare to leave for Langley from Ontario. Hope you hear some great dx. Please post how the dx is!

Take care,
73s Eldon
Bye . . Mr. CFAY "Frequently On The Frequency"
The CFAY Website: http://cfayradio.wordpress.com
CFAY Radio: http://tinyurl.com/l9qqmh
Eldon-Mr.CFAY
Advanced Member

Postby Toomas Losin » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:23 pm

WJR 760 Detroit is hiding behind CFLD Burns Lake but I heard "News Talk 760 WJR" during a few quiet moments. It's been a couple of years since I've heard it!
Toomas Losin
Advanced Member

Postby Eldon-Mr.CFAY » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:39 pm

Greetings,
Good going Toomas, I get WJR night and day in the Cobourg area. Aside from WABC IBOC at times WJR comes in quite well at night.

Hope you hear more. I guess WBZ 1030 Boston would be very difficult for you with CKST 1040 Vancouver on air? Unless you can null them. On 1040 here I get WHO Des Moines almost every night and to the south its WYSL 1040 Avon-Rochester, New York especially in the daytime.

Thanks for posting that Toomas, always interesting to read your dx posts.

73s Eldon
Bye . . Mr. CFAY "Frequently On The Frequency"
The CFAY Website: http://cfayradio.wordpress.com
CFAY Radio: http://tinyurl.com/l9qqmh
Eldon-Mr.CFAY
Advanced Member

Postby Tape Splicer » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:46 pm

I checked out 98WLS online and find they are a talk format...
Caught them in a commercial break.
They ran a WLS promo stating that they reach [number] states and Canada in our "natural state" with our 50K TX over the air ... try us at 89 on your AM dial when you're away from your gadgets.
Not a bad promo ....
Tape Splicer
Advanced Member

Postby Toomas Losin » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:30 am

WBZ is a Holy Grail for me. If CKST 1040 is airing talk then the lower sideband of 1030 is clear but KTWO, KDUN, and KMAS get in the way of WBZ. What hurts is that WBZ's pattern points this way, one of the few east coast stations that does! I think about WBZ each night there seems to be good east-west conditions.

I haven't heard WHO since 1040 became active in the Lower Mainland. It's a sore point since I liked what I heard on WHO at the time, in the mid-80's. It's the nature of DX that one can't listen for very long to the interesting stations one finds because they fade out; at least now one can likely find them online.

I'm trying to ID something that's beneath XEPE 1700. It's been bothering me for a few days as it seems to be there too often to be KVNS Brownsville. Or maybe it is KVNS and conditions have been good. I think it's a sports format, which KVNS is, per Wikipedia.
Toomas Losin
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:34 am

Toomas Losin wrote:WBZ is a Holy Grail for me. If CKST 1040 is airing talk then the lower sideband of 1030 is clear but KTWO, KDUN, and KMAS get in the way of WBZ. What hurts is that WBZ's pattern points this way, one of the few east coast stations that does! I think about WBZ each night there seems to be good east-west conditions.

I haven't heard WHO since 1040 became active in the Lower Mainland. It's a sore point since I liked what I heard on WHO at the time, in the mid-80's. It's the nature of DX that one can't listen for very long to the interesting stations one finds because they fade out; at least now one can likely find them online.

I'm trying to ID something that's beneath XEPE 1700. It's been bothering me for a few days as it seems to be there too often to be KVNS Brownsville. Or maybe it is KVNS and conditions have been good. I think it's a sports format, which KVNS is, per Wikipedia.

WHO was the first/strongest of the "eastern" clear channel well before winter sunset in Burnaby in 1970. With WCCO-830 close behind. A few years before that, before KTWO moved to 1030, WBZ was the most desirable DX to do homework by. Otherwise, it was WLS.

When WCBS was alone on 880, winter evenings with no Eastern DX conditions, meaning no WBZ or WLS to listen to, could be spent doing homework to TGJ-880 from Guatemala. ...until they dropped their marimba music for 6 month old Beatle songs!
jon
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:48 pm

I should also mention that Victoria's former CJVI-900 took some of the joy out of listening to WLS-890 because I was normally in bed by 10pm, long before CJVI's signoff.

In both East and South Burnaby, no matter what direction you pointed the radio, you just couldn't null out the slop from CJVI, and still get a listenable signal from WLS.

Of course, here in Edmonton, with WLS in the same direction as CHQT's transmitter from my home, WLS isn't going to be heard any time soon. Even though they had a killer signal on winter nights before CHQT switched to 880.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Toomas Losin » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:20 pm

I wonder what I would have heard in the mid-80's with the R71a and a good antenna like the Pennant, when interference wasn't as bad. My first active DX listening was in 1985 with a portable radio that had a good AM section. With it I first heard XETRA, WCCO, WHO, WLS, WWL, WHAS, CHAM, WBAP, and WOAI.

My 1986 WRTH does not list KDUN or KMAS. So I could have nulled KTWO and tried for WBZ. My 1988 WRTH does list them — so there was a window of a few years before 1030 became more difficult.

Last night on 1030 KMAS was dominant with KTWO in the background when I listened.

Trans-Pacific stations started asserting themselves some time before local midnight with carriers first heard on 774 and 1566.

Nothing magical happened with propagation though. Maybe tonight.
Toomas Losin
Advanced Member

Return to As The Dial Turns