Vancouver PPM Aug 26 - November 24, 2013

Vancouver PPM ratings 12+

Vancouver PPM Aug 26 - November 24, 2013

Postby radiofan » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:47 am

Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: Vancouver PPM Aug 26 - November 24, 2013

Postby hagopian » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:06 am

Comments?

CKNW slips and maybe Bro Jake didn't really light it up. CBC, a solid book. Wish we could see break outs by shift!
hagopian
Advanced Member

Postby Blabbermouth » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:06 am

The Beat is back down to earth.
Blabbermouth
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:22 am

A new all-time low for CKNW, the station formerly known as BC's News Leader.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby hagopian » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:05 pm

I wonder what CORUS is going to with their cluster? Are they really moving across the street....or....what? I wonder if they want to sell these properties. Hmmmmm. CORUS chopped a ton of folks last quarter, so who knows what's going on!
hagopian
Advanced Member

Postby Blabbermouth » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:07 pm

Rock 101 seems to be holding it's own. And this book was mainly Dean Hill in the morning.
Blabbermouth
Advanced Member

Postby hagopian » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:12 pm

Dean was the Morning Zoo king......they should keep him on Mornings.....he sounds great!
hagopian
Advanced Member

Postby sparky » Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:00 pm

How many years has it been since CKNW had a real News Director leading their news team? Most days it sounds like the bulk of the NW news readers are brand new grads from BCIT and have never been
on the air before. What happened to the days when the BCIT grads went up country to learn their trade for a few years? They’d learn how to write, how to edit and most of all, learn how to read into a
microphone.

If NW had retained some of the professionalism in the news room that CHNL in Kamloops still has today, they’d still be BC’s News Leader. When I’m down on the coast, I now rely on CBC for local news.
News 1130 is also way superior to NW when it comes to local news.

The other area that NW is really hurting in is their talk shows. There was a time where the shows had real producers and researchers. These days, it sounds like they have a fresh out of BCIT kid scouring
The Sun and Province for story ideas. If it’s in the paper, it’s yesterday’s news. There will be a topic that is getting great reaction and calls and the segment suddenly ends and it’s time for a new topic.
Rather than carry on with a hot topic, they urge you to email or phone in to record your thoughts. WTF? Aren’t these talk shows? At the end of the show you get some squeaky voiced producer rambling on
about the emails, the calls and what’s coming up tomorrow.

The other day I heard a promo on NW for the new evening show. The highlight of the promo wasn’t anything about show content, it was mentioning there would be beat the box office tickets for ZZ Top
given away that night. I’m sure that had great appeal to NW’s geriatric audience.

When the best you can do for a guest on three of your talk shows is segments with the new morning man on one of your FM stations, it’s a pretty sad state of affairs.

Glad to see traffic from AM 730 and Global Weather have added to NW’s success.
"You get a bunch of clowns together and sooner or later you've got a circus"
sparky
Advanced Member

Postby Tape Splicer » Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:21 pm

sparky; I like your quote...."You get a bunch of clowns together and sooner or later you've got a circus" I was wondering if the last word should be CORUS?

I guess it's just habit but I find I listen to the 8 am news regularly
Tape Splicer
Advanced Member

Postby dial twister » Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:02 pm

What do you think New Cap will do with The Shore once they get the keys to the front door? If the station had a regular license, I'm sure it would be an easy decision.

What the next move for CFUN? Do they keep hoping for success and aim to make their losses less than if they had to do a huge payout for their over priced, underperforming morning show?
Is the 104.9 frequency jinxed or is it just poor management running the place? Just think of the money Rogers could have saved if they'd stuck with XFM and the Modern Rock format.

A couple of incarnations of Clear FM, the botched Fred and Kathy morning show (under a totally incompetent PD) and then a huge payout. Next victim, Charlee Morgan, brought in from a
very successful run in Calgary. Once again, no success, so a quick exit and a payout. Bring on FUN FM and Scott Miller. Great talent, but NO support on air or promowise from the station,
along with the most horrendous selection and rotation of music for an Oldies station. Next up, Kelly Latremouille and Pam Stevens who'd both be let go from sister station JACK FM and
called back to duty after Miller's demise. Again, no fault of the air talent that the station became FUN FM. Vancouver needed a third Top 40 station as opposed to an Oldies station that nobody
at 2440 had the brains to run successfully. They couldn't even run Christmas music successfully on 104.9!

Maybe 104.9 can become the home of the Canucks when Rogers Sportsnet takes over the radio PBP.
dial twister
Advanced Member

Postby Mike Cleaver » Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:21 pm

Time for Robbers and Cornhusk to trash their 1130 and 980 frequencies and move that content onto one of their loser FMs so you can at least hear the news/talk stations in downtown Vancouver and up to 75 miles away without all the hash and interference and drop outs.
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Engineering, News, Voice work and Consulting
Vancouver, BC, Canada

54 years experience at some of Canada's Premier Broadcasting Stations
Mike Cleaver
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:48 pm

dial twister wrote:Maybe 104.9 can become the home of the Canucks when Rogers Sportsnet takes over the radio PBP.

As an outsider looking in, based on where the ratings are -- WX (News 1130) has nearly two and a half times the audience of Team 1040, meaning All News pays a lot more bills than All Sports -- I think Rogers would be smarter to flip WX to the entire 104.9 network, giving them coverage most of the way from Hope to Vancouver, with no more Russian interference from Oregon, and no more "rebar challenges" in tall buildings.

Then use 1130 for an All Sports outlet.

Unlike other Mount Seymour sticks, 104.9 has repeaters in the Fraser Valley. CRTC requirements to provide a certain amount of Fraser Valley focus may actually work in News 104.9's favour, expanding their audience into the Fraser Valley more so than it is now.

Haven't thought about it long enough to know if it makes sense.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Bigbangboom » Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:58 pm

jon wrote:
dial twister wrote:Maybe 104.9 can become the home of the Canucks when Rogers Sportsnet takes over the radio PBP.

As an outsider looking in, based on where the ratings are -- WX (News 1130) has nearly two and a half times the audience of Team 1040, meaning All News pays a lot more bills than All Sports -- I think Rogers would be smarter to flip WX to the entire 104.9 network, giving them coverage most of the way from Hope to Vancouver,

Seems to me that a talk/news format on FM would be a specialty and require application. Then they'd be locked in. I believe Corus applied for an FM in Kelowna five or six years back but it would have been a specialty license.
Bigbangboom
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:42 pm

I forgot to mention that the idea of All News on FM in the West is not a new one for Rogers. They applied for an FM license for an All News format here in Edmonton just before iNews 880 hit the airwaves. The CRTC turned them down, giving the available FM frequencies to others.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Blabbermouth » Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:37 am

These "plus 2" numbers really don't tell the whole story.

Take The Beat for example: they're down in the overall plus 2 category nearly 2 full share points (summer-to-fall) but according to their morning show crew, they hit their targets and they're celebrating. Jonny Staub of the Beat describes it this way on his Facebook page...

"Hard work. Dedication. Discipline. Group effort. I'm proud to say that in the coveted fall 2013 radio ratings JONNY HOLLY & NIRA hit #1!!! #1 Females 18-34, 18-44, 18-49, 25-34, 25-49. #1 Adults 18-34, 25-34. ‪#‎JHN‬ ‪#‎Celebration‬ @thebeat945"

It will be interesting to see how CKNW spins this book. They're down 6/10th of a share to an overall 8.8. That's summer to fall. Compare this Fall to last year's Fall book and it's a much bigger drop - 10.5 down to the all time low of 8.8.

One big question is how much of that audience did Bro Jake from Team 1040 steal from the CKNW morning show. Could that become another threat to the mighty former Top Dog.
Blabbermouth
Advanced Member

Next

Return to Vancouver PPM May 30, 2022 - August 28,2022