CKST Becomes Q 104

A radio site without audio is like a TV station with no pictures.

CKST Becomes Q 104

Postby radiofan » Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:28 pm

At midnight on September 30, 1993 'The Spirit Of Radio' Coast 1040 and it's Modern Rock format were replaced by Q-104 and Adult Standards music.

The end of Coast 1040 and birth of Q-104 Click Here

Most of the Q-104 staff was old CHQM staff who were displaced when Fairchild took over 1320 and changed the format to ethnic programming.

Here's a portion of Q-104's first morning on the air with morning man Brian Brenn.

Click Here
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby Donovan » Sun Oct 15, 2006 11:44 am

An interesting couple of airchecks. The transition from modern rock to standards was sloppy to say the least. No ID, just straight from one to the other. What ever happened to Paul forster and wade comer? Was Coast always this laid-back?

I remember Q-104 in its early days. As I recall it became AM104 a month later, then AM1040. Then they started experimenting with conservative talk. Any idea what the deal was with the mass confusion of that station? I met Harry the Weatherman (Harrold roberts) once, and he described it as a "timebomb".

As an aside, CHQM-AM (Memory Music 1320 AM) was still playing standards at the time, although they would switch to ethnic programming in early '94. Brian Phillips came over from CFUN to replace Terry Bell in PM drive until the format change.
Donovan

Re: CKST becomes Q-104

Postby Scottwpg » Mon May 05, 2014 4:41 pm

I notice the links posted above don't work any longer. Any chance of reposting them?

I'd especially love to hear the first few minutes of Q-104 or any other airchecks of Adult Standards stations you might have, Radiofan.
Scottwpg

Postby tuned » Mon May 05, 2014 5:18 pm

I produced a TV spot for them as Magic 104. They had Burns and Larry King plus Sinatra/MOR tunes in between. I think it would be have been in the 90s. I still have the spot kicking around on a reel somewhere...
tuned
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Mon May 05, 2014 9:10 pm

Scottwpg wrote:I notice the links posted above don't work any longer. Any chance of reposting them?

I'd especially love to hear the first few minutes of Q-104 or any other airchecks of Adult Standards stations you might have, Radiofan.

Hey Scott ... Welcome to Radiowest.ca! Thanks for noticing the dead links. In the past eight years we've changed our web hosting a few times, so i guess a few things have gotten lost along
the way. I've uploaded both files so they are once again available. I'll dig around and see if I have any other Adult Standards airchecks. Do you have any Starlight 1290 Winnipeg airchecks? I'd
love to hear former CFOX jock Bert Gordon playing Sinatra instead of Zeppelin!

tuned wrote:I produced a TV spot for them as Magic 104. They had Burns and Larry King plus Sinatra/MOR tunes in between. I think it would be have been in the 90s. I still have the spot kicking around on a reel somewhere...

If you find it tuned, pls pass it along and we'll post it!
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: CKST Becomes Q 104

Postby Scottwpg » Tue May 06, 2014 10:30 am

Thanks Radiofan! That'd be great if you could dig around for some similar airchecks.

I don't have any 1290 Starlight airchecks, but a friend is supposed to pass some on to me in the next little while. I'll keep an ear out for Bert Gordon.

He was great in the Adult Standards format! He had a lot of personality. I actually can't imagine him playing Zeppelin instead of Sinatra, but a great jock is a great jock. The formats can have similarities if you look for them.
Scottwpg

Return to This week's feature aircheck(s)