Jim Brady passes

Your Updates for CalgaryBroadcasters.com

Jim Brady passes

Postby radiofan » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:19 pm

Just heard that one time CHQR (1983-84) Morning guy Jim Brady (Felton) passed away today in Toledo, OH after a battle with cancer. Jim worked at many stations on both sides of the border
including CKLW Windsor, CFTR, CJCL Toronto, KLAC Los Angeles, KRIZ Phoenix ...

"Come get me mother, I'm thru..."
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: Jim Brady passes

Postby radiofan » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:54 pm

Published: Friday, 4/11/2014

Jim Felton prepares for final sign-off
BY KIRK BAIRD
BLADE STAFF WRITER

How do you thoroughly summarize a life and a career in a column space?

When it’s Jim Felton — a longtime DJ, born and raised in Toledo, who, as Jim Brady, delivered the No. 1 morning show in Toronto for years at Top 40 CFTR-AM — I’m not sure that you can.

Felton, 67 and terminally ill with cancer, enjoyed a five-decade run in radio that included stints in three of the biggest markets in North America, including Los Angeles and Dallas-Forth Worth. Locally, he’s best known for his career bookends at WCWA-AM 1230 in the 1960s, when it was still WTOL-AM, where he first broadcast, and WRQN-FM 93.5, where he signed off for good in 2008.

As a popular morning DJ, Felton interviewed hundreds of celebrities. He partied with a Monty Python and a Beatle — Eric Idle and George Harrison — on a first-class flight to London. And in 1977, he was among the lucky few to watch the Rolling Stones perform one of the band’s legendary surprise club dates at the El Mocambo in downtown Toronto.

Read the full story at http://www.toledoblade.com/KirkBaird/20 ... DDWtHRy.99
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: Jim Brady passes

Postby Tom Jeffries » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:55 pm

Across Canada there are a lot of sad people tonight.

Jim and I worked at CFTR, in 1976-78 - and although we were not buddies, (*I worked nights and he worked Mornings) - he was always cordial and a ton of fun to be around.

Take a look at Bill Dulmage’s aircheck page *linked here, and see Jim and the rest of the jocks, except us lowly evening dudes, on the cover of Toronto Weekly.

Jim was a great jock and had the resume to prove it.

Sadly, I have lost so many people I worked with and enjoyed, and now this.

A part of my life and radio career just dimmed, at the loss of Jim.

My condolences not just to his wife and Family - but to his Radio Family as well. In Calgary, Toronto, wherever.
Tom Jeffries
Advanced Member

Return to Calgary Broadcasters