AMP Radio Calgary set to relaunch August 1

Radio news from Alberta

AMP Radio Calgary set to relaunch August 1

Postby radiofan » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:20 pm

Calgary CHR AMP Radio is running jockless and the station will relaunch on August 1 at 9:00AM.

Will Calgary get a second Country FM?
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: AMP Radio Calgary set to relaunch August 1

Postby briancook451 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:41 pm

I have heard that Newcap is expanding the Radio brand to both Calgary and Moncton as well as a few other markets. I would assume this is the change in that is happening in Calgary
briancook451

Postby DenMan1965 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:51 am

Looks like Newcap flipped 889 which was news talk to Rock889. Will Amp be Rock903? Wait till Friday

DenMan
DenMan1965
Advanced Member

Postby DirkSteele » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:50 am

I hope whatever they are launching in Calgary hits the ground full blast.

In Saint John, NB, Newcap launched their new "Rock 88.9" billing 30 days of nothing but music and a half assed Newcap cookie cutter website with little or nothing in the modules (http://www.rock889.ca). I think the days you can get away with that in a PPM market are long gone. It wouldn't be my choice in a diary market either. The smart way is to dry run the station on closed circuit for a few weeks so when you flip the transmitter on (or take your stalling programming off the air, Christmas music or whatever) you have a rehearsed product ready to go.

Music and imaging only flips sound lazy, showing the listener only part of a final product until you get your staffing straight. I think that strategy backfires in a PPM market. A big jukebox is hardly a tune in a large market especially if the plan is to go up the crack of an existing format. Think of a restaurant....they do their dry runs first. They wouldn't be very successful if they opened their doors with only appetizers on the menu promising the steak will be served in 30 days.

Test your "food" on friends and family for a month then open to the public with everything on the menu.
DirkSteele
Advanced Member

Postby albertaboy4life » Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:30 pm

66-CFR's launch in Calgary, back in 1984, was proof positive of what Dirk describes above.

If it's country that AMP takes on as its new format, I beg again that it not be like Big Earl in Edmonton.
Faster cars, younger women, older cheese, more money . . .
albertaboy4life
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:51 pm

albertaboy4life wrote:not be like Big Earl in Edmonton.

I know too little about the genre to agree or disagree, but Big Earl was considered a really good idea by those in the biz locally at the time. Even when you disqualify the Newcap employees involved, as perhaps a little biased.

Big Earl was apparently the first (Canadian or perhaps even World's) attempt at using the Jack-FM approach to Country music.

There also was a window of opportunity for a 100% Contemporary Country station as CISN-FM had started playing some Traditional Country. It was CISN's attempt to attract some CFCW listeners, but it backfired as many younger listeners, who had no connection to Traditional Country, started looking elsewhere.

As I understand it, CISN realized their mistake and their ratings came back almost immediately.

Speaking of CFCW, Newcap also owns them. Could we see a full-service Country station in Calgary, on FM? If so, what happens to Q91 in Drumheller?
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Aaron » Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:26 pm

Why on earth does anyone think this is a format change? When are those ever teased by the station and staff?
Aaron
Advanced Member

Postby The Palliser Square » Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:31 pm

jon wrote:
Speaking of CFCW, Newcap also owns them. Could we see a full-service Country station in Calgary, on FM? If so, what happens to Q91 in Drumheller?

CFCW has always had listeners in Edmonton. Q 91 is not a factor in Calgary. They don't subscribe to BBM because they know where they'd show in the Calgary book.

Q-91 might have had a chance against CFAC when they raised their power and moved their TX site to Strathmore.

As that project was in progress, a new FM station named CKRY appeared. So much for the Drumheller blowtorch making inroads in Calgary.

No matter what happens in Calgary, Q-91 can keep serving their Drumheller and rural listeners as they have done for 30 plus years.
The Palliser Square

Postby pave » Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:44 pm

When we were prepping for the launch of 66-CFR, we all did everything as-if we were, in fact, "live". (A few really terrific lines got lost to the ether.)
Even though we were running the cold, dead and flatter-that-piss-on-a-plate board feed through our cans 'cause there was no carrier monitor, it was the best-spent 6 weeks of my career.
We came out kickin' ass and let somebody else take names and finish the body count.
It was all over but the yelling -- in about 30 days.
pave
Advanced Member

Postby TRENT310 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:45 pm

The Palliser Square wrote:No matter what happens in Calgary, Q-91 can keep serving their Drumheller and rural listeners as they have done for 30 plus years.

Excellent. I'm starting to run out of options with all these FM flips going on.
TRENT310
Advanced Member

Postby DenMan1965 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:24 pm

Looks like Amp 903 will be Radio 903 August 1. Just like sister station Radio965 in Halifax. Sounds like its a Triple A station. Was this station not Triple A when it first signed on the air as CFUL?? Why would they go back to something that failed. Best of luck Newcap

DenMan1965
DenMan1965
Advanced Member

Postby Rocky » Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:17 pm

I hope this isn't what AMP will evolve into Radio 903

DenMan1965 wrote: Was this station not Triple A when it first signed on the air as CFUL?? Why would they go back to something that failed. Best of luck Newcap

DenMan1965

Yes DenMan it was Fuel 90.3 (cheapest gas in town) with a triple eh format that failed miserably.

Are they going to battle Pattison's recently launched Peak for a smaller piece of the pie than AMP ever had?

Didn't NewCap just ditch tripe A on it's recently acquired 104.3 in Vancouver?

Country 105 is ripe for the picking and nobody has the balls to take them on.

There's a 5 share waiting for someone to grab.
Rocky
Advanced Member

Postby Aaron » Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:52 am

DenMan1965 wrote:Looks like Amp 903 will be Radio 903 August 1.

No it doesn't. There is nothing that makes it look like it will be radio 903. Or country.
Aaron
Advanced Member

Postby Rocky » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:05 am

Listening for the update is 10 minutes I'll never get back.

Usual bogus NewCap.

The station is now 90.3 AMP with the sell line TWICE THE MUSIC.

It took 8 days to make a few cosmetic changes?
Last edited by Rocky on Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rocky
Advanced Member

Postby albertaboy4life » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:05 am

Uhm . . . so "Twice. The. Music." is the update? It took them 8 days to do that?

More cheap publicity for the station that likes to burn money? Figuratively and literally . . .
Faster cars, younger women, older cheese, more money . . .
albertaboy4life
Advanced Member

Next

Return to Alberta