Ed Mason Retiring

Radio news from Alberta

Ed Mason Retiring

Postby flyonthewall » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:21 am

The fly was visiting Edmonton's Corus building and noticed Bob Layton finishing up his all staff memo announcing Ed Mason's retirement at the end of the month.

Doctor's orders, to avoid a repeat of his heart attack a few years ago.
flyonthewall
Advanced Member

Re: Ed Mason Retiring

Postby radiofan » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:39 am

Bob Layton's memo to Corus Edmonton staff:

August 19, 2013

Hello all,

This is a memo I hoped I would never have to write. We are losing a most valuable and dependable member of our team, who, in all the years he has been here, has seldom failed to deliver a fresh story first thing in the morning, and another before his shift is over.

His ability to craft a sentence and deliver it for all it's worth should be an inspiration to every broadcaster.

After more than 50 years behind the microphone, Ed Mason is retiring at the end of the month.

In Ed's words:

" I've been under doctor's orders to reduce stress to lessen the risk of another heart attack. He suggested the competitive deadline nature of the news business is too stressful. I replied that I would take my chances.

...but getting up at 1:30am every work day while struggling to cope with a personally devastating hearing loss and the resulting isolation I now feel can no longer be ignored. Although I believe I do my job very well, I have been considering a change for some time. After discussing options with Bob and Syd earlier this summer, my future path became clear.

After almost 40-years of morning news in Edmonton and never driving to work in daylight, I still look forward to the challenges and excitement but as the long ago singer put it:

it's a long long time from May to December

but the days grow short when you reach September

and when the autumn weather turns the leaves to flame

one hasn't got time for the waiting game."

While I appreciate Ed's situation, if we're quoting songs, my heart goes to Tina Turner's You're Simply The Best. If we were still using typewriters, this memo might well have a tear stain at the bottom, but I know we all wish Ed a wonderful retirement.

Bob Layton​

Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby Eileen » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:45 am

I will certainly miss working with Ed. His smile and professionalism help make every day better in our newsroom.
Eileen

Postby Tom Jeffries » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:53 am

Ed Mason - my goodness what a great career. I enjoyed working with him, in Victoria, many, many, years ago.

He was a delight.

Take care of your health and enjoy the SUNSHINE and daylight, Ed.

You are to be congratulated on your years behind the mike.

A true professional, in every sense of the word.
Tom Jeffries
Advanced Member

Postby 45 RPM » Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:54 pm

Being able to listen to CHED in the morning and Ed's newscasts is one of the advantages of living in Alberta.

Health comes before anything else Ed.

Thank you for your many years of keeping Albertan's informed in your unique style.

Wishing you a happy, healthy retirement. Toss away that alarm clock on the 29th.

You'll be missed.
45 RPM
Advanced Member

Postby Mike Cleaver » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:04 pm

Had the great privilege of working with Ed in the newsroom at 1050 CHUM in the early '70s and remaining friends when I was in Edmonton working across the street from him at CJCA in the late '70s and early '80s.
And those memorable RTNDA boat cruises.
One of the true professionals in the radio news business and I'm glad he outlasted almost all of the others.
I too am now wearing hearing aids in both ears.
It's an occupational hazard.
Hoping you have a glorious retirement!
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Engineering, News, Voice work and Consulting
Vancouver, BC, Canada

54 years experience at some of Canada's Premier Broadcasting Stations
Mike Cleaver
Advanced Member

Postby kal » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:15 am

I will miss his occasional news clips as carried here on CKNW.
kal
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:45 am

Farewell, Ed
Edmonton, AB, Canada / 630 CHED
630ched.com
Bob Layton
August 29, 2014 02:00 am

This is a sad day for me.

One of the greatest newsmen I have ever had the opportunity to work with is retiring.

Ed Mason seems to have been born for this business.

As a beginner, back in Flin Flon, one of his first opportunities came on what looked like a slow news day.

The regular reader left early and told Ed to look after things.

The date was November 22, 1963.

Ed was on the desk when word came in of the assassination of President Kennedy.

When Ed came to work with us at 630 CHED, he raised the bar.

More than anyone, between newscasts, Ed would be on the phone, seeking a new story or an update on a current one.

He never stopped.

We joked that when he retired, he would have to have the phone surgically removed from his ear.

Ed developed relationships with the Edmonton Police Service and the RCMP that helped us tell what happened at Mayerthorpe.

No one else can write like Ed, or turn a phrase the way he does.

My favorite line of all time was when the man who sang, “The good old hockey game,” died.

In Ed’s words, “Stompin’ Tom Connors has kicked the plywood bucket.”

Farewell Ed, and have a wonderful retirement.
jon
Advanced Member

Return to Alberta