News Talk 770 fails again

Radio news from Alberta

News Talk 770 fails again

Postby Rocky » Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:04 pm

Made the drive in to Calgary, this morning, despite my better judgement.

Sure seemed like News Talk 770 was down for the count again. Snow storm equaled being off air for nearly an hour this morning after 7. Amazingly, Country 105 and Q-107 were on the air.

770's classy morning host comes back from second commercial break, after the station returned to the AM band, to announce that 770 was back on air but they're not sure how long they were off. Seriously? No monitors left?

Followed then by a segment with Rutherford's replacements trying to "inform" folks when to call 3-1-1. Unreal . . . ha ha ha yeah Roger sure is great people want to know when their garbage will be picked up.

Can't wait for the latest hyperbole laden tripe the GM delivers to explain this latest period of silence while the City of Calgary had its emergency center up and running.

He'll probably bully Angela Kokott on air like he did when explaining the station's failure to serve the community during last year's flood.

Strike 2! News Talk 770

Yeah 660 News went off the air too but probably no more than 10 minutes and at least they can say they moved to new digs and hadn't ironed out all of the backup arrangements in time.
Rocky
Advanced Member

Re: News Talk 770 fails again

Postby radiofan » Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:44 pm

Thank god it was just a snow storm and not a flood!
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:01 pm

A power outage for 30,000 homes and businesses, many of which will not see power for more than 24 hours, can be a major issue. Especially when the temperature outdoors has hovered right around the freezing point for the entire period.

I'm sure the natural gas is still flowing, but with no electricity to power the furnace fan, most will not have any heat for their house.

Some telephone lines are out, and even if cell service is available at some point, how long are those smartphone batteries going to last?

Sounds to me like Radio will be the only information service available for most of these people.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby erinskyekelly » Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:27 am

I am in no way affiliated with News Talk 770 anymore, but I think it is worth noting that the radio station experienced a fire in 2012, and had to relocate to a temporary location, where they still operate. Running 3 stations from a temporary location is a difficult task, especially when you do not have the same controls over power/electricity, internet, etc., as you do when you are in a permanent location.
I am confident that when the station moves to it's permanent location next year, they will not be as affected by emergencies as they are now. I'm sure everyone there will appreciate not feeling like they are constantly "on location." From an operational standpoint, I bet they will be stronger than ever. I don't know why they never bothered explaining that to the listening audience because it sure looks like a weakness from the outside looking in. However, if you saw from the inside how the engineers, news team, production team and management operate under the craziest conditions you'd know that they are a force to be reckoned with when they can plant deep roots once again.
erinskyekelly

Postby rtirdnewsguy » Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:26 pm

Having gone without power for a long time in this latest Calgary disaster - I was extremely dissapointed to hear the mid-morning show switch from storm coverage to trivial, stupid topics on Tuesday Wednesday and Thursday. Thousands and thousands of Calgarians didn't have power . Millions in damage from fallen trees across the city. There is virtually NO communication to desperate Calgarians from CITY-OWNED power supplier Enmax . Then I hear this nimrod Roger saying even though there has been a huge storm - its ' buiness as usual ' on his show. This guy is easily the worst talk-show host I have EVER HEARD - and I can say that without hesitation, because I have had the priviledge to work with several of THE BEST ! He comes across as arrogant and petulant, with little or no talent - pathetic to say the least. I feel bad for Breckenridge who has been wedged into this show - he has to try to work with this jerk. QR will NEVER again ' SET DEEP ROOTS ' in Calgary until they find people who can provide INTELLIGENT insight and respect for the listeners.
rtirdnewsguy
Advanced Member

Postby erinskyekelly » Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:46 pm

Well I didn't listen to the coverage, so perhaps you have a point. I just meant that it is no surprise that they were off air based on the temporary configurations.
erinskyekelly

Postby The Palliser Square » Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:14 pm

Temporary location is no excuse. After the fire they should have had more backup systems than Carter's has pills. Then came the flood. Ooops.

The problem here isn't location. It's people people at the top running the good ship QR 77. People with masters degrees in incompetance.

If the STL failed becasue of a power outage, where's the backup Telus lines to the TX?

The so called morning guy is such a blockhead, he doesn't know if the station is on the air or off.

I too feel sorry for Breckenride having to share a mic with Dudley Dipshit.

Where's Terry Moore when you need him?
The Palliser Square

Postby Rocky » Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:50 pm

Let's be more complete with history, please.

CHQR had a near bullet proof operation at One Palliser Square. In 1986 when moving from 810 to 770, the 770 transmitter site had a nearly completed back-up studio including other amenities. Don't get me started on the remote broadcast equipment the station has in place.

They are in temporary facilities because of a poorly executed move to SHAW Court. That facility was not bullet proof. It got flooded by the sprinkler system after an electrical fire. - July 2012 -

Afterwards, CHQR moved to Eau Claire. Again, the station got flooded. - June 2013 -

Now a snow storm hits, the station goes off the air again and does a half ass job. - September 2014 -

How do you define temporary? More than two years? It's nonsense, period.

How many chances to prove one's competence should anyone be given? Why is two out of three stations operating acceptable? Better yet, why should the music stations (Country 105 and Q-107) take priority over the self-proclaimed News Talk market leader?

Why should a listener have to wait any longer for the station to deliver?

I suppose by the reasoning posted above, the station should say "due to temporary facilities, our incompetence and every other conceivable reason possible we cannot even attempt to be here to help you when you need us. Please do turn somewhere else for the latest news and weather. We'll try to be on the air offering something sometime soon when there isn't as much of an emergency."
Rocky
Advanced Member

Postby groundskeeper willy » Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:46 pm

Well said, Rocky, if we were at a bar, I'd buy you a beer as a sign of appreciation for you knowledge and ability to clearly state facts.
groundskeeper willy
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Sun Sep 14, 2014 3:22 pm

In 1984 CHQR moved studio locations from 830 9th Avenue SW to One Palliser Square. Total time off air: 0:00

In 1986, CHQR changed frequency from 810 to 770 and moved to a new transmitter site. Total time off air: Under 10 seconds

I guess the bar has really been lowered in the past few years.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby Eldon-Mr.CFAY » Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:50 am

Greetings, I completely agree with what Rocky and RadioFan have said about what is going on with QR 770 AM in Calgary, Alberta. No excuse for a major market News Talk station to operate in this manner.

Hopefully they might finally get a wake=up call about this but I doubt it. Radiofan is correct on what he said about the down time with the two moves in the 1980s , I was in Calgary and remember that.

Take care everyone, All the best from Eldon
Bye . . Mr. CFAY "Frequently On The Frequency"
The CFAY Website: http://cfayradio.wordpress.com
CFAY Radio: http://tinyurl.com/l9qqmh
Eldon-Mr.CFAY
Advanced Member

Return to Alberta