Vancouver Radio Schedule January 1961

Bits and Pieces of BC Radio History

Vancouver Radio Schedule January 1961

Postby radiofan » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:25 pm

Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: Vancouver Radio Schedule January 1961

Postby skyvalleyradio » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:02 pm

wow! Thanks for posting this Radiofan. I seem to recall that "The Sun" would occasionally run radio schedules but these were usually short-lived efforts for whatever reasons.

CKLG = morning show "Ross' Roost" Who is this?? I know this is MOR/Talk/easy listening CKLG pre-Moffat ownership and format change to Top 40. As a kid I remember Jack Webster on CKLG as my mom listened to 730 a lot at that time

KARI 550 = Although not obvious from the listings, in 1961 KARI was a 500 watt daytimer whose signal had to protect KOAC 550 Corvallis, OR, therefore sunset sign-off. Being a non-commercial campus station, KOAC was off air all Sunday as was the practice by many campus broadcasters at the time. Sundays only, KARI broadcast all evening and signed off at midnight. They survived on paid religion daily until 2pm, then switched to a country format (complete with ads) until sunset. Mutual News. Their signal was fairly audible in Kerrisdale at this time & it introduced me to country music. A few years later they boosted power to 5000 watts and received night-time directional, reduced power authority approx 1965

CKNW = Sunday evening it looks like NW had a French language program at 10:15pm although the complete listing is cut off by the scan size

CHUB = Saturday mornings at 8am the mighty Tom Peacock before moving on to Vancouver radio. Is this his only airshift on 1570? I note some of the CHUM music show listings with 'generic' program titles & wonder if he was the DJ/host for any of these.
skyvalleyradio
Advanced Member

Postby Mike Cleaver » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:33 pm

Great to see Cal Colemans name listed for evenings on CFUN.
What a piece of work he was, 98 pounds soaking wet with the voice of God.
He showed up at CKOV in Kelowna in '63 but didn't last very long, having a well known addiction to the bottle.
As I posted in my CKOV history blog, he was fired during the Kelowna Regatta when Sales Manager Dave Dunn and the National Advertising rep for Canada Safeway had to step over his seemingly dead body (clad in station logoed jacket, no less) to get into the Royal Anne Lounge.
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Engineering, News, Voice work and Consulting
Vancouver, BC, Canada

54 years experience at some of Canada's Premier Broadcasting Stations
Mike Cleaver
Advanced Member

Postby Talker » Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:11 pm

CKLG = morning show "Ross' Roost" Who is this?? I know this is MOR/Talk/easy listening CKLG pre-Moffat ownership and format change to Top 40.

I'm going to say it was Ross Mortimer. Any other suggestions?
Talker
Advanced Member

Postby cart_machine » Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:49 pm

skyvalleyradio wrote:wow! Thanks for posting this Radiofan. I seem to recall that "The Sun" would occasionally run radio schedules but these were usually short-lived efforts for whatever reasons.

CKLG = morning show "Ross' Roost" Who is this??

By this time, the weekly Vancouver radio schedules were published every Friday.

Whoever Ross was, he was de-roosted by about May 1961, replaced with "Breakfast Bell." The first listings I can find for the show are in late October 1960.

cArtie.
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:22 pm

I don't know whose Roost it was, but it wasn't Ross Mortimer's. He is listed (above) on CJOR doing mid-mornings.

I assume that Mr. Roost replaced Ron Morrier who was Morning Man when LG moved to 730 in mid-1958.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Alan A » Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:54 pm

Vancouver Broadcasters lists a Ross Kenzie who worked at CKLG in the 1950s.

No specific dates for his time at CKLG or any other info about him.
Alan A

Postby cart_machine » Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:21 pm

Alan A wrote:Vancouver Broadcasters lists a Ross Kenzie who worked at CKLG in the 1950s.

No specific dates for his time at CKLG or any other info about him.

He became PD at CHVC Niagara Falls in 1961. If it's him at 'LG, that would explain the change in morning shows that year. He had been P.D. at that station in 1959, according to the Radio and Television Year Book.

By the end of the '60s he was the head Visitor and Convention Bureau of Niagara Falls and running a motel there. In 1972, he was hired as Director of Tourism for the Convention and Tourist Bureau ol Metropolitan Toronto.

cArtie.
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Return to BC Radio History