Bonjour - JP gets another award

Stories and info about those no longer involved in the industry

Bonjour - JP gets another award

Postby Jack Bennest » Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:48 am

New entry to the BC Sports Hall of Fame is former Lions play-by-play man J.P. McConnell in the Media category.

McConnell was inducted into the BC Football Hall of Fame in 2013.

Maybe you can find that CFAC shot of JP very young with Cubby :occasion5:
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Re: Bonjour - JP gets another award

Postby radiofan » Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:45 pm

Here a couple of mid 1960's shots from Calgary's CFAC featuring Cam McCubbin and J. Paul McConnel ...

Thanks for the pics Cam! Any chance of posting who's who?
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby CubbyCam » Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:08 am

radiofan wrote:Here a couple of mid 1960's shots from Calgary's CFAC featuring Cam McCubbin and J. Paul McConnel ...

Back row, left to right: Fred Kazakoff, J.P. McConnell, Lorne Ball, Ken McCreath, Dennis Corrie
Front row, left to right: Campbell McCubbin, Harry Berisoff, Johnny McGuinness, Bob Zens, Jack Herrman.

Back row, left to right: Lorne Ball, Jack Hermann, Don Collins, J. P. McConnell, Fred Kazakoff.
Front row on bench: Campbell McCubbin

Thanks for the pics Cam! Any chance of posting who's who?

DONE! :salute:
CubbyCam
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:22 am

Thank you Campbell ... anyone ever accused you of having a photographic memory??
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:18 am

Met Ken McCreath at the CBC - great guy :rockon:
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby StevenSmith » Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:15 am

Top photo, Bob Zens, that is my Canadian cousin. Along with the inspiration of being like some of the mid-sixties KPUG guys (Kirk Wilde, Gary Shannon, Steve West) Bob was a reason I went into broadcasting. My first real exposure and interest in radio was in 1966 when I was walking downtown and heard California Dreaming booming out of Bellingham's Newberrys store. It was a Kirk Wilde remote. I watched him and got the radio bug. And, as part of my indoctrination to radio, I would stay up late to catch the skywave from CFAC to listen to cousin Bob. He did a night shift at the time. At the present time, we are in Email contact most days and talk on the phone every few weeks. He is doing well, long retired from radio, and he lives in Saskatoon in a high rise condo with a great river and city view.
StevenSmith

Postby CubbyCam » Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:15 pm

StevenSmith wrote:Top photo, Bob Zens, that is my Canadian cousin. At the present time, we are in Email contact most days and talk on the phone every few weeks. He is doing well, long retired from radio, and he lives in Saskatoon in a high rise condo with a great river and city view.

Great to hear Bob's still kickin', out there on the prairies. He may remember our nickname for him... "Snavely"... Please say hi to him when you next chat... from a colleague a long time ago, far far away. ;-) (Cam McCubbin)
CubbyCam
Advanced Member

Return to Radio People History