NY Post Article Predicts The Demise Of Radio In Cars

General Radio News and Comments, Satellite & Internet Radio and LPFM

NY Post Article Predicts The Demise Of Radio In Cars

Postby radiofan » Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:55 am

NY Post Article Predicts The Demise Of Radio In Cars, Broadcast Execs Firmly Disagree
March 20, 2015 at 3:51 AM (PT)

An article in THE NEW YORK POST is sure to get the hairs on the back of radio executives standing up. The article begins, "Video didn’t kill the radio star, but SIRIUSXM and streaming services like PANDORA are taking it apart piece by piece. Terrestrial radio, after years of maintaining its vise-like grip as the dominant in-car entertainment provider, will soon see thousands of motorists turn it off, a WALL STREET report on WEDNESDAY forecasted."

The article points to radio's current success, noting, "Terrestrial radio still owns an 80% share of car listenership," but notes, "It will start to lose up to 1.5% a year of that market share as streamers like PANDORA enter the market."

- See more at: http://www.allaccess.com/net-news/archi ... klbpo.dpuf
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: NY Post Article Predicts The Demise Of Radio In Cars

Postby jon » Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:31 pm

In Canada, it all depends on how many Canadians opt for paying the costs of delivering the Internet to their Internet-equipped cars. Which, in turn, depends on how much wireless service providers charge.

The one "Ringer" in this little game that will be playing out in the years ahead is Competitive Technologies for delivering Internet service to the car without using the normal Cellular providers. So far, the only one that is making any headlines is SiriusXM satellite technology. And I'm not sure how practical that is going to turn out to be as a Cellular replacement.

Ironically, if SiriusXM fails as an alternative, Cellular providers will feel more comfortable charging more for their services, which could drive car owners to SiriusXM for a beefed up version of their satellite radio instead of their proposed Cellular Internet competitive technology.

My point is that there are lots of unknowns, and they may play out slightly differently in Canada than the U.S. due to our very different Cellular market.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Tom Jeffries » Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:09 pm

I think Radio Programmers that are snarkily saying that they are always going to be "the go to" media, in car, are so typical of the suits that have taken this business into the river.
Look - the Internet when it started, we were all told it was a 'fancy chat room'....and ignore it.

Oops.

Then we were told that the Net wasn't going to impact how we 'consume and enjoy music' - uh, hello iTunes.

Radio suits, keep collecting their big cheques. while the business burns to the ground.

Most millenials have never heard of AM radio and they might listen in the car for traffic - but - with bluetooth - they bring along their entire music library on their iPhone, or Galaxy, and to hell with the Million dollar morning man, with the stupid hat.

Oops.

If you want to hear how bad things are getting.....consider this - CKNW opted for programming from The United States, NPR, over 'live and local'.

Breathtakingly stunned move.
Tom Jeffries
Advanced Member

Postby pave » Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:40 pm

If radio is to survive in the dash - or anywhere else, it is going to have to come to a stark realization.
The MUSIC will have to be treated as a secondary service.
"Personalities" and pertinent content will be the only life-saving elements.
And, I tell ya, they are going to have to be very, very good.
Meanwhile, the suits keep hollering and slapping the water - while the sharks patiently circle.
pave
Advanced Member

Postby Tom Jeffries » Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:37 pm

Pave - well chosen words. I concur.

How many stunningly great personalities do we hear now?
Tom Jeffries
Advanced Member

Postby PMC » Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:55 pm

The Post article is rehashed news... this very site covered the topic previously.

Tom, I looked at the cums for Van radio... CBC is the winner and I can hear why. Don't understand why IK doesn't hear the same.

Info is in, The listener/viewer today wants the info and can deliver/feedback the same, because of the available tools... cell/video etc.

Radio is on the net... the radio receiver device now varies... and can be anywhere... there are cell phones with FM recievers built in and the touch screen software to change stations.
PMC

Postby Coolcat » Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:39 am

PMC wrote:Tom, I looked at the cums for Van radio... CBC is the winner and I can hear why. Don't understand why IK doesn't hear the same.

Info is in, The listener/viewer today wants the info and can deliver/feedback the same, because of the available tools... cell/video etc.

I am not an apologist for NW by any means but I think the dilemma is that programming talk radio, info radio or whatever you want to call it is extremely expensive in today's broadcast economics so the only option is to hire airheads or inexperienced kids who work cheap and will sacrifice on air credibility for the station or expand syndication where the costs get spread out between multiple outlets which will allow for experienced talent to continue. CBC is an anomaly as they really dont need to be concerned about budgets as the taxpayers will take care of the costs.

What I am waiting for is technology which will allow commercials on Internet radio that is dependent on the listener's ip address. This will allow a Vancouver station to see advertising revenues from listeners all over the world who will hear local ads during commercial breaks. This will allow stations to concentrate on content at a high level or sink. Good potential but any train wrecks like NW's current programming will be given the silver bullet in no time.
Coolcat
Advanced Member

Postby PMC » Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:40 am

Coolcat wrote:What I am waiting for is technology which will allow commercials on Internet radio that is dependent on the listener's ip address. This will allow a Vancouver station to see advertising revenues from listeners all over the world who will hear local ads during commercial breaks. This will allow stations to concentrate on content at a high level or sink. Good potential but any train wrecks like NW's current programming will be given the silver bullet in no time.

Don't hold your breath on global revenues....Why the need to track the listener and what if the listener does not want to be tracked ? The biggest issue today about the internet is the tracking/capturing of data.

It is the greedy and stupid that are destroying the ethics and integrity of the internet network. The internet works the same as a regular telephone system. Your IP address is a base 2 binary and translates to a 19 digit phone number and yes it is easily tapped. Stop believing the cyber hype and see the reality.

As for NW, their long time listeners went to CBC... for the info, not the talk.
PMC

Return to General Radio News