Boss Radio Turns 50 on April 28th

A look back at various radio stations

Boss Radio Turns 50 on April 28th

Postby jon » Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:19 pm

The legendary home of Boss Radio, KHJ-930 in Los Angeles, debuted the Boss Radio format at 3:00 p.m. on Wednesday, April 28th, 1965, with The Real Don Steele the first to open the mic. with the new format.

This Tuesday marks the 50th Anniversary.

By the mid-Sixties, KHJ was a low rated Middle of the Road radio station, with little prospect of much improvement. Bill Drake was brought in to change that, using the same Much More Music approach that had worked in Fresno, including Ron Jacobs as Program Director.

As well as that success, KHJ also had a proud heritage dating back to the 1920s, when there were many newspaper articles, even from places like Chilliwack, naming KHJ as the station with the best musical programming that could be easily received in British Columbia at night.

(Thanks to Ron Jacobs for reminding everyone of the upcoming anniversary on reelradio.com)
jon
Advanced Member

Re: Boss Radio Turns 50 on April 28th

Postby arthurdent » Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:16 pm

Probably common knowledge, but KHJ stood for 'Kindness, Health and Joy', and at one point in its history, the station had three little birds in the studio (named Kindness, Health & Joy) that would chirp away during certain programs. Like the producer/ops on....(oh stop it!)....
arthurdent
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:04 am

Back then, here is what listeners got back from the station to verify their reported reception.

jon
Advanced Member

Postby Neumann Sennheiser » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:59 am

KHJ's iconic art deco building on Melrose has always had my vote as the coolest looking and best located address in Top 40 radio heritage; with Paramount Film Studios as the over-the-back-fence neighbor.

...and..the saddest day:

"You don't know man! I was in radio man! I've seen things you wouldn't believe!"
Neumann Sennheiser
Advanced Member

Postby Neumann Sennheiser » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:12 am

The Board:

The basic floor plan:

"You don't know man! I was in radio man! I've seen things you wouldn't believe!"
Neumann Sennheiser
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:54 pm

arthurdent wrote:Probably common knowledge, but KHJ stood for 'Kindness, Health and Joy', and at one point in its history, the station had three little birds in the studio (named Kindness, Health & Joy) that would chirp away during certain programs. Like the producer/ops on....(oh stop it!)....

I've always seen it as 'Kindness, Happiness and Joy'

From Wiki: Callsign meaning Kindness, Happiness and Joy

Somewhere I have a mid 1960's KHJ promotional brochure that also uses 'Happiness'
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Return to Radio Station History