Roy Otis

Stories and info about those no longer involved in the industry

Roy Otis

Postby radiofan » Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:12 pm

Anyone remember the character Roy Otis on the Robin & Maynard show on KXRX, KISW or KZOK?

A friend in Portland sent along a YouTube link to a Roy Otis mid 70's aircheck at an Eastern Oregon station.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaSoXSXSeyw

Is this the same Roy Otis? Is it possible John Maynard started his career at this station and did this parody aircheck before moving on to Seattle?

It's entertaining small market radio regardless!
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: Roy Otis

Postby Neumann Sennheiser » Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:28 am

A few points; there is no KOPS, not now, never has been. There's not even a 730 frequency in that part of Oregon near Portland. This is almost certainly a faked parody but it's pretty well done and FUNNY.
The Roy Otis voice does sound similar to the Roy Otis character from the old Robin and Maynard KXRX morning show. It may even be the same person, who knows? (..well, John Maynard of course would know and he wouldn't be that hard to get hold of).
Roy Otis (on KXRX) was a hilarious part of Robin and Maynard's show and owns one of the funniest lines I have ever heard on the air.
During a dialogue on the Christmas season police roadside check programs in the Seattle area, Otis chimed in:

"You know what's the worst thing you can say if you're stopped by the cops at a roadside check"?

"Ohhh, I'm not HALF as drunk as I'm gonna be in 20 minutes".
"You don't know man! I was in radio man! I've seen things you wouldn't believe!"
Neumann Sennheiser
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:50 am

Neumann Sennheiser wrote:A few points; there is no KOPS, not now, never has been. There's not even a 730 frequency in that part of Oregon near Portland. This is almost certainly a faked parody but it's pretty well done and FUNNY.

The only 730 I could remember from Oregon was KBOY in Medford. And I don't think McMinville is really in Eastern Oregon.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby skyvalleyradio » Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:59 pm

I recall the first time I heard John's 'Roy Otis' character although I don't remember the year (too lazy to look it up) Hot AC/Adult CHR KQKT "KQ96" @ 96.5 was sold, staff let go & the format was toast as of Dec 24. For the next week of stunting, Roy Otis was the only voice heard: being alone he decided to party non-stop, inviting his favourite bands to do sets & playing his favourite albums. Of course, this was actually a teaser of the excellent AOR/AAA hybrid that KXRX was to become for an all too brief period in radio history. Some of the bits were hilarious, others sounded like fast knock-offs just for the sake of VT necessity. The new call letters were still under wraps, so Roy bumbled, stumbled through the old call letters KQKT making sure the ID was 'legal' but otherwise kept the station IDs goofy - especially when it came to remembering the frequency (96.5). Of course, Roy's party ended with him pretty wasted from all the dope, booze & food & by Jan 2 when the new KXRX kicked off, Roy finally passed out from the partying. It took me a few years to find out just who was behind this silly character & Roy Otis is a tribute to the many talents of John Maynard. :groovy:
skyvalleyradio
Advanced Member

Postby idfan » Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:24 pm

Classic clips from KXRX, KZOK & KQBZ can be heard on robinandmaynard.net
idfan

Return to Radio People History