More "efficiency" job cuts coming: this time at Rogers.

Radio News from British Columbia

Re: More "efficiency" job cuts coming: this time at Rogers.

Postby tuned » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:19 am

I appreciate all of the suggestions but my initial point that Shaw has a monopoly still stands. Telus only offers a 15mb down service in my building. To get anything beyond that I have to use Shaw's wires. Even though I can get internet from another ISP I would have to give up cable to do so. I would also have to purchase a modem, wireless router and pay an installation fee. I'm paying seventy bucks a month and one of the other quotes was for $57.00. Factor in the additional costs and it's not much of a savings. We have the same ripoff telecommunications industry in Canada as in the US. The only "fair" deal that I have in telecommunications is with WIND and once Shaw takes over they are guaranteed to jack up my rates.
tuned
Advanced Member

Postby CubbyCam » Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:26 pm

Perhaps it's time to change the heading of this thread? I see almost nothing about job cuts at Rogers and a whole of of discussion about which internet/tv/phone service to buy.
CubbyCam
Advanced Member

Cable competition - was: More job cuts coming to Rogers.

Postby xwdcatvb » Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:59 pm

jon wrote:For the record, my search excluded anyone using TELUS lines as tuned said that wouldn't work for him.

Novus has apparently expanded from the old Expo lands as their coverage map shows them up to Denman on W. Georgia.

Well, I'll be... but until I looked at their Burnaby availability, the locations seemed all 'new builds' during the last 20 years or so. Note the forest in Downtown South/Yaletown along the Seymour/Richards/Homer corridor, and Coal Harbour north of Georgia/Pender. (There are no buildings west of Denman/north of Georgia, Jon -- that's the park your Devonian Foundation threw a pile of money into, to 'save' the entrance to Stanley Park.) And the 'West End'... south of Georgia, west of Thurlow is blank.

Burnaby looks much the same, with the clusters around Metrotown and Brentwood/Gilmore... till I spotted the lone entry close to Central Park: Huntley Manor, 6595 Willingdon which was put up as one of Papa Trudeau's short-lived MURBs circa 1980. That's long before Novus was created so how did that location break the Shaw monopoly?
xwdcatvb
Advanced Member

Postby kal » Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:35 pm

From Justin Trudeau's Twitter feed today:

Canada loses an institution with the shutdown of the @guelphmercury print edition. Sad to see it go. 1/2

My thoughts are also with Rogers Media employees facing layoffs. This is a challenging time for journalists telling Canada's stories. 2/2
kal
Advanced Member

Postby Tom Jeffries » Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:55 pm

The stockholders win and the product suffers. More people that will never work again.
Tom Jeffries
Advanced Member

Postby cart_machine » Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:41 am

Tom Jeffries wrote: More people that will never work again.

Thanks for your encouraging news, Tom.

cArtie.
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:02 pm

cart_machine wrote:
:towel: Thanks

cArtie.

Surely you have caught up to my retirement age of 60. All those investments of yours just waiting to be cashed.

Seriously my friend - I hope all is well and you get to read the news as long as Andy.
:walk:
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Previous

Return to British Columbia