CKBI's Jack Cennon passes away at 93

Radio News from Saskatchewan

CKBI's Jack Cennon passes away at 93

Postby drmusic » Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:49 pm

drmusic
Advanced Member

Re: CKBI's Jack Cennon passes away at 93

Postby Muzik » Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:49 pm

I knew Jack very well...and to say he was a radio legend in Central Saskatchewan would be an under statement. I have many fond memories along with TV and Radio air checks.R.I.P. JJ and Thanks for the Wake Up Shake Show.
Muzik
Advanced Member

Postby bigbry » Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:41 pm

"JJ" was a great guy and was very giving to the up and coming broadcasters. Also he was never one to be caught without a story. Imgine doing the morning show for 40 yrs....you won't find that today! Jack was a legendary broadcaster! Have a good rest Jack! I'll miss ya buddy!
bigbry
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:30 pm

Nice follow-up article:

"I don't know of anyone who didn't like Jack Cennon:" Friends remember a local broadcast legend
By Dana Reynolds
paNOW
Prince Albert, Saskatchewan
January 29, 2016 - 4:34pm
Updated: January 29, 2016 - 5:36pm

It is difficult to sum up a life, especially one as well-lived as Jack “J.J” Cennon’s. A well-known local radio host on the air for over 40 years, Cennon passed away this morning, Jan. 29, at the age of 93. Jim Zapariniuk said his old friend was a true humanitarian and one of the best people he knew.

“I don’t know of anyone who didn’t like Jack Cennon, let’s just put it that way,” Zapariniuk said.

His friend “had a wonderful sense of humour,” loved to tease and didn’t mind being teased either.

Cennon’s humour was playful, but biting at the same time, CKBI radio announcer Don Mitchell said. He operated Cennon’s morning show Wake Up, Shake Up for two years and travelled with him to various live events.

“Everybody knows this…thing he had ‘you no-good, useless, nauseating, sod-off, liver-lips slob.’ He would call people that. But people weren’t offended by it, because it was Jack Cennon saying that,” Mitchell said adding Cennon routinely used the phrase on then Prime Minister John Diefenbaker.

When asked about his work ethic Mitchell said “I don’t think he had any.” He said Cennon was just a natural. He didn’t have to work hard at being a great morning show host because being personable, entertaining and likeable came so easily to him.

“He got so into what he was doing on the air, when he was on location. He was so into the people, so busy talking, that he wouldn’t pay attention to the time,” Mitchell said.

He likely had the largest radio audience in the province, former Prince Albert mayor and CKBI colleague Jim Scarrow said. He remembers a man who genuinely cared about the people in his community.

“He was an enormously kind and caring human being,” Scarrow said. When his wife Sadie was in hospital at Saskatoon, Cennon would speak to patients from P.A. and area and send messages of hope to them over the radio.

Scarrow said he loved the performing arts and would routine support musicians, singers and dancers in the community through promoting their events or including them in his show.

One of Cennon’s personal causes was mental health, particularly helping people gain sobriety.

“There are many people who will say Jack saved their lives. I hear that wherever I go,” Scarrow said.

While Cennon might have been a Prince Albert Citizen of the Year or a recipient of the Order of Canada, Scarrow said his most prized role was of husband and father.

Predeceased by wife Sadie, Scarrow says she and Cennon raised a “really, really fine family.” Second wife Darlene passed away, February of 2014.

CKBI's Don Mitchell will have a special feature about Jack Cennon during the Region at Noon, Monday. Feb. 1.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:35 pm

A friend and former co-worker (at two different companies) was born and raised in Prince Albert. He had this to say:
we used to listen to Jack Cennon's Wake-up Shake-up show every morning before school. Back then there was only 1 radio station you could get -- so to be on it was major.

Also note this line from the article above:
He likely had the largest radio audience in the province, former Prince Albert mayor and CKBI colleague Jim Scarrow said.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:00 pm

My friend just sent some additional information that you might find interesting:

I sent some information I found about Jack to my brothers. One of them mentioned that ... he was so used to the way Jack announced things on the radio that he was shocked to move to Abbotsford and listen to the announcers on the talk shows -- they used anger for their ratings...
jon
Advanced Member

Return to Saskatchewan