Cumulus drives final nail into KGO coffin

Radio news from the USA

Cumulus drives final nail into KGO coffin

Postby radiofan » Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:35 pm

Memo Sent To CumulusSF KGO/KSFO/KFOG/KNBR By Cumulus VP/MM, Justin Wittmayer

Team,

Today, we have set in motion new programming strategies for both KGO and KFOG that will help us better meet the needs and demands of our listeners, advertisers and community. Our goal is to reposition these two stations for future growth and strength through new and enhanced programming, and new additions to the KGO and KFOG teams, including programming veteran Bryan Schock, whom we announced this morning as the new OM/PD of KFOG and KSAN. We believe the new programming direction will put KGO and KFOG on the best paths to growth and success.

Unfortunately, to achieve that goal, we had the difficult but necessary task today of restructuring our KGO and KFOG station staffs to allow us to meet the new needs of these two stations as we invest in new programming that is redefined, refocused and of the highest quality. Today, we informed the affected employees about these changes, which included the elimination of a number of full-time and part-time positions across these two stations, primarily in the news department at KGO and in key dayparts at KFOG. I want to thank those professionals who are leaving us for their contributions and service to KGO and KFOG, and wish them only the best as they continue on in their careers.

I want to thank the remainder of our team for working with us through this transition and in the coming weeks and months, as the new KGO and KFOG take shape. Together, we will build these newly imagined stations into strong and vibrant brands that our listeners and advertisers will love.

I will be sharing with you more specific details on these programming shifts and additions in the next few days and weeks. In the meantime, please reach out to me directly with any questions.

jw

Justin Wittmayer

Vice President - Market Manager

KFOG/KGO/KNBR/KSAN/KSFO/KTCT
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: Cumulus drives final nail into KGO coffin

Postby Aaron » Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:44 pm

I'm more upset about the KFOG coffin. When internet radio first came to life, it was the first station I found that was doing a very 'different' kind of radio than what had been available to me.
Aaron
Advanced Member

Postby kal » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:06 pm

What a wonderful property KGO was. How it has decayed the past several years. I loved listening to 810 ever since I first heard it as a teenager. Recently I discovered the John Batchelor show and have been listening to it for a few months. I'm wondering if it has survived the changes. I can't find mention of it on the station's site, but then I can't find any programming mentioned there, beyond the infomercials.
kal
Advanced Member

Postby tuned » Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:08 am

Here's a great article explaining what really happened to KGO.
http://soundwavestv.com/2016/03/31/kgo- ... -of-radio/

What's ironic is that the person most responsible is Bill Clinton, the darling of San Francisco liberals. Clinton sold them out to Wall St.
Those same unemployed liberals that worked at KGO are now railing against Trump on their podcasts.
tuned
Advanced Member

Postby kal » Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:33 am

Last night KGO had no regular programming. News broadcasts were gone too. There was some looped content urging listeners to stay tuned for a new beginning next week, April 4 or 6.
kal
Advanced Member

Postby kal » Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:36 pm

kal
Advanced Member

Postby Coolcat » Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:38 am

Looks like one of the guys if fighting it and might be left on KGO.

http://richliebermanreport.blogspot.ca/
Coolcat
Advanced Member

Postby pave » Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:46 pm

In-house slaughters like this one send a very clear, but unintended message.
The message: "We in management are incompetent and have no idea what to do next.
Therefore, let the killin' begin.
It's noisy and messy. And we might be able to deflect serious criticism on to the staffs."
pave
Advanced Member

Postby kal » Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:44 am

Seems that Ronn Owens may have successfully stood up to his employer. He was heard this morning in pre-launch promos for the "new" KGO.
kal
Advanced Member

Postby PicturesForYourEars » Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:58 am

The 'next phase of KGO' kicked in this morning at 6AM.

I was listening to them loud and clear last night, near Haney Place Mall.

They were playing a non-stop loop of talk show hosts, including 40 year morning man Ron Owens himself.
...LEFT PLACES I SHOULDA STAYED,
STAYED PLACES I SHOULDA LEFT...
PicturesForYourEars
Advanced Member

Return to US Radio News