Sheldon gets a promotion on CKPM

Radio News from British Columbia

Re: Sheldon gets a promotion on CKPM

Postby Russ_Byth » Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:22 pm

jon wrote:I think that we are going to have a problem here if everyone has to "qualify as an expert" to express an opinion. A couple of folks have tried that approach and it did not end well.

Right on Jon.... especially when the person calling others' credentials into question uses a screen name. (Geez, I'm almost sounding like Bennest. Aaaarrgghh!)
Russ_Byth
Advanced Member

Postby Tighthead » Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:42 am

Sheldon seems like a decent guy but he is a brutal broadcaster. 15 hours a week is a tall order.
Tighthead
Advanced Member

Postby Tighthead » Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:47 pm

Anyone listen yet?
Tighthead
Advanced Member

Postby PicturesForYourEars » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:08 am

He is a DISC-JOCKEY 3-6!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Has verbal diaherra.
Could use a few aircheck sessions in the PD's office to tighten it up.

Plays a wider playlist... 'different' music than the station usually does.

(Stop saying "Dave Sheldon' , on the 'Dave Sheldon Show" - for god's sake)

DOES do great local content such as "there's a very bad problem on the Pitt Bridge so pull over in the Costco for a hotdog".
LOTS of LOCAL content.

Oh, and, golf. Even heard a produced segment 'how to improve your golf swing'.

BUT-
all in all -
KUDOS to all involved.

Long live local radio.
...LEFT PLACES I SHOULDA STAYED,
STAYED PLACES I SHOULDA LEFT...
PicturesForYourEars
Advanced Member

Postby kal » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:13 pm

Speaking of local radio and localized commercials ...

has anyone heard the Pulse FM (107.7) commercial for a Surrey law firm ? It's quite jarring to hear the reference to the law firm's ability to handle "everything from parking tickets to first-degree murder".
kal
Advanced Member

Postby Tighthead » Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:47 pm

Sheldo leverages the golf stuff to get free lessons, green fees and tournaments on the Vancouver Golf Tour. Let me guess - he had Fraser Mulholland on. He has been doing that since his substitute days on NW. It's bad radio.

Are any of the other sports radio guys on the sidelines going to make a comeback? Dan Russell apparently doesn't have to work but he seems to. It's the old days. I don't think Lee Powell is up to much more than melting down on Twitter with every full moon.
Tighthead
Advanced Member

Postby the-real-deal » Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:36 pm

kal wrote:It's quite jarring to hear the reference to the law firm's ability to handle "everything from parking tickets to first-degree murder".

Well, it's not so jarring ! Maybe people from Surrey actually committ LOTS of 1st degree murders ! LOL :yahoo:

Regarding verbal diarhea, you mean that you older deejays never committed that in your career ? I call bullshit on that one!

and finally, Dave Sheldon as a deejay...

I have never heard poor Dave do a deejay show. But, he can't be any worse that any of you hacks...

Why is promoting golf "bad radio" ? I think that golf is a great game and he (Sheldon) probably plays golf.

So, whats wrong with promoting golf.

It sounds to me that many of you have MUCH too much time on your hands...

I pity some of you.

Many of you probably don't even work in radio, anymore, so all you can do is seeth in silence on the RW forum !

You know, after hearing all these piss poor comments about a nice man by all accounts, I think that I will call Dave up and help him promote his show ....
the-real-deal
Advanced Member

Postby Tighthead » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:03 pm

Listening to a guy talk about shooting 85 and using airtime to get free advice about his swing is bad radio. I've heard it, you haven't. I love golf - play about 50 rounds a year, but listening to some high handicap chop trade airtime for freebies is bad radio.

I don't claim to work in radio. I don't think it is a requirement for participation here.
Tighthead
Advanced Member

Postby PicturesForYourEars » Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:31 am

Sorry. Let me clarify WHY the statement was made about 'verbal diarrhea':

The times I've listened it seemed like the announcer (Sheldon) was talking between EVERY song, or, every other song at least.

The old afternoon drive announcer, M. McBride, only cut in a few times/hour (typical of the FM formats we all know)...

There just is not ENOUGH local activity in sleepy old Port Moody/Port Coquitlam/Coquitlam COMBINED to talk about something 'different' , in so many sets, so many times an hour...so a lot is getting REPEATED more frequently!

Just trying to do too much maybe?

I DO appreciate the effort from the people responsible for MY local radio station, and, I WILL listen.

PicturesForYourEars
Advanced Member

Postby PicturesForYourEars » Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:33 pm

04/29
5 o'clock hour:

He was chatting today with somebody who came into the control room during a song, and, he accidentally LEFT THE MIKE ON.

In the middle of the music you could hear him "explaining" how he came to be at CKPM:
"I used to have the 'privilege' to drive all the way to CKNW on my gas and on my time (in a sort of whining / condescending tone) etc. etc... that was 9 months ago etc. etc... but when I came to CKPM I told them I wanted to take things slow" etc. etc. etc.

ALL this looong story was heard live on the air!!!

Broadcasting school Rule #1: Always treat every microphone as if it might be live.

In this case it WAS.

He came out of the song apologizing to the public on-air. "I'm human. and the sun will come up tomorrow".

By the way, the old CCR song is pronounced Lodi with an 'i' sound, not Lodeee (said twice).

But, ya know what?
Dave really DOES sounds like he is having more fun than a barrel of monkeys.

Good on him!

And, it's nice to have LIVE radio in my neighborhood instead of somebody sounding like they are calling it in from a bedroom in Richmond!

PicturesForYourEars
Advanced Member

Previous

Return to British Columbia