The queen of North American FM radio

Radio news from the USA

The queen of North American FM radio

Postby kal » Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:14 pm

And why she detests PPMs.

It seems that AC radio is on a steep decline in North America. And some place the blame on PPMs.

Here's a fairly lengthy piece that looks at both issues.

https://www.bloomberg.com/features/2016-delilah/
kal
Advanced Member

Re: The queen of North American FM radio

Postby PicturesForYourEars » Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:48 pm

What a long article.
what an awesome, awesome article.
...LEFT PLACES I SHOULDA STAYED,
STAYED PLACES I SHOULDA LEFT...
PicturesForYourEars
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:52 am

Her site only lists U.S. stations where her show is aired. Off hand, I cannot name any Canadian stations that still air her. Anyone know any?

Yesterday, I was surprised to find that John Tesh is still being aired locally, on The One in Leduc and Stony Plain. The complete list at http://www.tesh.com/radio-show?state=Canada is a bit confusing as it also lists stations that just run the one minute inserts as well as other programming such as "Intelligence for Your Health with Connie Sellecca".
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Neumann Sennheiser » Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:02 am

Delilah's "ranch" isn't too far from here where I live. She's not the only national personality who chose this very attractive piece of the USA to set up a home and a home studio from which to broadcast to the rest of the nation. I believe Opie of Opie and Anthony has a spread over on Vashon Island and used to do his piece of the show from there. Pat O Day lives over at Friday Harbor in the San Juan Islands. He's now long and well out of radio selling real estate and by now we've all heard about Steve Miller's Friday Harbor estate currently up for sale at just under 17 million.
I wonder if Pat's handling the listing?
Takers?
"You don't know man! I was in radio man! I've seen things you wouldn't believe!"
Neumann Sennheiser
Advanced Member

Postby YesterDaze » Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:07 am

Seems there was half of a high profile LA radio morning team doing his part of the show from Greater Seattle a few years ago. Not sure if that's still happening. And Michael Medved does his syndicated talk show from the Emerald City as well.
YesterDaze
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:53 pm

Just noticed how Delilah handles requests for recordings of specific pieces of her show. Most common would be a listener segment of yourself or a friend:
http://www.delilah.com/digital-download ... dedication

She charges $9.95 which would require a very good audio indexing system to even cover Costs. And she doesn't even keep the money, but gives it to her Point Hope charity.

Interesting as any station I've known of would spend a lot of time and effort handling the occasional request for audio copy of something that was aired. If they even honoured those requests.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Tom Jeffries » Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:09 pm

You can bet that Pat O'Day is handling Steve Miller's R/E sale.
Tom Jeffries
Advanced Member

Postby Neumann Sennheiser » Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:38 am

Neumann Sennheiser wrote:I believe Opie of Opie and Anthony has a spread over on Vashon Island and used to do his piece of the show from there.

Finally got around to doing some homework on this. It's Bean of L.A.'s top-rated Kevin and Bean show on KROQ that broadcasts from his home on Vashon Island and has been doing so for the past 15 years. He's not a fan of living in Los Angeles and did not want to raise his kids there.
He makes no secret about it on-air; tweeting local photos and marveling about "his Seahawks" (..it'll be interesting to hear how that goes over now that the cross-division rival Rams have moved to L.A.).
"You don't know man! I was in radio man! I've seen things you wouldn't believe!"
Neumann Sennheiser
Advanced Member

Postby Neumann Sennheiser » Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:40 am

Gene Baxter of KROQ's Kevin and Bean on the way out the door after attending the recent grand reopening party at the Voice of Vashon radio station KVSH 101.9.

Neumann Sennheiser
Advanced Member

Return to US Radio News