Black Wednesday at Corus?

Radio News from British Columbia

Black Wednesday at Corus?

Postby radiofan » Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:49 pm

It looks like Corus is once again swing the axe across the country.

We're hearing about numerous cut backs at several Corus stations.

High profile traffic reporter Jennifer Thomson was relieved of her duties at Corus Vancouver.

From JT's Facebook page: "Due to the restructuring of the company, and after some hard decisions, your position has been eliminated" - Words that are never good to hear.
Lay offs at Corus today and sadly, I'm a part of it. I will miss my co-workers at CKNW and AM730 (and CFOX and ROCK101) but I won't miss getting up at 4am or the bullshit side of this business.

Welcome to another day in radio in the 2000's!
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: Black Wednesday at Corus?

Postby flyonthewall » Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:59 pm

I just heard that Russell James was let go from Rogers earlier this week.

Will this insanity ever end?
flyonthewall
Advanced Member

Postby Howaboutthat » Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:06 pm

Always a good idea to cool down and think before you post something online that will hinder you in future employment.
Houston, We're dealing with morons!.
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Postby Tom Jeffries » Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:07 pm

Simple. NO MONEY. NO ADS.
The shareholders are going to be really unhappy, unless they get their pound of flesh.
It is so tight, they are literally chopping the company down and throwing it on the fire.
Tom Jeffries
Advanced Member

Postby retireddxer » Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:14 pm

Tom Jeffries wrote:Simple. NO MONEY. NO ADS.
The shareholders are going to be really unhappy, unless they get their pound of flesh.
It is so tight, they are literally chopping the company down and throwing it on the fire.

With the moving of assets between Corus and Shaw, Corus has suddenly become the poster child for a great place to put retirement dollars, even for someone like me who is already retired. 8.7% dividend and one of my bank's top recommended stocks expected to hit $16 sometime in the next year. I'm hoping to pick some up if it dips to $13.

Still, very sad to see Jennifer let go.
retireddxer

Postby kal » Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:21 pm

Sad day indeed. Ms. Thompson is one of the best when it comes to traffic reporting. Looks like I won't be listening to 'NW on the fours any longer during my morning commute.
kal
Advanced Member

Postby flyonthewall » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:20 pm

Rumblings from Victoria whispering that Ian Jessop and CFAX have parted company.
flyonthewall
Advanced Member

Postby Jim Walters » Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:57 pm

I talked with someone this morning and they said there were 9 victims at Corus Vancouver yesterday.

Word on the street is there will be big cuts at Global next week in preparation for the combination of the two sales departments (CKNW and Global) as the new Corus family joins forces.

There will be similar cuts as this happens in other Corus markets where they have radio and TV combos.
Jim Walters
Advanced Member

Postby Talker » Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:53 pm

So sorry to learn of Jennifer Thomson's demise at CORUS Vancouver. She's a pro and will no doubt bounce back at another frequency. I wish her the best.
Talker
Advanced Member

Postby jenniferthomson » Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:31 pm

A big thank you for all of the love I've felt this week. It was a bit of a shock, but not really, as I had a feeling the axe was coming down (after 4 times, you start to pick up on these things!)
Reading all the nice comments has been a source of comfort so thank you all very much.
Keep in touch and as they say, "When one door closes, another one opens" so something better is coming.....Just don't trip on the lip of the next door that opens :)
xoxo
Jennifer
jenniferthomson@telus.net
jenniferthomson

Postby retireddxer » Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:33 pm

retireddxer wrote:With the moving of assets between Corus and Shaw, Corus has suddenly become the poster child for a great place to put retirement dollars, even for someone like me who is already retired. 8.7% dividend and one of my bank's top recommended stocks expected to hit $16 sometime in the next year. I'm hoping to pick some up if it dips to $13.

Things suddenly got cloudy at Corus after BrExit with analysts saying that Advertising will be the first thing to get hit if BrExit hits Canada in any significant way.

Now I'm just hoping that Corus will hit $13 again soon so I can dump my stock. At least I get paid to wait with that dividend of theirs.

Really nice to see Jennifer make her presence known here. I do hope that she finds something nice soon.
retireddxer

Postby jon » Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:24 am

Here, from this morning's Broadcast Dialogue, is the list of Western Canada Corus Cuts that they know of. I also included national programming.
REVOLVING DOOR: Corus Entertainment made a number of changes to its radio and TV properties this week in an “internal reorganization” meant, said a spokesperson, to eliminate “duplicate costs, capture operating efficiencies and create the structure that will enable future growth”. While we have confirmed some of the people affected by job loss, Corus would not confirm overall numbers. Here is a listing of those who we know are gone:

Ron Eberle, the sales manager at Global Okanagan. With 33 years in the business, Eberle’s career stops included CHCH-TV Hamilton, CHEK-TV Victoria and Shaw Cable Victoria. He began at Global Okanagan in Feb. 2013...

Johnny Mah, the promotions coordinator at Corus Radio Vancouver. It his second job loss in two years. In August 2014, Mah, with CTV Vancouver for seven years as promotions coordinator and publicity, was laid off.

Other job losses in Vancouver include 980 CKNW/AM 730 morning show traffic announcer Jennifer Thomson and people in sales and interactive...

CJOB Winnipeg PD/ND Scott Pettigrew and Corus veteran account manager John Norris. Pettigrew moved to Winnipeg as PD/ND of CJOB in Sept. 2012, after a 26-year career with AM920 CKNX Wingham. Brent Williamson, the station manager/ND at Global Winnipeg, takes over some of Pettigrew's duties...

Corus cancelled Global Television’s 16X9 investigative weekly news show while also releasing The Morning Show co-host Liza Fromer. Morning co-host Jeff McArthur stays, as does news anchor Carolyn MacKenzie and weather reporter Liem Vu. 16X9 host Carolyn Jarvis becomes the chief investigative correspondent for a new unit that will work across all platforms...
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Howaboutthat » Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:29 am

Word is that Global BC news boss Jill Krop is now overseeing the CKNW newsroom as well. There's convergence for ya.
Houston, We're dealing with morons!.
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Postby sparky » Sat Jul 09, 2016 3:12 pm

Howaboutthat wrote:Word is that Global BC news boss Jill Krop is now overseeing the CKNW newsroom as well. There's convergence for ya.

So, the NW newsroom now has two former News Directors working as news readers? Too bad neither of them has taken the initiative to coach and train some of the recent additions.

Maybe that's they both have the title of former before their names now.
"You get a bunch of clowns together and sooner or later you've got a circus"
sparky
Advanced Member

Postby kal » Sat Jul 09, 2016 3:59 pm

Mispronunciations on 'NW news broadcasts are becoming commonplace. A few days ago a news reader took a stab at the word "egregious". After several attempts, the reader gave up. Cringeworthy.

Let's see ... will Jill Krop have Chris Gailus reading the 3 pm news on 'NW in short order?
kal
Advanced Member

Next

Return to British Columbia