Terry Reid & Jack Marion Exit Pulse 107.7

Radio News from British Columbia

Terry Reid & Jack Marion Exit Pulse 107.7

Postby radiofan » Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:53 am

Vancouver market veterans Terry Reid and Jack Marion who have handled mornings at Surrey's new Pulse FM 107.7 since it's sign on earlier this year said goodbye to their audience this morning.

No word yet as to who will replace the duo who have worked together at four different stations since their early days in the late 1970's at LG 73.

Back to retirement ... enjoy it guys!

Tara Lopez Pulse FM
‏@TaraLopzPulseFM
Thanks guys for a great show! :) @pulse1077 @terryreidone w/ Jack Marion #TerryReidinTheMornings & @TaraLopzPulseFM

Terry Reid, Jack Marion and Tara Lopez in the Pulse 107.7 studio this morning
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: Terry Reid & Jack Marion Exit Pulse 107.7

Postby Jim Walters » Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:16 am

I wondered how long this would last.

What came first, the realization that getting up at 3:30AM ain't fun after you've been retired for a few years (and you're not getting any younger) or maybe the fact that the new employer is having some
cash flow problems and what was promised just ain't happening?

Regardless, great to hear two familiar voices in the marketplace again for a few months.
Jim Walters
Advanced Member

Postby Tom Jeffries » Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:35 pm

I wish both Terry and Jack the best.

I wonder if this station is viable.
Tom Jeffries
Advanced Member

Postby sparky » Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:42 pm

Tom Jeffries wrote:I wish both Terry and Jack the best.

I wonder if this station is viable.

I think the sad truth of the matter is, these new stations that have been licensed in the past few years aren't viable. Maybe on paper the plan looks great, but in reality it's a whole new ball game.

In a market the size of Vancouver, even the stations with full market coverage and actual ratings (and making money) are cutting expenses back to the bone. The number 3 market in the country, and you
have stations cutting live on air people in favour of voice tracking (usually from out of market). How can a new start up with a low power signal expect to compete? The only income most stations have is
commercials. Who's going to waste ad dollars on a station that has no signal or no listeners? Very deep pockets are required, and nobody is prepared to lose money forever just to finance somebody's dream
of owning and operating a radio station. The CRTC has been way too generous in granting licenses to underfinanced operators.

I'm sure these startups have a dream of getting their station on the air and then in a few years cashing in when they can hopefully sell it off to one of the big guys for a huge profit. That ain't going to happen
in today's economy. And things are still pretty good.

It's not just the new entries into the Vancouver market that aren't viable. Look at smaller markets like Kelowna and Red Deer that are totally over radioed. Again, too many licenses granted. You get the
bottom feeders selling spots for next to nothing and that affects everyone in the market. Suddenly existing stations have to cut back on expenses because the advertising dollar pie has been cut too thin.

In addition, let's not forgot how many former radio listeners have now found other options for News, Music and Information. A lot of those people used to read newspapers too.

All the best to Terry and Jack. I'm sure there will be more enjoyment in sleeping in until after the sun rises each day.
"You get a bunch of clowns together and sooner or later you've got a circus"
sparky
Advanced Member

Postby slowhand » Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:23 pm

sparky wrote:In a market the size of Vancouver, even the stations with full market coverage and actual ratings (and making money) are cutting expenses back to the bone. The number 3 market in the country, and you
have stations cutting live on air people in favour of voice tracking (usually from out of market). How can a new start up with a low power signal expect to compete?

An Independent has one advantage that can make a big difference. It lacks the Pyramid Scheme of the large Corporate Owners, where every level gets a percentage of those valuable advertising dollars, which often means there is not enough left to properly fund the programming. When you cut the quality of The Product, many Customers stop buying. In Radio, it is one step removed. Cut the programming and listeners stop listening, ratings go down and advertisers pay less for the same amount of advertising or stop advertising altogether.

There are far more Levels than just the simple hierarchy of management with its salary, bonus, company car, and other benefits at each level. There are the shareholders who get their dividends every quarter and an increase in the value of the shares they own through share-buybacks. There are the lenders who get paid interest on the ridiculous amount of money they loaned the corporation to buy the station in the first place, plus some money to pay off that original purchase price.

There are also a bunch of other managers in head office who get a piece of the action. Be they Brand Managers or other National Managers of News, Sports, Weather, Time Checks, Promotion, Engineering.
slowhand
Advanced Member

Postby Russ_Byth » Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:40 pm

What Sparky said!
Sorry to see these guys pack it in, but that alarm NOT going off in the middle of the night, especially in winter, will be nice.
Russ_Byth
Advanced Member

Postby sparky » Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:35 pm

Just before I left the Island a few years ago, I was very seriously looking at buying CFSI on Salt Spring Island. Once my lawyers got through the paperwork and saw the debt, and the conditions of license
I was quickly urged to walk away from it. More like run. There was no way I'd make back my money and the outlook for ever making a dime was beyond slim.

Having a station is no longer the license to print money that it once was.

Glad I took their advice.
sparky
Advanced Member

Postby skyvalleyradio » Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:32 am

...a VERY wise decision Sparky! Your comments about over-licensing and viability are right on the mark
skyvalleyradio
Advanced Member

Postby Tom Jeffries » Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:18 pm

Radio and other trad media is having a tough go - and the winnowing of staff, is a main priority, for just about every platform.

This won't end, until the economy heals. Tough times.
Tom Jeffries
Advanced Member

Postby Jim Walters » Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:16 pm

I see the Pulse FM website has been updated to reflect the changes.

From the site:

After helping us launch 107.7 Pulse FM onto the airwaves, it is with a sad heart that we announce both Terry Reid and Jack Marion are heading back to semi-retirement. We thank them for their continued leadership and experience, which was instrumental in putting 107.7 Pulse FM on the map. They are still part of our Pulse FM family and you'll be hearing them in different roles in the future.

We are excited to announce that Leah Holiove will be moving from her midday slot to "The Morning Drive with Leah Holiove", 5-9am every weekday. Terry and Jack's morning co-host, Tara Lopez, moves to host "The Midday Workday", from 11am-3pm. Tune in next week as we launch their new shows!

I also noticed on the site that afternoon Newsman Don Lane is missing. Wonder if the station has decided there is no need for news now that the News Director is gone?

A major shuffle like this after less than 5 months on the air doesn't look good to me.
Jim Walters
Advanced Member

Postby Tom Jeffries » Sat Jul 09, 2016 3:10 pm

Don Lehn got 'laid off'...in his words.
Tom Jeffries
Advanced Member

Postby sparky » Sat Jul 09, 2016 3:30 pm

skyvalleyradio wrote:...a VERY wise decision Sparky! Your comments about over-licensing and viability are right on the mark

Thanks sky. It was one of the best decisions I've ever made. No looking back and wondering "What if?". Moving to the Okanagan was the next best decision I've ever made.

As for the situation at Pulse, I've heard from several sources that late paycheques are becoming a common occurrence. Benefits packages that were promised haven't materialized yet.
What a way to live. I truly feel sorry for people who get conned into working for underfinanced deadbeats with big dreams. You're playing with people's lives here. People have rent and
mortgages to pay, families to feed. You've left a good job because things look brighter, and you get screwed in the ass. People feel they finally have some security and make financial
commitments and then the paycheques start showing up late.

In cases like this, maybe the CRTC should get tough and start rescinding licenses and shutting down these bad operators before they do too much damage.
sparky
Advanced Member

Postby Jim Walters » Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:53 am

So you replace a couple of 40 year market veterans with a former traffic reporter along with a recent BCIT grad with no on air experience? Brilliant.

That would be like CKNW doing something like replacing Frosty Forst with a newsman who became a talk show host.

Oh wait a minute.
Jim Walters
Advanced Member

Postby the-real-deal » Sun Jul 10, 2016 2:32 pm

I think that people like Sparky (and others like him?) should not trash talk entrepreneurship, in general, with a broad brush, just because of the payroll woes of one business.

New radio stations are certainly welcome, either now, or in the future, as long as the CRTC supports these applications and the public supports them.

As far as CFSI is concerned, well, the original East Indian owner nickled and dimed that operation, and frankly, let down the people of Salt Spring Island, by either not having the know how to run a community radio station or not having the business "smarts" in the first place.

If you, the jackass negligent pilot, foolishly run the jet into the ground, killing all the occupants, why would anyone want to buy such an airplane from you?

Nobody wants to do business with a jackass.

Unfortunately, the East Indian who once owned CFSI ran it into the ground, so what a wasted opportunity.

A new group is now vying for a new SSI community radio station, we will see if they can avoid the mistakes of the previous owner !

Regarding Pulse FM, we do not know all of the facts about this group, yet, so let's hear from them, as well? Shouldn't journalism and fair comment go hand in hand, as opposed to rumours and malicious gossip.

Otherwise, might as well call yourself The National Inquirer, online edition.
the-real-deal
Advanced Member

Return to British Columbia