CKNW call letter slurrers

Radio News from British Columbia

CKNW call letter slurrers

Postby PicturesForYourEars » Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:50 am

Maybe somebody in senior management can help the new staffers to say the call letters loud slow and proud. Can't help but notice how they're thrown away and slurred over... unlike the Mighty 980 of the past.
A week or two ago an evening slot was filled by veteran staffer Ian Powers ad his enounciation was like night and day.
For the record it's not that I think I could do better... Indeed I could be a presentable all-night announcer in any major market in the country for the rest of my life and that's about it. It's just a comment coming from me as a listener really.
Along the same lines, I am really irritated by the amount of stuttering from the talk show hosts. My all-time favorite talk show host Shawn Leslie started really getting into stuttering in his last few months almost in feigned sincerity. I for some time have noticed that their now former evening host had a really really bad stuttering problem. And now to boot the new CKNW at night host has an endless stream of 'ah' and 'ah,ah'. It's three or four times in a sentence for God's sake
...LEFT PLACES I SHOULDA STAYED,
STAYED PLACES I SHOULDA LEFT...
PicturesForYourEars
Advanced Member

Re: CKNW call letter slurrers

Postby PicturesForYourEars » Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:54 am

I don't mean to be disrespectful to the talent.
But the stutteringstutteringsssstuttering is very ah painful to ah-ah listenahto!!!

Just wondering where the Program Director is ( after all, we've all benefited from an aircheck session every now and then)!
...LEFT PLACES I SHOULDA STAYED,
STAYED PLACES I SHOULDA LEFT...
PicturesForYourEars
Advanced Member

Postby the-real-deal » Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:01 am

Ever heard of "Stuttering John", the sidekick host on The Howard Stern Show.

He stutters, too, but makes more moolah than you and I.
the-real-deal
Advanced Member

Postby Jim Walters » Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:09 am

the-real-deal wrote:Ever heard of "Stuttering John", the sidekick host on The Howard Stern Show.

He stutters, too, but makes more moolah than you and I.

NW has their own Stuttering John every morning. Perhaps all the Umms and Awws are because he is trying to read and make sense of copy written by kids that haven't quite grasped the English language yet.

This was never a problem when he was reading news or sharing the mic with Sir Phillip.

The slurring and mumbling of the call letters throughout the day is a major problem that should be addressed by management.
Jim Walters
Advanced Member

Postby J Kendrick » Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:11 am

PicturesForYourEars wrote:Just wondering where the Program Director is ( after all, we've all benefited from an air check session every now and then)!

They're not Programme Directors any more. They're "Brand Managers"
J Kendrick
Advanced Member

Postby the-real-deal » Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:20 pm

Let me say this. Warren Barker, perhaps the best news director this Province has ever seen, would not put up with stuttering, on air news people at 'NW. As Picture points out, completely unacceptable !

Come on, mister senior "brand manager" at NW, get your shit together, and start air checking your on air people.

And, air check every one, including Edward R. Murrow.
the-real-deal
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:35 pm

J Kendrick wrote:They're not Programme Directors any more. They're "Brand Managers"

For the record, some stations still have a Program Director. In fact, first place that I looked, Newcap's CKRA-FM in Edmonton, lists John Roberts as Program Director:
http://963capitalfm.com/inside.asp?mn=12
jon
Advanced Member

Postby kal » Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:47 pm

Some of the news reading on 'NW is very poor. As others have noted, it simply would not have occurred under previous regimes, primarily because the readers would have been experienced, seasoned professionals. I have to assume that the PD does not listen to his own station, in the evenings at least.
kal
Advanced Member

Postby CubbyCam » Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:03 pm

Let me just add a note of caution to this thread... The "good old days" were also far from perfect. Enjoy this little audio spoof put together by my old friend Roy Morton... (now DOCTOR Morton and semi retired). My apologies to any of those featured... and of course, this was never aired...just at Christmas parties etc. It was recorded in the early 1970's... https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_hnN ... Upoc3JEeUE
CubbyCam
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:30 pm

Thanks for posting this Cam! I must have missed those newscasts of Susan's on NW. Hopefully those weren't all from one newscast!
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby Neumann Sennheiser » Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:32 am

Susan Soskin undoubtedly the daughter of Canadian radio pioneer Ted Soskin.
I feel all might enjoy this short, enlightening documentary of a man who made a difference.
https://vimeo.com/19325663
"You don't know man! I was in radio man! I've seen things you wouldn't believe!"
Neumann Sennheiser
Advanced Member

Postby CubbyCam » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:26 am

Neumann Sennheiser wrote:Susan Soskin undoubtedly the daughter of Canadian radio pioneer Ted Soskin.
I feel all might enjoy this short, enlightening documentary of a man who made a difference.
https://vimeo.com/19325663

Enjoyed the mini doc a lot Mr. Sennheiser... Thanks for posting! Love the old archival pics... and audio.
CubbyCam
Advanced Member

Return to British Columbia