Hockey on AM 730

Radio News from British Columbia

Hockey on AM 730

Postby sparky » Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:15 pm

One of the few times I've been down to Vancouver and I want some traffic information, like many I tune to AM 730. There's no traffic and in it's place is Hockey. WTF? World Cup Hockey in place of
traffic on ALL Traffic, ALL The Time AM 730. Is there not two 24/7 All Sports stations on the Vancouver radio dial? Couldn't one of them have carried these games?

What kind of a genius came up with this? AM 730 must be programmed by the same guru that's programming CKNW these days.

I can only hope that sometime in the next couple of weeks Vancouverites experience another catastrophe like they faced on Thursday morning, and the ALL traffic station won't be there for them because
there's a hockey game on.
"You get a bunch of clowns together and sooner or later you've got a circus"
sparky
Advanced Member

Re: Hockey on AM 730

Postby jon » Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:26 am

That is just plain weird! CHED is carrying it in Edmonton, not iNews880 (CHQT); even before I discovered that, I wondered why CKNW would divert it to AM 730 rather than airing it themselves.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby PicturesForYourEars » Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:21 am

What's next?
All Mandarin, after 9 at night?
...LEFT PLACES I SHOULDA STAYED,
STAYED PLACES I SHOULDA LEFT...
PicturesForYourEars
Advanced Member

Postby PicturesForYourEars » Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:53 am

Remember what happened before in Vancouver !

(After CHUM purchased CHQM-AM and QM-FM they turned AM into Memory Music 1320... and sold off 9PM to 6AM to Fairchild Broadcasting who broadcast exclusively in mandarin for many months - before they ended up BUYING THE LICENSE)!

Just sayin'...

PicturesForYourEars
Advanced Member

Postby xwdcatvb » Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:48 pm

PicturesForYourEars wrote:Remember what happened before in Vancouver !

(After CHUM purchased CHQM-AM and QM-FM they turned AM into Memory Music 1320... and sold off 9PM to 6AM to Fairchild Broadcasting who broadcast exclusively in mandarin for many months - before they ended up BUYING THE LICENSE)!

Just sayin'...

Wuzn't Fairchild. Whatever they were called at tbe time (YBC Holdings?)(still legally Great Pacific) already owned 1470.

It was Hanson Lau and what became Mainstream Broadcasting.... and it was in Cantonese with brokered time.

Anyway, CHUM had to sell 1320 as they already owned 1410...
xwdcatvb
Advanced Member

Postby PicturesForYourEars » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:28 am

All chinese to me...but...right you ARE!

Maybe AM 7:30 is testing the market?

As noted by Sparky... Hockey makes no sense on an all traffic station!
PicturesForYourEars
Advanced Member

Postby Jim Walters » Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:28 pm

Maybe they were afraid that if the games were run on NW, they'd have Drex interrupting the broadcast with his opinions along with bits and pieces of his worldly knowledge.
Jim Walters
Advanced Member

Postby xwdcatvb » Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:20 pm

PicturesForYourEars wrote:All chinese to me...but...right you ARE!

Well, y'know, differentiating between Mandarin and Cantonese is really quite easy. And labelling Fairchild as being involved in 'QM's demise can be disproved with a quick history check on the Canadian Communications Foundation's web site.

We throw dirt at what was lovingly called Top Dog over perceived shortcomings so mebbe those of us in glass houses shouldn't?

And I say "us"...
xwdcatvb
Advanced Member

Postby Howaboutthat » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:15 pm

PicturesForYourEars wrote:Maybe AM 7:30 is testing the market?

And it's a radio station not a time.
Houston, We're dealing with morons!.
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Postby PicturesForYourEars » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:46 pm

I was actually the last person to turn out the lights on the last night when QMAM shut down for good so I don't need any history lessons...
Just saying things present themselves on the radio sometimes for strange reasons as in hockey broadcasting on all traffic station. Who knows what'd up?

The AM 7:30 is a typo...What fucking ever
PicturesForYourEars
Advanced Member

Postby the-real-deal » Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:11 am

I think that playing the World Cup of Hockey on an otherwise boring traffic AM radio station with shitty ratings, is obviously test programming to see if there's an appetite for sports at Corus. That station, AM 730, has clearly run out of identities, since they were once the former mighty LG73. Let's see, they were a former "men's" talk radio station, a comedy radio station, and now, they play sports and traffic. Am 730 is still a good asset for Corus, in that they can swap the CKNW channel with AM 730, if and when the need arises ?
the-real-deal
Advanced Member

Postby the-real-deal » Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:06 am

PicturesForYourEars wrote:The AM 7:30 is a typo...What fucking ever

LOL Touche ! I think that that stab pierced the flak jacket !
the-real-deal
Advanced Member

Postby Aaron » Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:11 am

PicturesForYourEars wrote:Just saying things present themselves on the radio sometimes for strange reasons as in hockey broadcasting on all traffic station. Who knows what'd up?

Usually, nothing's up. In this case it looks like Corus bought/won the national rights, and the Vancouver cluster just housed it where it would do the least damage and maybe make a couple bucks off sponsorship.
Aaron
Advanced Member

Postby Tighthead » Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:56 am

Makes me miss the glory days of Mojo 730.

First the guys format - Scruff Connors, Jesse Dylan, Bill Courage. Phil Hendrie at night who was brilliant.

The the all sports format - a poached McKeachie, Arthur Griffiths, and Tom Larsheid hosting against his will during an NHL work stoppage.

How could such a grand legacy leave us here?
Tighthead
Advanced Member

Postby the-real-deal » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:16 am

Tighthead wrote:Makes me miss the glory days of Mojo 730.

First the guys format - Scruff Connors, Jesse Dylan, Bill Courage. Phil Hendrie at night who was brilliant.

The the all sports format - a poached McKeachie, Arthur Griffiths, and Tom Larsheid hosting against his will during an NHL work stoppage.

How could such a grand legacy leave us here?

Completely agree, Tighthead !

PLUS, did we mention that AM 730 has a killer signal ! Far, far, superior to AM 98. When I worked on the Island back in the 80's, you could hear LG73 clear as a bell in Port Hardy and all the way up the sunshine coast.

Since CKNW has become, in reality, a CBC modelled, talk radio station, why not just move the whole shebang to AM 730, not far away from CBC 690?

They could then use former CBC'ers Shane Foxman and Jody what's her name to "poach" listeners headed to AM 690, four doors down !

However, "CBC Johnny" may have something to say about that ! I would surmise many CBC listeners toggle between 690 and 98 anyways ?
the-real-deal
Advanced Member

Return to British Columbia