Peter Mansbridge to step down from The National next year

News from the world of Television

Re: Peter Mansbridge to step down from The National next yea

Postby kal » Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:40 am

Many Canadians have only known two top anchors (and chief correspondent) at the CBC, Knowlton Nash and Peter Mansbridge.

An amazing record, especially for Mansbridge, moving as he did from airport announcer to the mother corporation.

The speculation can now begin on a successor.
kal
Advanced Member

Postby Howaboutthat » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:35 am

I'd be interested in knowing if anyone still watches either the CBC or CTV late night news at it's scheduled local time (not time shift)
Houston, We're dealing with morons!.
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Postby tuned » Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:03 am

Well the Pastor doesn't work cheap. If this is true taxpayers have been getting ripped off for years. Someone working for a "public" broadcaster shouldn't be getting private sector pay. The pension is outrageous considering he made enough money to fund his own retirement.

http://www.canadalandshow.com/mansbridge-pay/
tuned
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:50 am

tuned wrote:Someone working for a "public" broadcaster shouldn't be getting private sector pay.

In my experience, they don't. My wages increased 150% from "private sector pay" to the CBC in 1972, in the same position, from CJAT to CFPR.

In this particular instance (The National) the CBC undoubtedly learned a lesson from their own history when they initially would not come up with the money to retain Lloyd Robertson against a CTV offer. By the time they did come up with the money, Lloyd had, according to Knowlton Nash, already made the decision to go with CTV no matter what.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby pave » Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:52 am

I appreciated the quirky Stanley Burke - a working correspondent who just happened to sit at the anchor desk.
pave
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:26 am

There always seemed to be a comforting continuity to The National, even longer than the tenure of most of the Anchors.

One factor, at least for me, was the Allan McFee-voiced intro: "The National with {insert anchor name here}".

I have never seen anything written documenting exactly when that started and when it ended, though I suspect it stopped the day before Allan died, December 12, 2000.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby drmusic » Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:41 am

I believe they began using a different announcer for the intro when the newscast moved to 10 pm and was revamped in to the hour long "The National/The Journal."
drmusic
Advanced Member

Postby mccrady » Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:43 pm

tuned wrote:
Someone working for a "public" broadcaster shouldn't be getting private sector pay.

Then Jon wrote:
In my experience, they don't. My wages increased 150% from "private sector pay" to the CBC in 1972, in the same position, from CJAT to CFPR.

Apples and oranges. You moved from what was and still is basically a 'starter' operation to a national union shop where minimum pay at each station was the same regardless of market size. I made a similar move two years later in a much larger market and my base salary also jumped, but only by 40%. And both examples are ancient, irrelevant history. I don't know how public/private salaries compare these days, but CBC's wage scales are posted on the union's web site (cmg.ca) so anyone still active in the biz can easily find out how they stack up money-wise.

Given what's been going on at the Corp in recent years I doubt if very many surviving CBC staffers are now paid over scale. Mansbridge is an exception, but he's the face of the network these days ... really about the only famous one they have left on the TV side. The high-profile sports guys departed with NHL hockey and won't be back since CBC no longer plans to bid on rights to big sporting events. News and public affairs is about all CBC-TV produces in-house any more, so the national anchor is about the only potential big-money job left, aside from the senior brass. They'll always be over-paid.
mccrady
Advanced Member

Postby tuned » Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:53 pm

My point was that in an apples to apples comparison a primarily taxpayer funded service should not be paying more than a private sector company. That goes double for management.
tuned
Advanced Member

Postby Doug » Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:38 pm

I just hope that one-time Mansbridge fling Wendy Mesley doesn't become the permanent host of "The National". My preference would've been Anne-Marie Mediwake or Diana Swain, but the former has jumped to CTV with their relaunched national morning show and I note the latter isn't hosting CBC News Now weekdays anymore? Failing them, my only real choice would be Mark Kelley or CBC's Calgary anchor, Rob Brown, but I don't know if they'll get it. Perhaps CBC will look externally? Wonder if they'll try and poach Jon Erlichman, CTV's recently touted new "star hire" for BNN where he joined from being a Bloomberg West senior correspondent and alternate host for the main host Emily Chang?

Cheers,
Doug

P.S. Why has CBC brought in a "host" again for The Passionate Eye? They haven't had one since Michaelle Jean left for an appointment by then Prime Minister Paul Martin as Governor General. Do you think Wendy just demanded more airtime or do you think she's trying to catch the "eye" of Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, with current Governor General David Johnston's term coming up next year I believe?
Doug
Advanced Member

Return to On the small screen