Local Show Hosts Talking US Election Politics

General Radio News and Comments, Satellite & Internet Radio and LPFM

Local Show Hosts Talking US Election Politics

Postby Coolcat » Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:45 am

Am I the only one who is getting tired of hearing local talk show hosts regularly talk about the US presidential election? If I want to hear more of this insanity, I can tune into numerous news outlets in the US. It is a real turnoff to tune into a station like NW or a sports station like TSN1040 (a sports jock getting political is incredibly hilarious) and hear US election talk which is essentially US newswire stories and opinions.
It’s time the stations realised that their existence depends on good local coverage and the minute they start with non-Canadian political talk they are opening the door to people tuning in stations internationally through the internet.
Coolcat
Advanced Member

Re: Local Show Hosts Talking US Election Politics

Postby slowhand » Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:45 pm

Yeah, your point about Local focus is a good one. However this has been an extraordinary week in the American Presidential Race by any measure I can think of.

Only somewhat in jest, I predict that this coming week will be the one where, if you will pardon my French, Mon-sewer Trump claims that his legal counsel has informed him that any woman using the F word in his presence is fair game for his sexual advances. The only other possibility that I can think of is that he will announce he has hired Bill Cosby as a campaign advisor.

In general, I find it hard to ignore the fact that the United States is so important to Canada that there is lots of room in Canadian radio for a Canadian view point on what is going on in the USA.
slowhand
Advanced Member

Postby Talker » Sat Oct 15, 2016 2:19 pm

There is also the question of what happens to any number of trade agreements between the US and Canada if The Donald is (scarily) elected. He has promised to scrap any of the recent treaties and the currently expired FTA softwood lumber deal. There are any number of good reasons we don't want him elected but we should stay up-to-date regarding the goings-on during the Clinton/Trump campaigns.
Talker
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Sat Oct 15, 2016 3:51 pm

It is easy to forget that National Addresses by the President were aired lived on Canadian stations at one time. Even as music-oriented as CHQM was when I was there in 1972, I remember Barry Bell having to juggle his top of the hour Newscast while listening on headphones for the start of President Nixon's Address unexpectedly announcing the bombing of Hanoi harbour, so that the station could carry it live. We had even been instructed to break CRTC regulations by simulcasting AM and FM (only allowed overnights at the time) for this Newscast; FM News was normally pre-recorded.

Soon after, when I moved to CJAT in Trail, another National Address by Nixon was aired live during the CBC's World at Six, which CJAT simulcast nightly on AM and FM. In the 1960s, I can remember CBC television carrying Presidential Addresses live nation-wide.

Presidential Debates were another matter. In 1960, to watch Nixon and Kennedy duke it out, I had to tune to KVOS-TV in Bellingham.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Coolcat » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:45 am

Has anyone heard if there is any truth to the rumour that a Vancouver radio station has told its on-air station that any talk that sounds positive to Trump will be grounds for reprimand and/or firing? Regardless how much of a basket case both of the candidates are the role of the media is to be objective. Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
Coolcat
Advanced Member

Postby ThisIsNotCBC » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:54 pm

Coolcat wrote:Has anyone heard if there is any truth to the rumour that a Vancouver radio station has told its on-air station that any talk that sounds positive to Trump will be grounds for reprimand and/or firing? Regardless how much of a basket case both of the candidates are the role of the media is to be objective. Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

The liberal media lost whatever semblance of "objectivity" it had long ago, its blatant bias has only become more visible in the last few years. The station in question (CKNW) will be lucky to avoid dropping to the bottom of the ratings ladder in the Vancouver market because of this recent development, as well as to avoid having most of its staff walk out on the management because of its edict.
ThisIsNotCBC
Advanced Member

Return to General Radio News