Steve Darling Opens Up About His Departure From Global

News from the world of Television

Steve Darling Opens Up About His Departure From Global

Postby radiofan » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:15 pm

Steve Darling Opens Up About His Departure From Global BC

TV Week  |   12/09/2016

Steve Darling’s tenure as host of Global News Morning may have come to an end, but he’s still making news

In a move that few saw coming, the former morning show anchor announced he’s joined the ranks of Christy Clark’s Liberals—with the hopes of becoming MLA for Burnaby-Lougheed after next spring’s provincial election.

“I spent my career at Global trying to make a difference,” says candidate Darling. “I did in the stories I told and the charity work I did. We tried to stand up for the little guy. This is a different way for me to make a difference, and to hear the stories of the people in my riding, and bring those back to Victoria.”

After nearly two decades as one of B.C.’s most popular TV personalities, this is no pipe dream. In fact, he stands a solid chance of wresting the riding from its current occupant, New Democrat Jane Shin, during the upcoming election, to be held May 9.

However, Darling’s longtime fans are still wondering why he made such a drastic job jump in the first place. For answers, we must rewind to earlier this fall.

It was Thursday, October 6, eve of the Thanksgiving long weekend, and Darling had just wrapped another edition of Global News Morning, which he’d anchored since 2001. Only this time, he had barely stepped away from the anchor desk when he was called into a meeting. When the meeting ended, Darling and Global parted ways. “It was a surprise, for sure,” he says, adding understatedly: “It wasn’t the greatest thing in the world, but so be it. No sense dwelling on it.”

While losing a high-profile job might have rattled the confidence of most, Darling says that wasn’t the case. “My confidence was never really shaken,” he says. “I know we did a good job on the show. There was nothing I could have done differently to have changed anything. It is what it is. [Lay-offs] happen to people all the time. Mine was just a lot more public.”

Besides, he adds, it was just business—not personal: “Media is struggling everywhere. There aren’t a lot of jobs in the industry anymore. I’d been at Global a long time, so I had advanced to a certain level up the pay scale,” he says. “I was part of the union and it was made clear that there was no anchor position available and I would have to accept another job that wasn’t going to work for me and my family. The only real option was to leave that day.

“Steve has many passionate fans and we were hopeful he would join us for a farewell show,” said Global BC general manager Jill Krop in a statement to TV Week. “In the end, we respect his decision to pursue other career opportunities. Steve will always be part of our extended family at Global BC and we wish him all the best. We look forward to both welcoming him back onto the morning show as a guest and holding him accountable should he be successful in his run for the B.C. legislature.”

To which Darling responds: “For me to appear on a farewell show after the company let me go would have been very emotional and difficult for me. I needed to move on.”

In any case, it was a sad goodbye for all when he returned to the station’s Burnaby offices the next day to clear out his desk. “Everyone at Global has reached out to me—Sophie [Lui], Randene [Neill], Mark Madryga, people behind the scenes. We had a little get-together at the Cactus Club and they gave me a nice gift certificate. We shared some laughs, and some tears. It was nice to get some closure.”

Even now, months after his final show, Darling is still marvelling at the outpouring of support he received from family, friends and fans alike. “I had, like, 600 text messages the day the news broke, and my phone was ringing non-stop. My cellphone battery kept dying,” he chuckles, before adding sincerely: “The response from fans was really touching. It brings a tear to the eye. When I was doing [the show], you hope you’re making an impact, but you don’t know for sure. It’s humbling to know that I made a difference. People still pass by me on the street and say, ‘Sorry to see that you’re gone. I loved you on the show.’”

But when one door closes, another opens, and it didn’t take long for Darling to be contacted about taking a run at politics. “At the time I said no, and so did my wife,” says Darling, who was initially hoping to transition into a career in communications, marketing or PR. “But over a two-week period I started to think I could make a difference if I was fortunate enough to be elected. We had a meeting with the premier and, after that, we decided I would run.”

Read the full story at: http://www.bcliving.ca/entertainment/st ... -global-bc
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: Steve Darling Opens Up About His Departure From Global

Postby kal » Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:09 pm

It should probably be pointed out that this is a bit of a puff piece. The publication, BC Living, is part of the CanadaWideMedia stable owned by Peter Legge. Legge is a high-level BC Liberals fundraiser.
kal
Advanced Member

Postby the-real-deal » Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:54 pm

kal wrote:It should probably be pointed out that this is a bit of a puff piece. The publication, BC Living, is part of the CanadaWideMedia stable owned by Peter Legge. Legge is a high-level BC Liberals fundraiser.

Creampuff piece or not, Steve Darling's version of why he got fired sounds honest and untainted to me. He could well get elected as a Liberal. He doesnt have any personal "baggage" to speak of, as well ?
the-real-deal
Advanced Member

Postby Howaboutthat » Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:27 pm

kal wrote:It should probably be pointed out that this is a bit of a puff piece. The publication, BC Living, is part of the CanadaWideMedia stable owned by Peter Legge. Legge is a high-level BC Liberals fundraiser.

What I haven't seen anywhere is that Steve, to his credit, apparently had a 2 year payout clause in his contract.
Houston, We're dealing with morons!.
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Postby the-real-deal » Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:36 pm

Howaboutthat wrote:

What I haven't seen anywhere is that Steve, to his credit, apparently had a 2 year payout clause in his contract.

How about that, how about that ! Now that's a delicious piece of "intel" on the Stevester ! Congrats ! Hopefully, that payout will be deducted from Steve's EI earnings (as income) ! :yahoo: After all, a good little M.L.A. must always declare his conflicts of interest and business earnings, right, Aunty Shifty ? !
the-real-deal
Advanced Member

Postby Jim Walters » Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:43 pm

How could Darling have been surprised when he left the meeting jobless? He did mention he was offered another position that he claims didn't work for him and his family. Duh! When stuff like that
happens, most of us would realize the writing is on the wall and the gig is over. There was also talk around the Lake City facility that there had been talks between Steve and management about a buyout
in the weeks prior to his dismissal.

Maybe he really isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer.

As for his political career, lots of luck in a long time NDP riding. I guess Christy is counting on name recognition to get him elected.
Jim Walters
Advanced Member

Return to On the small screen