Are News People just Lazy?

Are News People just Lazy?

Postby bigbry » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:21 pm

Need a bit of help from the pros, which are all here. While watching National and local CBC, CTV even Global News, I’ve noticed that after about an hour or so, they re run the same stories. That doesn't bother me but they use the same lead in on the story even the same extro. So much so it seems that the newscast is on a loop. Are they? I thought the CRTC said you couldn’t record a newscast. Or are the news departments all over Canada just lazy?
Bry
bigbry
Advanced Member

Re: Are News People just Lazy?

Postby jon » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:55 pm

bigbry wrote:I thought the CRTC said you couldn’t record a newscast.

Never heard about that rule. It sure did not exist in 1971 when CHQM pre-recorded the FM Newscasts to avoid the simulcasting rules and still deliver live Newscasts on AM.

Admittedly, the FM Newscasts were only about 10 minutes old when they were aired.

Around the turn of the century, I remember when CNN Headline News started recording their Newscasts, splitting them up into separate stories, and repeatedly airing them, story by story, having the Anchor break in with any updates or new stories that were again recorded and replayed from then on.

I forget which, but, a few years ago, I heard All News radio stations in Western Canada re-running Newscasts during the all night period.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby J Kendrick » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:17 pm

I recall working in a particular radio news room where no news story would be allowed to run for any more than about six hours without being replaced by something fresh, and it certainly got rewritten every time that it did run before being dropped.
No 8:00 am story would run from 12:00 noon onward, No 12:00 noon story ran after 6:00 pm. No story that ran before 6:00 pm ran after midnight... and no story that ran before 10:00 pm the night before would be in the 8:00 am major the next morning.
The news cast always had to be fresh. That was the rule. After all, you're broadcasting news... not history...
J Kendrick
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:28 pm

Those of us who did Rip and Read News in small markets had it pretty easy. In between 2-3 minute songs, we'd read hourly News that we ripped off the BN teletype when we would run off to the Newsroom as those songs played.

We didn't have to re-use copy as BN was nice enough to send out a new version every hour; more often, if there were any updates to the story.

On an AM/FM cluster, whenever I was on FM, which was closer to the Newsroom, I also put together the News for the AM announcer to read, to save him the longer run.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby bigbry » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:32 am

Like Jon and J Kendrick I too was told by ND's and PD's always keep the newscast fresh. Your right Jon...BN was pretty good at that. So I can only assume that the news rooms on big National TV networks are proving they're just plain LAZY. Come on people you can't re-write a few lines each hour? A lot of us came from newsrooms with 1 or 2 people as staff and we could find the time.
bigbry
Advanced Member

Postby drmusic » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:12 pm

They're doing what they're told, more likely than not.
drmusic
Advanced Member

Postby WheresFredTaylor » Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:25 am

Also doesn't help that newsrooms (especially non major centres) are moving away from CP.
WheresFredTaylor
Advanced Member

Postby Howaboutthat » Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:19 pm

They're working with the tools/resources that the owners allow them to have.
Houston, We're dealing with morons!.
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Return to Non Radio Related Topics