Kent Molgat: reporter from the Okanagan

Radio:
Scott Rintoul
Peter Schaad
kal
Advanced Member

Re: Local layoffs by Bell Media / CTV / TSN

Postby Coolcat » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:10 pm

I can't figure out why a station thats obviously bleeding can afford seven people hosting three shows when you consider breakfast, midday, and drive. For starters, they probably need to go to one host over the noon hour and maybe a couple of hosts in the afternoon.
Coolcat
Advanced Member

Postby Tom Jeffries » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:17 pm

This is a money dump.

The cut backs are accelerating in Media, as sales slump, across the spectrum.

Take a look at what is happening to Retail! No ads = no income, for Newspaper, TV, mag and radio = layoffs.

Newsrooms are gutted.
Tom Jeffries
Advanced Member

Postby Jim Walters » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:55 pm

And the media outlets wonder why nobody is watching or listening.

Hopefully Global will be smart and grab Coleen immediately. Does anyone other than the bean counters at Bell honestly think Tamara the airhead is the reason for CTV's ratings boost of late?

As for TSN 1040, getting rid of your long time Lions and Whitecaps PBP voices is yet another boneheaded move.

I'm glad I found a new life several years ago and don't have to deal with this madness anymore.
Jim Walters
Advanced Member

Postby groundskeeper willy » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:17 pm

No surprise that more cuts were coming, it was just a matter of when the axe would fall. Bell's been telegraphing their financial woes for the longest time, most recently with the revenue loss from the upcoming Super Bowl simsub decision (several reports saying upwards of $25M, but of course we'll never really know since Bell isn't going to open their books in this regard), so they can easily blame that shortfall for needing to slice TV staffing levels.

As for radio, gotta wonder how long Bell will allow contra deals to go on? I'm sure they probably booked a sizeable chunk of revenue from QMFM's recent weeklong morning show promo-jaunt to Mexico, but the accountants have gotta be pulling their hair out, knowing that this type of promotion doesn't return fair value to the company's bottom line. Great that it allows the on-air staff something to give away and create 'excitement', but does anybody care about this type of promo hype anymore? How much revenue was traded away so the morning show (and promo folks) could lounge in the sun with umbrella-clad drinks? I'm sure those who were given their walking paper would like to know.

**EDIT: fixed some sloppy spelling.
groundskeeper willy
Advanced Member

Postby Aaron » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:36 pm

Aaron
Advanced Member

Postby Coolcat » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:57 am

groundskeeper willy wrote:No surprise that more cuts were coming, it was just a matter of when the axe would fall. Bell's been telegraphing their financial woes for the longest time, most recently with the revenue loss from the upcoming Super Bowl simsub decision (several reports saying upwards of $25M, but of course we'll never really know since Bell isn't going to open their books in this regard), so they can easily blame that shortfall for needing to slice TV staffing levels.

I love how CTV has two channels with different programs so that they can substitute two American shows at once if they need to. The whole channel sub thing has gotten to be a joke when you consider their revenue base is centred on how many US shows they can substitute.
Coolcat
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:28 am

From this morning's Broadcast Dialogue:

In its biggest round of layoffs since 2015, Bell Media has cut positions cross-country at its TV and radio stations. In a statement to Broadcast Dialogue, the company cites challenges it says Bell Media and other Canadian media companies are facing due to increasing international competition, the evolution of broadcast technologies, and advertising and regulatory pressure. Casualties include W5 investigate reporter Victor Malarek; CTV Vancouver anchor Coleen Christie; CHUM-FM Toronto midday host Ingrid Schumacher; CHOM Montreal morning co-host Heather Backman; CTV Okanagan reporter Kent Molgat; TSN Vancouver Whitecaps play by play voice Peter Schaad and BC Lions caller Scott Rintoul; CFAX 1070 AM Victoria morning co-host Steve Duffy; David Fisher, VP/GM for Bell’s Saskatchewan TV and radio stations; Don Mumford, VP/GM for Bell’s Southwestern Ontario stations; Gord Leighton, GM/GSM for Sun FM Vernon, EZ Rock in Salmon Arm, Revelstoke and Golden; Mark Burley, group program director for Bell Media’s 22 radio stations in the BC interior and his wife Janet Burley, GM for Sun FM 97.1, EZ Rock AM800 in Penticton, 98.5 EZ Rock Summerland and 102.9 EZ Rock Osoyoos.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby tuned » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:02 am

Profits up and dividend up over at Bell. But they're looking for more handouts from the government, whining about simsub and firing long time employees.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-o ... e33874538/
tuned
Advanced Member

Postby Doug » Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:59 pm

tuned wrote:Profits up and dividend up over at Bell. But they're looking for more handouts from the government, whining about simsub and firing long time employees.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-o ... e33874538/

I agree - I liked how BCE decided to "spin" this as a result of the end of the simultaneous substitution for U.S. Superbowl broadcasts beginning in 2017. That's bullshit. Even if it's a $25 million revenue loss, they can and should all of their Bell Media assets at a financial loss from their billions in annual profits from their Bell Canada division as a matter of simple "public good." But no...they have to find some way to increase their quarterly dividend payout (they've increased it to, I think, 71.75 cents per quarter from 68.25 cents this past week) and, if you look at their quarterly earnings per share? A whopping 75 cents. They're basically only reinvesting 3.25 cents out of 75 cents per share in earnings each quarter into their business. They're supposed to be run like a business, not a real estate investment trust that pays out 90-95% of their earnings each month. ;)

It's the "go to" stock for dividend seekers and retirees but, to me, it's a dog with a shiny coat. :)

Cheers,
Doug
Doug
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:12 am

From this morning's Broadcast Dialogue:
More names emerging from last week’s Bell Media layoffs, including Scott Lund, who had been vice-president and GM of CTV Northern Ontario since 1997 and VP of affiliate sales and distribution marketing Stephen Green. Veteran journalists Gord Nicholls in Sudbury and Cindy Males in North Bay took buyout packages. At CTV News Barrie, the sports department has been eliminated with sports anchors Alastair Connolly and Mike Arsalides offered positions as news videographers. Two veteran camera operators were also laid off, including Jim Holmes who had been with the station 38 years.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby SKradiophile » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:53 pm

I have no inside info but alleged retirement after 40 years of CTV Saskatoon anchor Rob Macdonald left me wondering then and now if that decision was an early warning shot to the others in the industry here?
SKradiophile
Advanced Member

Postby drmusic » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:10 pm

SKradiophile wrote:I have no inside info but alleged retirement after 40 years of CTV Saskatoon anchor Rob Macdonald left me wondering then and now if that decision was an early warning shot to the others in the industry here?

It's interesting that his position has not yet been filled. Is it even being advertised?
drmusic
Advanced Member

Return to On the small screen