Deol returns; expect lineup changes at Global BC

News from the world of Television

Deol returns; expect lineup changes at Global BC

Postby kal » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:12 pm

Sonia Deol has returned to the weekend 6 pm anchor slot after an extended absence.

Ms. Deol's return comes the same week as Coleen Christie has announced she is joining the Burnaby news operation.

Parent company Shaw Communications released quarterly numbers this week showing that it has managed to stem the cord-cutting tide. In fact it provided guidance suggesting that there may be positive subscriber growth in a later quarter in this fiscal year. That would certainly be a surprise after many quarters of declines.

Shaw's Internet 150 appears to have been a factor in drawing new TV subscribers. Another initiative that rolled out this past week, BlueSky TV, may show even more positive news a few quarters down the road.
kal
Advanced Member

Re: Deol returns; expect lineup changes at Global BC

Postby kal » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:37 pm

Not much interest in this thread apparently.
kal
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:58 pm

So far, it has had 293 Views.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby kal » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:25 am

I suppose I look for interaction, rather than views.

BTW, that is 8888 posts based on the previous reply. There has to be some sort of significance to that number!
kal
Advanced Member

Postby Mike Cleaver » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:32 pm

The truth is the ratings for TV news "shows" are abysmal.
The 6pm packages all get less than a 5 share of sets in use in the Vancouver survey area.
Most now comprise of stolen video from You Tube, Facebook, other networks, "entertainment" crap and stuff sent in by viewers.
Most of the good reporters are gone and most of the anchors are amateurish at best.
And what's with the folksie comments after "news" stories?
It's all beginning to look like that crapfest TMZ.
Few people really care anymore.
Again, most people I know under the age of 40 don't even watch TV anymore and many don't even have a TV set.
If they do, it's connected to the Internet where video on demand is king.
People don't want to be tied to a specific time to watch anything anymore.
They want it on their schedule and available on their own portable devices.
The networks keep cutting back on news staff.
Sports has been cut by many.
News shows still are expensive to produce, even though salaries have fallen over the years.
Too many people still required, even though there are no longer camera people, floor directors, etc. because of automation.
This is a dying form of programming.
The viewing numbers will continue to fall.
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Engineering, News, Voice work and Consulting
Vancouver, BC, Canada

54 years experience at some of Canada's Premier Broadcasting Stations
Mike Cleaver
Advanced Member

Postby Tom Jeffries » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:32 pm

Radio is finished and TV is on it's last legs.
Mike Cleaver and I are in lockstep.
I urge all people in the media to make sure they have a plan 'b'.
For example - word has it - the big shots from TO are going to eviscerate 2440 Ash Street.
They need to drop high paid "suits" and pray that their stream is hot on Spotify, or whatever....or they are DEAD.
Take a look at how brutal the bottom line numbers are for big American Broadcast Companies.
Canada echoes.
It's a new day.
Tom Jeffries
Advanced Member

Postby Russ_Byth » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:21 pm

Tom Jeffries wrote:Radio is finished

For some maybe Tom. Some of us still have a blast at it. :carrot: :groovy:
Russ_Byth
Advanced Member

Postby Mike Cleaver » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:28 pm

And if you still want to watch TV News done well, watch any of the 3 legacy Seattle Stations.
Their newscasts have been vastly superior since I started watching them on cable in Kelowna in the 60s.
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Engineering, News, Voice work and Consulting
Vancouver, BC, Canada

54 years experience at some of Canada's Premier Broadcasting Stations
Mike Cleaver
Advanced Member

Postby tuned » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:24 am

The cable companies get you one way or the other. They control the pipes and the content thanks to a compliant "regulator". Radio is not dead by a long shot. The average shlub stuck on their daily commute still listen corporate to radio and are stuffing hundreds of millions of dollars into the pockets of shareholders. Even newspapers are starting to turn the corner since they've almost eliminated their biggest expense...printing. They've gutted newsrooms and wages haven't gone up in decades so bottom lines are nice and fat. Their websites are jammed with video ads and pop ups. What's changed from thirty years ago is that a couple of corporations own everything and are acting accordingly. Worker bees and consumers have very little leverage. Sure you can "switch" providers every six months but what a hassle. Cel phone service is an even bigger ripoff and yet people pay because they want to show off the latest cel phone. The doom and gloom is only if you are trying to earn a living in media but if you're a shareholder it's Fat City.
tuned
Advanced Member

Postby tuned » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:18 am

Deol is a marble mouth with a pretentious accent. If she didn't have that last name she wouldn't be on the air. She's unwatchable.
tuned
Advanced Member

Postby WheresFredTaylor » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:19 am

tuned wrote:Deol is a marble mouth with a pretentious accent. If she didn't have that last name she wouldn't be on the air. She's unwatchable.

Sounds like Quinn Phillips.
WheresFredTaylor
Advanced Member

Postby gwp » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:03 pm

tuned wrote:Deol is a marble mouth with a pretentious accent. If she didn't have that last name she wouldn't be on the air. She's unwatchable.

People do not speak with an accent. People listen with their accent.
It is my expectation that you are going to sound like me.
How I speak is the result of what I have heard since I was an infant and eventually gave voice to as I mimicked what I heard.

Does listening with my Canadian accent cause me to pay more attention occasionally? Of course, because what I hear is my problem. The speaker’s identity is no less legitimate than my own. Remember, the other person is also listening with their accent, and you sound equally different...(or pretentious)
gwp
gwp
Advanced Member

Postby Howaboutthat » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:46 pm

gwp wrote:

People do not speak with an accent. People listen with their accent.
It is my expectation that you are going to sound like me.
How I speak is the result of what I have heard since I was an infant and eventually gave voice to as I mimicked what I heard.

Does listening with my Canadian accent cause me to pay more attention occasionally? Of course, because what I hear is my problem. The speaker’s identity is no less legitimate than my own. Remember, the other person is also listening with their accent, and you sound equally different...(or pretentious)

Well said gwp!
Houston, We're dealing with morons!.
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Postby Doug » Wed May 10, 2017 10:13 am

I've been really impressed with the move of Jay Durant to main news anchor on News Hour Final. His presence also softens Anne Drewa's rather hard delivery. :)

Coleen Christie would be a welcome to eventually replace Sophie Lui on Early News Hour at 5 pm or, my preference, shift Sophie Lui solely to 5 pm and put Coleen on with Chris Gailus. I'd actually watch Global TV News exclusively if they did that! ;)

I'd also like to see Jay Durant named sole anchor of News Hour Final, move Anne Drewa to the Noon News or to Global BC Morning News.

The worst news anchor, by far, in BC is substitute CBC TV anchor Megan Batchelor. I can't stand her bias, her pretentiousness and wrong-headed feminism where she caused a whole controversy where some young dude innocently gave her an innocent peck on the cheek when she was doing a live hit a few years ago. :(

Cheers,
Doug
Doug
Advanced Member

Return to On the small screen