Don Newlands' DJ Pics from '67 to '69 (coast to coast)

A look back at various radio stations

Don Newlands' DJ Pics from '67 to '69 (coast to coast)

Postby albertaboy4life » Sat May 20, 2017 8:32 pm

Eric Mac Ewan; Don Daynard; CKLG's Steve Grossman; CKRC's Ron Legge; CJMS's Michel Desrochers; CFCF's Dave Boxer; CFOX's Roger Scott; CHUM's Brian Skinner; and CKFH's "Big G" Walters join CKXL's Buddy B. for some jock and studio photos by Don Newland -

http://klixpix.photoshelter.com/search? ... _DSC_AND=t
Faster cars, younger women, older cheese, more money . . .
albertaboy4life
Advanced Member

Re: Don Newlands' DJ Pics from '67 to '69 (coast to coast)

Postby albertaboy4life » Sun May 21, 2017 8:22 am

One more pic of Steve at 'LG, not included in the above link -

http://klixpix.photoshelter.com/gallery ... l1GYekTzZk
Faster cars, younger women, older cheese, more money . . .
albertaboy4life
Advanced Member

Postby Neumann Sennheiser » Mon May 22, 2017 11:38 am

These are really quite a rare and wonderful find. You can see the prints have, over time, been damaged by water and other contaminants but are valuable in the fact that they are professional color images taken with good equipment.
To put a date on this series, I'd safely say January 1968; basing that on the calendar seen in the image of the CKLG studio with Stevie Wonder. It's difficult to read but it's the only month that matches the 67-69 time spread that has 31 days beginning on a Monday and ending on a Wednesday.
Knowing that, you can safely establish that it's Don Daynard in the CKFH control room. Big "G" Walters would have also been at CKFH at that time so I'm going to surmise that his photo series was shot in the CKFH production studio.
It's interesting to see how many Canadian stations were using that particular model of McCurdy board seen here over and over. I ran the same one seen here at CKXL and would say, in memory, it's still my favorite; super operator-friendly and solid.
Looks to be a somewhat modified Gates President in the CKLG studio which is a bit unusual; they were more popular and found more often in American stations of the time. A version of the same console was used at KLIF in Dallas.
Roger Scott at CFOX; he was a Brit who did very well in Montreal for a few years utilizing his English accent and after that carved out a nice career back home in Great Britain. The English accent bit was not just the novelty that carried him, he was actually a very talented jock who ran a tight board and hit posts with the best of us.
"You don't know man! I was in radio man! I've seen things you wouldn't believe!"
Neumann Sennheiser
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Mon May 22, 2017 12:10 pm

Neumann Sennheiser wrote:You can see the prints have, over time, been damaged by water and other contaminants but are valuable in the fact that they are professional color images taken with good equipment.

Interesting thought.

My first thought was that the "damage" was an Effect added with graphics software to reduce the chance of the pictures being posted on someone else's web site.

What do other people think is going on with the white blotches?
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Tom Jeffries » Mon May 22, 2017 2:09 pm

Big G Walters was our weekend star, at CFTR.

He was a great jock, and a real character. Unbelievably funny.

RIP.
Tom Jeffries
Advanced Member

Return to Radio Station History