Shame on you Global TV News

Radio News from British Columbia

Shame on you Global TV News

Postby Sevareid » Wed May 24, 2017 6:25 pm

We all know that our provincial election results were uncertain on election night. But tonight, two weeks later, I rushed home to catch the 6:00 Global News...their own CKNW had been reporting new developments in the provincial count of absentee votes, the results of which would determine our next Premier. But their first "news" story on the flagship 6:00 cast was about a shooting in East Vancouver. I flipped over to CTV and CBC and they featured up-to-the-minute comments from the 3 party leaders. Back to Sophie and Chris...their second story was about another shooting in Vancouver. Gawd...if it bleeds it leads! I couldn't help but think of the CKNW listeners in their cars, heading home, unable to watch the TV news at 6:00. All they got was the shoot 'em up simulcast on Global, the once-proud BCTV Newshour. (I'll bet the CKNW Newsroom was quietly cringing)
Who makes these decisions? Are there no repercussions? The East Vancouver shooting was YESTERDAY for goodness sake; the final election count was an hour ago. The comments from the party leaders were made minutes ago. Around 6:05 Global got to their third story about some landmark vote count up in Courtenay-Comox. If only someone has been shot when the results were announced. Now that's (American style) news!
Sevareid

Re: Shame on you Global TV News

Postby radioman » Wed May 24, 2017 6:45 pm

It's like the Global news team really doesn't know what they are doing anymore. Who's the News Director at Global Vancouver.

And this whole business of simulcasting the 6:00 p.m. Global newscast on CKNW is pathetic. Is this being done so the CKNW news team can go for a one-hour dinner at 6:00 p.m. while the board op (or the automated computer system) handles the 6:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. hour?

TV news on the radio is a disaster. The listener hears all sorts of sounds from the audio/visual background to a story and wonders what is happening. The cute puppy stories, the latest in clothing fashions, the stories with fantastic undescribed visuals on the tv cast really go over "well" on the radio with everything left to the radio listeners imagination.

Who are the "geniuses" who come up with these ideas? We have to remember that no matter what the promos on CKNW say about their 6:00 p.m. newscast being "oh so good" because they now have the resources of Global working with them, money is the bottom line and that is why this second or third rate CKNW newscast is being foisted on the listeners.
radioman
Advanced Member

Re: Shame on you Global TV News

Postby Anomaly » Wed May 24, 2017 11:16 pm

Shame how both media outlets have sunk so low from their glorious pasts. :(
Anomaly

Return to British Columbia