Newcap

Radio news from Alberta

Newcap

Postby WheresFredTaylor » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:03 am

How many newcap stations rebranded today?
WheresFredTaylor
Advanced Member

Re: Newcap

Postby Aaron » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:13 am

Aaron
Advanced Member

Postby Aaron » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:03 am

Actually, looks like more. 8 Rock or Classic hits stations flipped to Boom, and a couple other stations flipped to Real Country.
Aaron
Advanced Member

Postby WheresFredTaylor » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:04 am

Makes it easier to voice track from a central location I guess.
WheresFredTaylor
Advanced Member

Postby Dan Sys » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:53 am

Here is the list of Newcap stations in Alberta effected from what I have been able to determine. No hint as to which station will be the originating station for the network.

ATHABASCA
CKBA 94.1 "The River" becomes "Boom 94.1"
http://boom941.com/

BROOKS
CIXF 101.1 "The One" becomes "Boom 101.1"
http://boom1011.com/

COLD LAKE
CJXK 95.3 "K-Rock 95.3" becomes "Boom 95.3"
http://boom953.ca/

EDSON
CFXE 94.3 "The Eagle" becomes "Real Country West"
http://realcountrywest.ca/

HINTON
CFHI 104.9 "Real Country 104.9" becomes "Boom 104.9"
http://boom1049.com/

LAC LA BICHE
CILB 103.5 "Big Dog FM" becomes "Boom 103.5"
http://boom1035.com/

SLAVE LAKE
CHSL 92.7 "Lake FM" becomes "Boom 92.7"
http://boom927.com/

WAINWRIGHT
CKKY 101.9 "K-Rock 101.9" becomes "Boom 101.9"
http://1019boom.com/

WHITECOURT
CFXW 96.7 "The Rig" becomes "Boom 96.7"
http://boom967.com/
Dan Sys
Advanced Member

Postby TRENT310 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:03 pm

I always yearned for the return of the networked stations and I guess this is it, although now they're all on FM and having way less coverage than they used to on AM. Flipping Real Country from CFHI to CFXE/H/P/G gives it better overall coverage along the 16 west corridor, and program synchronized so you can flip between frequencies and still be listening to the same thing. Whitecourt's just in the middle of the fringe contours for CFXE and CKWB.

The websites are still very hacked together and not functional or include bits from other stations (copypasta?) at this point.

Also CFXE is still running the CFHI "Real Country 104-9" jingles, interestingly enough. Sure that's causing some more listener confusion this morning.
TRENT310
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:09 pm

A quick look at the three closest (to each other and to me) Booms, in Athabasca, Whitecourt and Hinton, the Morning shows are separately hosted and Afternoon Drive has the same host for all three.

In fact, Afternoons are Matt Storey who is listed on LinkedIn as working on-air for both LG 104.3 Vancouver and Boom Toronto, which are both Newcap.

Trent: be warned that the Fox network was NOT simulcast, but played the same music in the same order and got way out of sync as the day wore on.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby TRENT310 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:44 pm

jon wrote:Trent: be warned that the Fox network was NOT simulcast, but played the same music in the same order and got way out of sync as the day wore on.

Which is typical for the rest of Real Country and even both CFCWs (as one station has several more advertising slots than the other). In practice this is the only way to do it while keeping continuity of each station as a normal listener would hear it. The other guys (Golden West, Astral/Bell come to mind) do the same these days.

If they were simulcast the way Cat Country used to be, they would be cutting off songs, advertisements, and voice tracks all the time. In the later years of that, they had a long filler/bumper jingle that would play out the last few seconds before the top of the hour (CFCW did too) to avoid dead air or starting a song and cutting it off with the station ID mere seconds into it. That's pretty unpleasant and wouldn't be good automation today though.
TRENT310
Advanced Member

Postby TRENT310 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:55 pm

Another curiosity question, are commercial broadcasters held to their proposed formats (proposed to the CRTC by application) or are they free to change them as they please as long as they are not subject to specialty status? I can think of a few stations that launch with a "teaser" or otherwise a format to distract the competition while they move to their intended branding or format ... say CILB which was supposed to be Country and launched as Adult Contemporary, or CKKY which was supposed to retain Country going to FM but flipped to Classic Rock, or any of the other stations pulling the comedy or Christmas format during a transition.
TRENT310
Advanced Member

Postby Aaron » Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:03 pm

Stations aren't beholden to their formats, but rather their format type. And all mainstream music formats fall under the same type.
Aaron
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:21 pm

TRENT310 wrote:are commercial broadcasters held to their proposed formats (proposed to the CRTC by application) or are they free to change them as they please as long as they are not subject to specialty status?

That has long been a point of potential contention between the CRTC and broadcasters. One of the best known examples of one of those situations going bad was CKRA-FM Edmonton. They proposed Adult Contemporary but came on the air as a lighter version of K-97, playing current Rock album cuts at the end of the 1970s and even calling themselves K-96 on air, though I have never seen any logos saying that.

K-97 complained to the CRTC and CKRA became K-Lite, inventing the AC Music at Work generation in Edmonton.

These days, the CRTC tends to avoid any confusion on the subject by putting a clause in the license requiring certain percentages of certain kinds of music when they feel strongly on the subject for a particular station. Of course, they always have the ability to add such a clause on a license renewal.

As well as specific clauses in the license, there is also a few different "types" of licenses. Language is the obvious "type". As well as preventing a station from switching between English and French, it has also been used to prevent a station from airing more than a specified amount of other language programming.

Finally, there are the standard requirements of a license, most notably the requirement for FM stations to play music. More than a certain percentage of Talk programming on FM requires a license that explicitly permits it.

All that said, there may be recent examples of the CRTC chiding new stations for not programming what they promised without a clause in their license specifying format. If anyone know of any, I'd be happy to dig out the CRTC material on the subject. On the other hand, a relatively recent example of a station signing on for the first time with a different format than they promised would be CFCW-FM which signed on as Big Earl, playing Contemporary Country in a Jack-FM style, when they had promised Adult Contemporary in their license application.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Aaron » Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:23 pm

jon wrote:Finally, there are the standard requirements of a license, most notably the requirement for FM stations to play music. More than a certain percentage of Talk programming on FM requires a license that explicitly permits it.

All that said, there may be recent examples of the CRTC chiding new stations for not programming what they promised without a clause in their license specifying format. If anyone know of any, I'd be happy to dig out the CRTC material on the subject. On the other hand, a relatively recent example of a station signing on for the first time with a different format than they promised would be CFCW-FM which signed on as Big Earl, playing Contemporary Country in a Jack-FM style, when they had promised Adult Contemporary in their license application.

Though, they didn't "promise" AC, they just stated it. I don't know why, when the CRTC doesn't track formats outside of specialty licences, that format is ever mentioned in the application process. They have no process to distinguish AC from AAA or AAA from Rock, so why even bring it up?
Aaron
Advanced Member

Postby WheresFredTaylor » Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:35 pm

I don't understand the Edson station flipping to country. You know have, within earshot...

CFCW and CISN in Edmonton, which gets fairly close to Edson.
Real Country Westlock/Barrhead.
Real Country Edson
CIXM in Whitecourt

Better yet, Real County Hinton signed on what, six months ago? So Hinton wasn't working, what makes someone think that the same station in Edson, which reaches Hinton, will have better results?
WheresFredTaylor
Advanced Member

Postby WheresFredTaylor » Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:35 pm

WheresFredTaylor wrote:I don't understand the Edson station flipping to country. You know have, within earshot...

CFCW and CISN in Edmonton, which gets fairly close to Edson.
Real Country Westlock/Barrhead.
Real Country Edson
CIXM in Whitecourt

Better yet, Real County Hinton signed on what, six months ago? So Hinton wasn't working, what makes someone think that the same station in Edson, which reaches Hinton, will have better results?

Forgot about Jim Pattison (Big West?) in Drayton Valley.
WheresFredTaylor
Advanced Member

Postby TRENT310 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:25 pm

CIBW can be heard in Edson, so is CIXM. CKWB Westlock drops off around 6 mile hill east of Whitecourt due to FM propagation characteristics and doesn't normally make it to Edson at all apart from during certain weather conditions. CISN doesn't really cover much past Wabamun/Seba Beach given their transmitter location south east of Edmonton.

I can't stand the Fabmar/CIXM at all in town, so I usually listen to CKWB but CFXE gives me new options to listen to a Newcap country station. (And of course the CFCW/CKDQ pair, although CKDQ is typically more usable around the area than CFCW, even after the frequency change.)

CIXM directly targets the Edson and Barrhead markets as well (over the air, in community event coverage, and on billboard/print advertising) so I suspect Newcap sees them as competition.
TRENT310
Advanced Member

Next

Return to Alberta