Mansbridge gone and National's numbers up

News from the world of Television

Mansbridge gone and National's numbers up

Postby SKradiophile » Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:45 pm

I had a hunch this might happen. I just saw the most recent Numeris top 30 TV series in Canada ending July 24. For the first time in my recollection, The National without Peter Mansbridge has its highest rating coming in at # 30.
SKradiophile
Advanced Member

Re: Mansbridge gone and National's numbers up

Postby jon » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:44 pm

In some sense, Peter Mansbridge predicted that this would happen.

In his persistent refusal to participate in the selection of his replacement. His argument was that he was in the wrong Demographic to help select someone who would appeal to a much younger Demographic.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby tuned » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:07 am

So inept CBC management doesn't replace Mansbridge and instead uses B talent already on the payroll. Nobody wants to watch Andrew Chang in Vancouver but the rest of the country will love him. Right.
They also lose one of their best field reporters. CBC TV ratings are lousy because management is too busy trying to fulfill their political agenda than worry about viewers. I'm sick and tired of paying for it.
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/na ... e35855917/
tuned
Advanced Member

Postby bigbry » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:34 pm

To quote "The Beaverton"... "CBC splits single white man's salary between two women, two minorities."
bigbry
Advanced Member

Postby SKradiophile » Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:22 pm

:lol:
SKradiophile
Advanced Member

Postby tuned » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:39 am

Pocketing Mansbridge's salary is more like it. Maybe they each get a little bump but by having rotating hosts no one has any bargaining power.
tuned
Advanced Member

Postby Doug » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:20 pm

tuned wrote:Pocketing Mansbridge's salary is more like it. Maybe they each get a little bump but by having rotating hosts no one has any bargaining power.

Great point! I hadn't thought of that specifically. Well, I certainly thought of the aspect of giving less profile to any one anchor; guess I never finished my thought. ;)

CBC's reports, especially Paul Hunter's, have become more biased and more "groupthink," i.e. copycat journalism. I'm not impressed; nor am I impressed with CTV National News mind you.

I've pretty much, sadly, given up on Canadian TV broadcast news, focusing on digital sources for my Canadian news and on a mix of BBC World News, CGTN, Al-Jazeera English and FOX News Channel for my U.S. and world affairs news coverage. For business news, it's a "mixed bag," really, of BNN, Bloomberg (preferrably the U.S. one - Lily Jamali, Rudyard Griffiths, Amanda Lang, Pat Kiernan and Mark Bunting are all totally unwatchable on the Canadian version) and some CNBC.

Would've loved to see Diana Swain and, possibly, Mark Kelley splitting duties. Sadly, but unsurprisingly with uninspired leadership (Jennifer McGuire must go!), they went in the wrong direction completely, with the lone exception of Rosie Barton, though she was likely chosen only as the Thursday anchor and lead/host of the "At Issue" segment and commentary series. She'll probably moderate the "Insiders" segment on a night when someone else is anchoring, too. Andrew Chang seems to think he's going to be anchoring a live, western broadcast, at 10 PM Pacific; I'm not so sure. I suspect he could be the weekend and Friday night anchor. They already have CBC News Now for three hours, including at 10 PM Pacific, live, a host which hasn't been named. I fear that'll go to Sarah Galashan and her dreadfully awful "verbal fry" or inexperienced, "wet under the gills," publicity-seeking and equally awful Megan Batchelor. Ian and Adrienne, who is talented and yes has a neat story, will likely "spell each other off" Monday through Wednesday while they take turns reporting frequently from the field. When they're both in Toronto, Adrienne may host those three nights and read the news and then Ian will moderate the Bottom Line and Turning Point panels (hopefully the other panels get cancelled! :)) and possibly introduce the long-form documentary specials, if any. :)

Cheers,
Doug
Doug
Advanced Member

Return to On the small screen