Four take over from one at The National.

News from the world of Television

Four take over from one at The National.

Postby kal » Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:21 pm

That would be Ian Hanomansing and Adrienne Arsenault working out of Toronto, Rosemary Barton out of Ottawa and Andrew Chang from Vancouver. All have solid journalism credentials. Hanomansing and Barton are good interviewers

And that's no small change for the country's flagship news program. Whether the new format works remains to be seen, not only from a personnel perspective but for format as well. We won' get to see the new format until November.

It's quite a gamble for the CBC.

A terrific lineup. I’d have preferred a single-host format under Ian Hanomansing but understand why the CBC is going the multi-host route. Hanomansing has that same cool-under-pressure gravitas that Mansbridge exhibited.
kal
Advanced Member

Re: Four take over from one at The National.

Postby Mike Cleaver » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:36 pm

Based on some previous inside information, the original plan was to go with rotating hosts for a year and then decide on a permanent single anchor.
The rotating host thingie has been done in summertime by both CBC and CTV, similar to the on air auditions by radio stations looking for new talent.
Perhaps this plan has been changed.
The problem with the so called "flagship" national news broadcast is that they're three hours out of date by the time we see them here on the left coast.
As usual, everything is Toronto focused.
They're also trying to go for the younger demographic with a focus on digital because no one under the age of 30 watches "appointment viewing" on Television.
Everyone wants to watch and hear what they want on their schedule so the focus on digital delivery makes a lot of sense.
Hopefully, that focus won't lead to the "dumbing down" of coverage with fewer experienced reporters and support staff.
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Engineering, News, Voice work and Consulting
Vancouver, BC, Canada

54 years experience at some of Canada's Premier Broadcasting Stations
Mike Cleaver
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:53 pm

Mike Cleaver wrote:The problem with the so called "flagship" national news broadcast is that they're three hours out of date by the time we see them here on the left coast.

When did that change? Last I heard, The National was done live for each Time Zone, except Newfoundland, which was combined with Atlantic Time for the rest of the Maritimes. In other words, four times a night.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Mike Cleaver » Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:09 pm

Jon, that died years ago.
There's one show done that runs across the country.
Remember when the two major networks had delay centres in each time zone?
The show was taped and ran at 11pm local times.
Same with other programming.
If a show ran at 8pm Eastern, it ran at 8pm local in other time zones.
It was the cost that ended that and the fact the anchors and other staff would have to hang around that killed the idea of a broadcast for each time zone.
Vancouver, BC, Canada

Mike Cleaver
Advanced Member

Postby radioman » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:21 pm

I heard that they do a first edition of The National at 9:00 p.m. ET which is broadcast in the Eastern time zone at 10:00 p.m. Then they do a second edition at 10:00 p.m. ET which is broadcast in the Eastern time zone. This edition is taped and subsequently broadcast at 10:00 p.m. in each of the three western time zones, CT, MT and PT.

And, of course, the first edition of The National is broadcast on the CBC News Network at 6:00 p.m. PT (and I presume across the country) with a number of repeats throughout the evening.

I have noticed if there is some big ongoing breaking story that they will do updated versions even on the 10:00 p.m. PT broadcast which would mean that the broadcast is originating at 1:00 a.m. ET.
radioman
Advanced Member

Postby radioman » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:54 pm

Correction on my earlier post--the 9:00 p.m. ET edition is broadcast in the Atlantic time zone at 10:00 p.m. AT, NOT 10:00 p.m. ET.
radioman
Advanced Member

Postby mccrady » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:09 pm

When I was there the Atlantic time zone show was referred to internally as 'The Rehearsal'. The 'Real' National' done to the eastern time zone was then tape-delayed west.

As noted previously, the only exceptions were when a major continuing story was breaking or such events as an election forced them to stick around to the wee hours and update west.

I'm reasonably certain the same strategy applies at CeeTeeVee, judging from what I see on time-shifted channels.
mccrady
Advanced Member

Postby Coolcat » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:17 pm

I remember earlier this year when Quebec City had that shooting late at night, CBC was not on the scene or even reporting it in any detail. The only one was the CTV Newschannel which had someone there within 2-3 hours. CBC finally got on board the next day shipping a massive crew there after the fact.
Coolcat
Advanced Member

Postby Mike Cleaver » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:28 am

There used to be a newscaster on standby in the CBC studio in Toronto overnight for breaking news stories.
The last time I remember them going live on the main network overnight was the Tsunami in Japan when a veteran Japanese Canadian whose name has slipped my mind happened to be on duty.
It was pure luck that he was there on that night, being able to immediately translate the feed from NHK for Canadian viewers. It was live television at it's best.
Vancouver, BC, Canada

Mike Cleaver
Advanced Member

Return to On the small screen