Can-Con 45 Of The Day - September 1

Can-Con 45 Of The Day - September 1

Postby radiofan » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:04 pm

Today's Can-Con 45 is from 1974 ... Myles & Lenny and "Can You Give It All To Me" ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPzLy4jI-g8

Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: Can-Con 45 Of The Day - September 1

Postby Richard Skelly » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:22 am

How come more acts don't add a fiddle to the mix?

The spooky violin really ramped up the tension on this Myles and Lenny single. Ditto on Darkness Darkness by The Youngbloods, White Bird by It's A Beautiful Day and Fat Bird by The Collectors.
Richard Skelly
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:25 am

Violins can have a powerful impact on a song. In earlier years, it was a surefire addition if you wanted a really sad song that people would cry along with.

Their impact was ratcheted up as album cuts started getting airplay around 1967, and violins also moved into the single versions of songs without trying to make the listener cry.

The late Cam(pbell) Lane was motivated to get back to some singing when I worked with him at CFPR Prince Rupert in 1972. I played him "Over the Rainbow" by Papa John Creech, a great violin instrumental, and it inspired him to get into the studio and sing to it.

A little later, there was the Maritime influence that added Fiddles to a lot of Canadian music. I remember seeing Bruce Cockburn in concert shortly after he added violin solos to his newer songs.

Though the late Stan Rogers was my favourite artist of the "Maritime wave". Stan died tragically in a flash fire on an Air Canada flight in 1983. One of his popular songs, "The White Collar Holler", was the first I ever heard about someone who worked with computers.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Richard Skelly » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:58 am

In addition to being a unique singer, Shari Ulrich remains a dab hand at violin and has aced some memorable solos with Pied Pumpkin, The Hometown Band, UHF and her own solo recordings.

As for Stan Rogers, his brother Garnet has just published a memoir that heavily details the grinding years of work that preceded Stan becoming well known. Garnet told Tom Power on Q that it's a warts-and-all account of his late sibling. Due to Stan's tragic demise, he's been sanitized and sanctified, Garnet explains, by music historians who overlook his complex and temperamental personality. He contends they also forget the sheer musical power of the trio and the vital support of family (their parents bankrolled early records and oversaw a mail-order distribution system that arguably made Stan an indie pioneer).

Sounds like it'll be a good read.
Richard Skelly
Advanced Member

Return to Can-Con 45 Of The Day