what the F?

General Radio News and Comments, Satellite & Internet Radio and LPFM

what the F?

Postby crs » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:11 am

Having a tough time wrapping my head around this CBSC ruling. It's the F word FFS: http://www.abbynews.com/national-news/f ... roadcasts/
Keep your feet on the ground and keep reaching for the stars!
crs
Advanced Member

Re: what the F?

Postby ThisIsNotCBC » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:50 am

Get this:

It says the F-word does not have the same “vulgar connotation” in French that it does in English and notes that the term was not used as an insult directed at a specific target.

Oh, really?

The first instance came shortly before 4:30 p.m. on Jan. 23, when afternoon hosts were discussing Madonna’s address to the recent Women’s March on Washington. The hosts aired and discussed a clip in which the pop star concluded her remarks with a profanity aimed at those who opposed the march.

In that case, it was aimed at a specific target (the opponents of the march) and was intended to insult. This was also the same speech where Madonna talked about wanting to bomb a Trump-occupied White House (an ill-considered choice of words that earned her a talk with the Secret Service and a heavy amount of flack from the public).
ThisIsNotCBC
Advanced Member

The F in French

Postby slowhand » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:00 pm

Let me get this straight. It is OK to air an English language audio clip that is not allowed on an English language radio station, just so long as you air it on a non-English language radio station. And can argue that a speaker of that language would not find the word objectionable if used when speaking that language.

The CBSC won't have a leg to stand on when an English language shock jock fills his morning show with a collection of clips of all the offensive words that he can find in all the languages of the world, just so long as he leaves out English.

There could be some validity to what was being said if it was a French language clip and the argument was that an obscene concept in English might not be obscene in French.

The bigger question is why English language audio clips are even allowed on French language programming on French language radio stations? The CRTC specifically banned bilingual programming decades ago, which I never understood. Marc Denis used to do such great bilingual programming.
slowhand
Advanced Member

Postby pave » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:56 pm

"Mais Oui", Marc Denis would likely be included among those who wouldn't have given a rat's-ass on this matter.
Meanwhile, for some, insulting people who desperately need to be insulted is, shall I say, a worthy and enjoyable hobby.
Plus, there are so many available targets of opportunity. :groovy:
pave
Advanced Member

Postby paterson » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:04 pm

The Canadian Press story is incorrect calling the CBSC Canada's broadcast regulator. The CRTC would be that.

Also why would they care if a french language station aired the F bomb. English TV stations already do (Comedy Now, Just for Laughs, The Disappearance and 19-2 to name just a few, and all of which are Canadian programs). Also I have seen and heard the F word on news reports before. The news director or station/network must have felt the story warranted some swearing if it ran unedited.

So I don't understand why this has been on radio, newspaper and TV news reports today. Isn't the Canadian Broadcasting Standards Council more volunteer and really set guidelines for private broadcasts to try to adhere to?

I don't believe the CRTC cares if a station airs a news report that has a clip or actuality in another language. If you want to air Madonna swearing at a rally or protest, it will likely be in english. Or if english radio airs a clip of protesters swearing in french outside of parliament in Ottawa I don't think the CRTC would really care.

They did get a little concerned back in the late 70's and early 80's when a few Montreal english language radio stations were starting to play some french hit music on a more or less regular basis and some announcers were speaking french in and out of their programs. Sounds kind of silly when the stations were only reflecting the city. Marc Denis was the best at this and CKGM was a powerhouse in the ratings in both english and french demographics. Marc was talking to his audience!

French radio stations in Montreal play 65% french music of which almost all is Canadian. The french stations felt they would be at a disadvantage if the english stations played the best french hit songs which could be included in their 35% cancon rotation. Actually back then it was still 30%. The CRTC ruled that english radio hosts should broadcast in english and french station hosts in french.

I read recently that Bell Media and a few other broadcast owners are trying to get the french music quota reduced from 65%. for french language radio stations.

Happy November everyone!
paterson
Advanced Member

Postby Sunny » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:10 pm

paterson wrote:
I read recently that Bell Media and a few other broadcast owners are trying to get the french music quota reduced from 65%. for french language radio stations.

All the players have been trying to do that for decades. There's a bigger push now obviously because of the changed media landscape. I believe the CRTC will decide again on that next year, if not 2019. That decision will be tied in with what they're going to do with the Hit/Non-Hit regs still in place for the Montreal and Ottawa/Gatineau markets.
Sunny

Postby paterson » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:02 pm

Good point, I forgot about the hit/non-hit regs for Montreal and Ottawa/Gatineau. That should have been changed a long time ago. Also I checked to see what quota France has for french music. It was reduced last year to 35% from 40% which was first brought in 1994. Sort of odd that our french stations play a much higher quota of french music than France. Easy to see why the players here want it reduced from 65%.
paterson
Advanced Member

Postby ThisIsNotCBC » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:36 pm

pave wrote:"Mais Oui", Marc Denis would likely be included among those who wouldn't have given a rat's-ass on this matter.
Meanwhile, for some, insulting people who desperately need to be insulted is, shall I say, a worthy and enjoyable hobby.
Plus, there are so many available targets of opportunity. :groovy:

Like, let's say, Madonna, Ashley Judd, Samantha Bee, Stephen Colbert, Harvey Weinstein, Kevin Spacey and so many others in the entertainment industry, along with CNN, MSNBC, CBC, Vice Media and the rest of the "drive-by media" and the entire Democrat Party (along with the federal Liberals, the NDP and the Greens)...
ThisIsNotCBC
Advanced Member

Return to General Radio News