Can-Con 45 Of The Day - November 10

Can-Con 45 Of The Day - November 10

Postby radiofan » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:34 pm

Today's Can-Con 45 is from 1971 ... The Guess Who and "Life In The Bloodstream" ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SM4eZCv7nw

Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: Can-Con 45 Of The Day - November 10

Postby Richard Skelly » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:56 pm

Evocative of reverb-eerie '50s rock, Life In The Bloodstream was probably the B-side of either Guns Guns Gun or Heartbroken Bopper. Both released from the retro-themed Rockin' album, neither entered the US Top 40. Indeed, the band would wait until 1974 before regaining commercial success.

But that's not to dismiss their output from this seemingly fallow period. Personnel changed--guitarist Greg Leskiw left after Rockin' while bassist Jim Kale exited in 1972. Yet Burton Cummings and his crew pushed boundaries and retained a core audience that purchased just enough albums to keep the band on RCA's American roster.

Couldn't find a credit, but suspect Burt played the saxophone on Bloodstream. He learned enough flute technique to add a great solo to Undun. So speed-teaching himself notes for another reed instrument like sax wouldn't have been a huge stretch.
Richard Skelly
Advanced Member

Postby Neumann Sennheiser » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:59 pm

Sour Suite was, in fact. the A side to Life In the Bloodstream's B.
There was a stretch of Guess Who singles 1969 through 1972 wherein the band charted memorable and strong entries from both sides of the respective 45's released.

Laughing - A / Undun - B
American Woman - A / No Sugar Tonight - B
Share the Land - A / Bus Rider - B

To a lesser extent: No Time / B side Proper Stranger and maybe even Albert Flasher w/ Broken on the flip.
"You don't know man! I was in radio man! I've seen things you wouldn't believe!"
Neumann Sennheiser
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:15 am

Which brings up an interesting point. I tried to remember what the B side of "These Eyes" was, and drew a blank. Though the right answer came into my head for an instant, but I dismissed it immediately.

"Lightfoot", a tribute song, is the correct answer, by the way.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Richard Skelly » Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:09 pm

Good catch, Neumann on my error.

Due to Life In The Bloodstream's '50s vibe, I mistakenly concluded it came from Rockin' (which featured a great cover of Running Bear). In fact, it hailed from So Long, Bannatyne. A pity that Burton chose Sour Suite for the A-side's title since it doesn't really appear in the lyrics. The single probably would've charted much higher in the US had the song's most repeated line, 46201, been utilized. (46201 is an Indianapolis area code, so something important to Burton must have happened there.)

As for Lightfoot, it was a three-person composition...Bachman, Cummings and Rob Matheson. Presumably a fellow Winnipeger, Matheson popped up two years later, collaborating with former Guess Who vocalist Chad Allan for songs recorded for Brave Belt's debut album. Brave Belt was Randy Bachman's first attempt at post-Guess Who fame. Fellow member CF "Fred" Turner took over lead vocals when Allan left, the band renamed itself Bachman Turner Overdrive, and the rest is history.
Richard Skelly
Advanced Member

Return to Can-Con 45 Of The Day