Six more jobs cut at CTV Vancouver

News from the world of Television

Six more jobs cut at CTV Vancouver

Postby Mike Cleaver » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:49 pm

Marke Driesschen just posted on Facebook that six more people bit the dust at CTV Vancouver today, nice just before Christmas season again.
There may have been more at other stations across Canada.
So how does Bhell look to you now?
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Engineering, News, Voice work and Consulting
Vancouver, BC, Canada

54 years experience at some of Canada's Premier Broadcasting Stations
Mike Cleaver
Advanced Member

Re: Six more jobs cut at CTV Vancouver

Postby Tom Jeffries » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:37 pm

Global report says that CTV News LOST 19 Million in the last year.

All media is ongoing a sea change.
Tom Jeffries
Advanced Member

Postby GrumpyOldMan » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:13 pm

So, Bell-End media lost 19 million on its collective news properties. Solution, get rid of the day to day infantry that works on those productions, rather than the generals who allocate resources strategy and overall leadership?

The Marines have a mantra: Leaders are fully responsible for the actions of their subordinates. But that never translates into mega media.
GrumpyOldMan
Advanced Member

Postby Tom Jeffries » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:19 pm

Absolutely, spot on.

The PD told us to do this - and it sucked so...does he get canned? NO.

His/Her staff.

If you make a certain level of salary, you get gunned.

It was always thus.

You have been warned.

Media as a career choice right now? PASS.
Tom Jeffries
Advanced Member

Postby Howaboutthat » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:16 pm

Tom Jeffries wrote:Media as a career choice right now? PASS.

Tom Jeffries wrote:All media is ongoing a sea change.

Tom... we get it, from this and the dozens of other times you have posted the same thing. You hate what media has become. We get it. Please move on.
Houston, We're dealing with morons!.
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Postby WheresFredTaylor » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:30 pm

A guy in Toronto put out that layoffs were going on there today.
WheresFredTaylor
Advanced Member

Postby Mike Cleaver » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:38 pm

Victoria was hit as well.
The news about cuts across the country are starting to dribble in.
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Engineering, News, Voice work and Consulting
Vancouver, BC, Canada

54 years experience at some of Canada's Premier Broadcasting Stations
Mike Cleaver
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:42 pm

Here is what Broadcast Dialogue knew as of this morning:
Bell Media has undertaken another round of restructuring with cuts at both its radio and television properties across the country. Six positions were eliminated at CTV Vancouver alone, including an editor, cameraman, director, graphics and control room staff. Kevin Getz, evening and weekend announcer at 94.5 Virgin Radio (CFBT-FM) Vancouver, also Tweeted that his position had been eliminated. CTV Montreal executive producer Barry Wilson, who had been with the station for decades, was also laid off. Wilson’s duties will be assumed by news director Jed Kahane.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Doug » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:33 pm

I don't get how CTV would be losing money, given how many "top 10" programs (most U.S.) that they have plus all of the lauded "synergy" opportunities and all of the streamlining they've done over the years. :(

They should just axe their local morning news shows, likely very costly relative to the number of local viewers they bring in, and reinvest those dollars in to the the primetime and late night local newscasts. CTV Morning Live in Vancouver, is barely watchable, for instance, without Brent Schearer. :(

I'm not saying get rid of the local morning shows but I'd love to see the major TV networks leverage their radio division on-air talent and do what CBC Vancouver (rare praise from me for the CBC! ;)) with "The Early Edition": have a split-screen showing a camera feed, with a technician adjusting the specific camera feed as necessary, a scrolling news ticker, stock ticker and weather/traffic reports. That's really all they need and I'm sure they have a decent news reader with QM/FM that could do the job.

Cheers,
Doug
Doug
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:47 pm

A lot of people are in Radio by choice, not because they can't cut in TV. Some even joke that they "have a face for radio".

While shared Radio-TV morning shows sound good in theory, the ones I'm familiar with never worked out. The former CHUM-AM in Toronto still simulcasts a TV station, and it truly sucks, with a lot of "as you can see in this video" references.

Sticking a camera in a radio studio ends up with everyone losing. If a Newsman ignores the camera, the TV viewer feels very disconnected from the announcer. If the Newsman plays to the camera, the quality of his radio delivery generally suffers.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby paterson » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:35 pm

CTV has been making some strange moves. Here in Kitchener they dropped local sports 9 or 10 months ago and then turned around and added another hour of news in the evening a few months back. They did this in many secondary markets with layoffs and then expanded evening news to two hours and hired more reporters. The news expansion didn't happen at any of the CTV two stations in our area, only CTV.

In the east CTV doesn't have local morning shows like you have in the west. We are treated to Your Morning which runs in Ontario and Quebec on local CTV channels and CTV News Channel nationally. It isn't very good, cheap sets, hosts constantly trying to be witty and always talking over each other. Also the news readers feels she needs to give her opinion when reading stories. Sometimes I think I am watching a mid morning talk show like The View. I thought Canada AM was more professional. CBC Morning with Heather Hiscox is good, a little dry but at least consistent.

Actually CHUM AM dropped the CP24 simulcast back in 2011. They have been TSN 1050 for the last six years, a good attempt, some good hosts but far behind the FAN in ratings.
paterson
Advanced Member

Postby Doug » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:57 am

jon wrote:A lot of people are in Radio by choice, not because they can't cut in TV. Some even joke that they "have a face for radio".

While shared Radio-TV morning shows sound good in theory, the ones I'm familiar with never worked out. The former CHUM-AM in Toronto still simulcasts a TV station, and it truly sucks, with a lot of "as you can see in this video" references.

Sticking a camera in a radio studio ends up with everyone losing. If a Newsman ignores the camera, the TV viewer feels very disconnected from the announcer. If the Newsman plays to the camera, the quality of his radio delivery generally suffers.

Fair enough, that's why what I'm proposing is a strictly radio program on TV. On-screen infographics and news/stocks/sports tickers and an automated "video wheel" would provide the "enhancements" not seen on radio but the actual audio delivery would simply be a simulcast of radio (i.e., no references to video playing on TV). I agree that many, many radio personalities are even superior than TV personalities (i.e., Troy Scott being one that comes to mind, though, sadly, he works mostly "behind the scenes" now at Bell Media in Winnipeg). That's why I suggested the move to simulcast the news reading (i.e., any associated video could play without announcement by the radio news reader) as, I don't know about you, I like watching a single-camera shot of a news reader reading from a script without making eye contact with me. I just find listening to the news on the radio while staring at a blank wall to be far less appealing; hence why I'd like to have a "visual" of the news reader in studio. And, CBC Radio One's studios are more attractive than CBC Vancouver's. Rick Cluff is also a far better on-air talent than current (and likely) Andrew Chang replacement, Dan Burritt, in my view.

Cheers,
Doug
Doug
Advanced Member

Postby Richard Skelly » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:50 am

So Howaboutthat is tired of Tom Jeffries variations on the theme of bleak opportunities in conventional broadcast media.

Is everyone supposed to just lie down, without complaint, and accept this supposed new reality? Because as things stand, there's only going to be assorted uber-wealthy media executives left in corporate towers, wondering where their firms' audiences went after all the talented personalities are pink slipped.
Richard Skelly
Advanced Member

Postby the-real-deal » Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:16 am

I agree with howabouthat about Tom Jeffries and his incessant whining about the industry is annoying. The merging of radio and television and tv hosts forced to read the radio news, began in 2016, at CFRA Ottawa and, like a cancerous tumor, all of major market Canada has followed suite.

In a few years, the only credible radio news will come from large metropolises like New York City, London, England, Los Angeles, and cities over 10 million in population.

Only in large cities can you be assured of announcing with perfect English, proper diction, continuity, etc.

Major markets like Vancouver and Toronto have long been demoted to middle market. MIddle market news is mostly rural, small markets, now, where announcers cannot pronounce big words, name of athletes, names of crooked politicians, and or cannot line up the newscast, properly. But, IF they do, they will get fired at the first opportunity ! LOL :partyguy:
the-real-deal
Advanced Member

Postby Tom Jeffries » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:05 pm

I get the message.

Thanks for the fan mail, guys.

*I have no idea who you are.....
Tom Jeffries
Advanced Member

Next

Return to On the small screen