Can-Con 45 Of The Day - November 29

Can-Con 45 Of The Day - November 29

Postby radiofan » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:52 pm

Today's Can-Con 45 is from 1968 ... The Collectors and "Lydia Purple" ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-e_iwEx_4M

Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: Can-Con 45 Of The Day - November 29

Postby Tom Jeffries » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:03 pm

I can close my eyes, and I am 'back there' - and this song screams "West Coast".
Tom Jeffries
Advanced Member

Postby Richard Skelly » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:15 pm

Can't agree with you more, Tom.

By the way, perhaps a distant relative of yours was involved in Lydia Purple. Los Angeles percussionist Norm Jeffries worked that 1968 session. Don't know if group drummer Ross Turney also partcipated or was back in Vancouver for a family break. Either way, Howie Vickers, Bill Henderson, Claire Lawrence and Glenn Miller nailed their parts.

Lydia Purple was, unique for The Collectors, a cover version. Written by Don Dunn and Tony McCashen (who also penned Hitchcock Railway for Jose Feliciano and, later, Joe Cocker), the dreamy, madrigal-like creation was a perfect fit for The Collectors who needed an obvious single for their eponymous first album. Although Claire Lawrence is a good keyboardist, Larry Knechtel-- a future Bread mainstay--laid down the delicate harpsichord. Cellist Jesse Ehrlich rounded out the hired help assembled by producer Dave Hassinger for the session.

The Collectors themselves turned into session players during their lengthy soujourn in California. Hassinger conscripted the guys to lay down numerous instrumental tracks for the Electric Prunes who lacked the chops to finish a concept album to followup I Had Too Much To Dream.

Ever wondered what Lydia Purple looked like? Check out the cover of the band's first album. Drawn by Vancouver artist Bob Masse, it featured a small photo of the five Collectors bordered by a large depiction of a beautiful medieval maiden, her long blonde locks flowing around the band.
Richard Skelly
Advanced Member

Postby Neumann Sennheiser » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:54 am

In the video, recognized many landmarks of a city that is largely unrecognizable to me now.
Vancouver was already transitioning by 1968 but would look pretty much the same for maybe another ten years.
To some degree, I'm certain I am idealizing the memory, but it makes me sadly reflective on how perfect it seemed.
"You don't know man! I was in radio man! I've seen things you wouldn't believe!"
Neumann Sennheiser
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:23 am

I listened to the song when it came out, but, the next year, its memory got drowned out by The Irish Rovers' "Lily the Pink".

Which is about patent medicine pioneer Lydia Pinkham: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lydia_Pinkham
jon
Advanced Member

Return to Can-Con 45 Of The Day