Can-Con 45 Of The Day - December 2

Can-Con 45 Of The Day - December 2

Postby radiofan » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:54 pm

Today's Can-Con 45 is from 1965 ... an early one from Terry Jacks & The Chessmen ... "The Way You Fell" ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfyw068Y4ds

Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: Can-Con 45 Of The Day - December 2

Postby Richard Skelly » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:44 am

Fabulous song. I get verklempt every time I hear it.

If Terry Jacks had never recorded again, he could have been proud of this plaintive-yet-edgy single. Wonder if London Records in Canada leaned on their American counterparts to release it? Before long, Chessmen 45s bore the Mercury imprint. Wonder if Quincy Jones or Shelby Singleton played a role. Both ran Mercury’s A & R division in the mid 1960s.

Still a twerp, I ended up at my first rock concert around that time, chancing upon The Chessmen on the main stage at York House. My buddy’s sister attended the posh private school so we attended the annual fundraiser. Along with some cheap donated comics and pocketbooks, I left the event agog at the band’s confidence and use of electric accordion in lieu of keyboards.

Former Chessmen guitarist Guy Sobell chuckled when I spun the tale years later. By then, he’d partnered with Denise McCann and his production of her Tattoo Man would become a disco-club staple.

As for Terry Jacks, he returned to London Records which, this time, marketed two big hits for The Poppy Family (fronted by Terry’s then-wife, Susan).

Both Terry and Susan were gravely ill last year and I hope they are recovering.
Richard Skelly
Advanced Member

Postby Richard Skelly » Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:06 am

By the way, if you visit the You Tube clip for Lydia Purple, posted a few days ago, try sticking around for the rest of the Where It’s At segment that follow The Collectors. Lulu later intros a dreamy video performance of Beyond The Clouds by The Poppy Family. Terry’s first post-Chessmen original, and featuring a soaring-to-the-sky lead vocal by Susan, it remains my favourite Poppy Family release.

Again, all the best to Terry and Susan with their separate health challenges.
Richard Skelly
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:18 pm

"Beyond The Clouds" is also my favourite Poppy Family recording. Can still hear it being played on the Burnaby Central Senior High stage of the gym, and see, in my mind, Chuck Stake (JB Shane) and some of the other CKLG DJ's heading back to their vehicle(s) after.
jon
Advanced Member

Return to Can-Con 45 Of The Day