Coast to Coast going, going, gone from CKNW

Radio News from British Columbia

Coast to Coast going, going, gone from CKNW

Postby kal » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:14 am

The station is running The Shadow, The Abbott and Costello Show etc. A promo note refers to a new talk show to be launched in the near future.

Quite a few angry tweets about the loss of C2C.
kal
Advanced Member

Re: Coast to Coast going, going, gone from CKNW

Postby Richard Skelly » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:19 am

Hey, maybe they can dig up some of those old I Love A Mystery/Adventure shows that featured a then-whippersnapper called Tony Randall! With the transistor under my pillow, my adolescent self used to savour those “theatre of the mind” 40s programs that Jack Cullen presented on the Owl Prowl.

Speaking of Jack, whatever became of his collection of old syndicated dramas, bootlegs etc? Heard one account that he sold a hefty portion of his record collection to a Vancouver drummer.

Depending on what new graveyard programming Corus foists on NW, 980 could do a lot worse than repeating dramas, comedies and variety shows from radio’s glory days.
Richard Skelly
Advanced Member

Postby Sevareid » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:32 pm

We find out that the U.S. Pentagon has a huge UFO program and actual footage is released of UFO encounters by fighter pilots. It's got everyone talking, and the same day CKNW drops Coast to Coast. Great timing guys.
Sevareid

Postby PicturesForYourEars » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:01 pm

Oh NO!!!
A new overnight talk show?
Please don't tell me this means they'll be splitting up Steele and DREX.

...LEFT PLACES I SHOULDA STAYED,
STAYED PLACES I SHOULDA LEFT...
PicturesForYourEars
Advanced Member

Postby Richard Skelly » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:25 pm

Sevareid nailed it: Such impeccable timing from the black tower. CKNW snips the feed from C2C the very day media goes wild with the biggest UFO-investigation disclosure in years.

Here in Greater Victoria, I always pick up KIRO 97.3 better than even CFAX 1070. But I’ll miss NW due to its 7- to 10-day archive of all programs, including Coast to Coast. If another Vancouver station signs on (hello 1410), let’s hope they do likewise. If not, George Noory and Co. may see a spike in Vancouverites paying those “pennies a day” for buffet access to years of past shows.

For those who missed it, last night’s show couldn’t have had a better substitute host: George Knapp, UFOlogist extraordinaire and undisputed finest selector of nifty bumper music. Somewhere on the Web there must be a cached recording.

Knapp’s first two hours were devoted to the $22 million-plus investment in UFO research by the Bush and Obama administrations. One guest noted how actor Kurt Russell only belatedly learned that he was likely the first pilot to report mysterious lights above Phoenix. The so-called Phoenix Lights occurred almost exactly 20 years ago. It remains one of the biggest mass sightings and alleged coverups in North American history.

Kurt Russell flew his private plane in and out of Phoenix on family matters. He was long gone when Arizona media went into overdrive on the voluminous eyewitness accounts. Not surprisingly, national mainstream media laughed the story off or ignored it completely. Years later, Russell finally heard about the Phoenix Lights. Curious he checked the date, compared it to his flight logs and realized his call to controllers matched the time of the first call mentioned in subsequent government reports that were part of the whitewash.

Again, for those interested in disclosure, try and find a cached or archived recording of Knapp’s show. It’s a good one.
Richard Skelly
Advanced Member

Postby Jim Walters » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:39 pm

My one and only reason to listen to CKNW is now gone. Typical of the current culture at the black tower, end a show and don't have a replacement in place ready to go. Instead they take the cheap route and fill the former Cost To Coast time slot with old radio shows (with no host) and reruns of Adler and whatever.

I have heard from several sources at the TD tower that Coast was the highest rated show on NW, getting better numbers than any of their daytime offerings.

It will be very interesting to see what the programming gurus at Corus come up with as a replacement for C2C. They certainly don't have anybody in house in Vancouver that would be capable of hosting a national show as described in the job posting.

The only person that comes to mind who is qualified would be frequent C2C weekend fill-in host from Toronto, Richard Syrett.

When Corus does launch the new show, I guess CHED in Edmonton and QR 77 in Calgary will have to dump their long running old radio shows so they can run the new show live. I've always wondered what sense it makes to run a live show on a delayed basis. If you've ever listened to C2C, there has always been a good number of calls from BC, but seldom if ever any participation from Alberta.

As for C2C, I hope Bell adds the show to either 1410 or 1040 in Vancouver and runs it live.

This is just another nail in the coffin of the once might NW 98 (or should that be 980 CKNW).
Jim Walters
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:51 pm

Jim Walters wrote:As for C2C, I hope Bell adds the show to either 1410 or 1040 in Vancouver and runs it live.

As mentioned elsewhere, Roundhouse Radio will be running Coast to Coast beginning on Christmas Day:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=28560

I assume that precludes it being run on 1410 or 1040.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby tuned » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:59 pm

Bell is being nice to Roundhouse. I can't imagine they might have an ulterior motive?
tuned
Advanced Member

Postby Tom Jeffries » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:25 pm

No good turn goes unsold.
Tom Jeffries
Advanced Member

Postby Aaron » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:29 pm

tuned wrote:Bell is being nice to Roundhouse. I can't imagine they might have an ulterior motive?

Bell is Roundhouse's national rep
Aaron
Advanced Member

Postby tuned » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:30 pm

So Bell has already set the hook for when the inevitable sale happens.
tuned
Advanced Member

Return to British Columbia