CKNW strikes again

Radio News from British Columbia

CKNW strikes again

Postby Jim Walters » Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:59 pm

Listening to the NW 10PM news last night, I damn near drove off the road. Following traffic, came the NW Sports scoreboard. "The Minnesota Wild edged another team 3-2 in overtime".

Nothing like being prepared. It goes from bad to worse.

Also, has anyone else heard the afternoon traffic girl that mumbles her way through traffic reports and sponsor credits? I can't make out a word she says, it's just 30 seconds of noise.

Anyone remember the days when BCIT grads would go up country to learn their trade after graduating? To work at NW or anywhere in the big city was a dream that most never saw. Now, it seems to be an entitlement for making it through two years of schooling.
Jim Walters
Advanced Member

Re: CKNW strikes again

Postby Richard Skelly » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:45 pm

When listening to NW, grammar conscious drivers should follow Jim Morrison’s sage advice: Keep your eyes on the road, your hands upon the wheel. Otherwise, the delivery shortcomings of young ‘uns manning station mics are distracting.

Do these hires even come from BCIT or a similar training facility? Or does nepotism and a policy of hiring eager beavers off the street prevail?

Granted, the industry tries to survive in an age of cutbacks. But do credible broadcast school no longer emphasize how to deliver phrases “trippingly off the tongue? Where’s a Henry Higgins when you need one?
Richard Skelly
Advanced Member

Postby Just sayin' » Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:13 pm

Unfortunately, it comes down to money and management. No money, hire illiterate newbies. No management, no improvement. There are people who should not be in the biz and the aforementioned illustrate exactly that.
Just sayin'
Advanced Member

Postby kal » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:18 pm

A really difficult newscast to listen to just now on 'NW. Numerous mistakes, aside from a mid-word correction from CKNW (news) to Global (news).
kal
Advanced Member

Postby Just sayin' » Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:50 am

Since we're talking stumbling and mumbling, the Jack morning show is atrocious. One of the hosts slurs and sounds like he's had a few. Content is moronic as are the hosts.
Just sayin'
Advanced Member

Postby Jim Walters » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:57 am

Just sayin' wrote:Since we're talking stumbling and mumbling, the Jack morning show is atrocious. One of the hosts slurs and sounds like he's had a few. Content is moronic as are the hosts.

I have tried to listen to Paul & Kuss a few times and just shake my head and tune out again. There's nothing spontanious or entertaining about these guys. I'd almost think their "bits" are pre-recorded.
I hope Rogers wasn't stupid enough to give these guys a long term contract. Kiah and Tara Jean were very listenable and much more entertaining.

There might be a good reason Larry Hennessey is back in the building.
Jim Walters
Advanced Member

Postby Tom Jeffries » Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:59 pm

The Jack Morning showing is RECORDED, the day before.

*I have never heard of this being done.....Mornings?

Larry....STAT. *He's a really outstanding talent....and pure class.
Tom Jeffries
Advanced Member

Postby Aaron » Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:07 pm

Tom Jeffries wrote:The Jack Morning showing is RECORDED, the day before.

Holy Sh*t!
Aaron
Advanced Member

Postby kal » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:05 am

Major news broadcast this morning led off with "Good afternoon..."
kal
Advanced Member

Postby GrumpyOldMan » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:19 pm

Jim Walters wrote:
Just sayin' wrote:Since we're talking stumbling and mumbling, the Jack morning show is atrocious. One of the hosts slurs and sounds like he's had a few. Content is moronic as are the hosts.

I have tried to listen to Paul & Kuss a few times and just shake my head and tune out again. There's nothing spontanious or entertaining about these guys. I'd almost think their "bits" are pre-recorded.
I hope Rogers wasn't stupid enough to give these guys a long term contract. Kiah and Tara Jean were very listenable and much more entertaining.

There might be a good reason Larry Hennessey is back in the building.

Bringing Kuss and Darling into 2440 Ash seemed like some kind of short term pre-emotive thing that would lead to City TV roles after some kind of re-tooling. There’s no way of explaining it. Both great guys, but not radio guys. And particularly, morning radio guys. Paul Brown is a one trick pony...and that trick is usually the lowest hanging fruit. He might have had a good run in Edmonton, but that’s the kind of hire that gets a PD fired. Al Ford worked with Paul in Victoria...so you can understand the connection. But if Jack has another bad book...oh boy.
GrumpyOldMan
Advanced Member

Re: CKNW strikes again (lost identity)

Postby kal » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:33 pm

This evening, just ahead of the 6 pm Global News on TV, an ad ran for CKNW. That's not news, but the fact it ran as the CKNW News/Talk 980 brand surely is news.

Was this a long-ago booked ad that simply sat on the ad server, no one bothering to replace it with an ad with the new imaging?
kal
Advanced Member

Return to British Columbia