Can-Con 45 Of The Day - March 23

Can-Con 45 Of The Day - March 23

Postby radiofan » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:53 pm

Today's Can-Con 45 is from 1974 ... it's Terry Jacks and his version of "Rock & Roll (I Gave You The Best Years Of My Life)" ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvbLaeTqqcw

Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: Can-Con 45 Of The Day - March 23

Postby Richard Skelly » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:40 pm

After scaling the heights with Seasons In The Sun, Terry Jacks suffered diminishing returns seeking a followup. If You Go Away reached #68 on Billboard. Rock and Roll (I Gave You The Best Years Of My Life) had one week at #97.

Both Terry and Mac Davis released Rock and Roll versions days apart. Mac won out. I can see why the song was pitched to Terry. It was a story tune like Seasons In The Sun including—like the megahit—a reference to a love called “Suzanne.”

Looking back, I suspect Terry was a victim of executive changes at Bell Records, the big US indie that distributed songs he released in Canada on his own Goldfish label. Larry Uttal was Bell CEO when Terry pitched Seasons In The Sun. Shortly, however, Uttal was gone, replaced by legendary ex-Columbia Records czar Clive Davis. In my view, Terry was among the Bell artists lost in the shuffle as Davis immediately began plotting a name change to Arista Records and checking out new talent.

Terry Jacks continues to recover from a stroke.

Two years ago, an imposter purporting to be Terry Jacks was discovered in the US. In recent weeks, Terry’s Facebook account appears to have been hacked. His Facebook Administrator has warned page visitors to beware of anyone claiming to be Terry who reaches out offering money for accepting delivery of a briefcase full of money. The scam involves complications requiring the recipient to pay several hundred dollars to release the briefcase for a delivery that, of course, never happens.
Richard Skelly
Advanced Member

Return to Can-Con 45 Of The Day