Jesus Christ

Radio News from British Columbia

Jesus Christ

Postby PicturesForYourEars » Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:36 am

I, personally, while not of any religious leaning, do not think it is appropriate for a TALK SHOW HOST to say to a caller "JESUS CHRIST, SHUT UP AND LET ME TALK".

CKNW, 1:19 AM March 26th.

(I had heard the same host say 'shit' moments earlier).

Times ... they have changed????

Asking for a friend.

...LEFT PLACES I SHOULDA STAYED,
STAYED PLACES I SHOULDA LEFT...
PicturesForYourEars
Advanced Member

Re: Jesus Christ

Postby groundskeeper willy » Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:00 am

That's just Dreck trying to be edgy.

Now that they're two months or so into this grand adventure of 'The Shi(f)t', I thought I'd give the guy another go. The first two weeks were brutal, but honestly, that happens with anything new, it takes time to shake things out, so instead of just writing it off completely, I knew I'd have to resample a couple months down the road, to get a more realistic sense of what Dreck & the show are all about.

Two months haven't helped.

I don't know what's more off-putting. The narrow focus of topics, the lack of calls to an allegedly national phone-in talk show, the inability to talk succinctly up to the various break times (i.e., rolling upwards of two minutes of music at the :58 mark??), or Dreck's speech impediment and hyper-driven delivery style (which probably helps to feed into his ever-present stutter).

I'll try again in another two months, but I'm not holding out much hope that anything will have improved by then.
groundskeeper willy
Advanced Member

Postby Just sayin' » Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:13 am

That's what you get when you hire a small town, barely mediocre, totally uneducated rock jock as a wannabe talk show host. Don't blame him---his ambition preceded his skill. Blame the idiot who hired him.
Just sayin'
Advanced Member

Postby tuned » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:09 am

F bombs will be next. I agree with just sayin'. The responsibility for foisting a talentless hack on listeners lies 100% with management. Me thinks Drecks works cheap and mostly to satisfy an outsized ego.
tuned
Advanced Member

Postby radioman » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:52 am

There was a time when the use of any obscene, vulgar, or blasphemous language on air was strictly a no no. People got summarily fired for doing so. Talk show stations operated on a seven second delay and bleeped out callers using inappropriate language and usually just terminated the call.

People who can't articulate their thoughts verbally without using obscene, vulgar or blasphemous language are just exhibiting their lack of refinement in the use of the English language. Talk show hosts, in particular, should be able to artfully respond to callers in a way which shows their level of education and expertise in using the English language. What a delight it is to on occasion to hear a parliamentarian, for example, during Question Period utterly destroy an opposing member's argument with well-chosen words which contain not a hint of obscenity, vulgarity or blasphemy.

Just because Drex in on air late in the evening, early in the morning, gives no excuse for being "edgy" in his use of less than gentile language. The highest standards of broadcast should be adhered to 24 hours a day and that means no obscene, vulgar or blasphemous language ever--PERIOD.
radioman
Advanced Member

Postby Richard Skelly » Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:31 am

All the Drex critiques offered by above commenters are so spot on.

Unless Drex learns to chill out (a bit of Valium perhaps?) he will one day probably be best known as a quirky footnote in any biography of Christy Clark.

Once this talk gig ends (and it surely will) Drex may be able to catch on deejaying for a Corus station or other FM outlet in Vancouver. Or not.
Richard Skelly
Advanced Member

Postby Tom Jeffries » Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:55 pm

Swearing has no place on a professional Radio Station.
Tom Jeffries
Advanced Member

Postby freqfreak2 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:43 pm

Some time ago I offered a rather scathing (and somewhat meandering) first impression of the Drex experiment (you can read it here http://www.radiowest.ca/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=28741&start=15#p12849036).

In the immediate days after my post I felt kind of bad characterizing Drex as an "ill-informed immature ... talk-jock seemingly from a small-market station ... who has drunk way too much coffee and/or swallowed way too many Percocets before driving into the station's parking lot."

I was hoping an improvement in his show would allow me to offer an apology for this critique ... but that ain't happened yet.

Basically, the man is a bully.

The show has yet to cultivate a field of recurring and interesting guests and "experts." In that void, we instead hear clips from YouTube and newscasts (mostly Global), tagged occasionally with phoners with reporters.

And the belief that if you talk faster and louder and sound really obnoxious means you're really good or important or intelligent still seems to drive the show.

I have heard numerous variations of his "JESUS CHRIST, SHUT UP AND LET ME TALK" stunt. He seems to want to make it his "thing."

A few nights ago he badgered a caller, who initially offered rational and valid points, into answering a simple "Yes" or No" in response to a rather complex question he asked.

When the caller wouldn't comply, Drex cut her off and justified his action by expressing his frustration with "stupid callers" (a case of blaming the victim).

Uhhhhh ....

The caller wasn't a wacko: she simply didn't want to fall prey to Drex's gotcha game.

Last I knew anything about radio is that Rule No. 1 is "Respect your audience."

As a talk show host, you can beat up on politicians, corporate shills and other forms of authority.

But when you take on and embarrass your own listeners, it sends out a chill to anyone thinking of calling in (or even thinking of continuing to listen).

I could offer lots of advice here, like slow down, become less hostile, and offer your guests a platform, but the root problem is that Drex is under the mistaken impression that he has to be The Only Star Of The Show.

Unless you're a bona fide and unique and credible personality (such as a Jack Webster et al), talk show success comes from an ability to engage guests and callers and make them feel comfortable.

Long gone are the days of Joe Pyne (who would often tell callers to put their dentures in backwards so they could bite their own throats).

This is overnight radio we're talking about, a land of people working or suffering through the darkest of hours.

The last thing they need to hear is a Punch And Judy show, with a host continually smacking the face of everyone nearby (including his own).

End of rant.
freqfreak2
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:46 pm

Tom Jeffries wrote:Swearing has no place on a professional Radio Station.

NW is no longer a professional radio station and hasn't been for several years now.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:18 pm

Agree with Tom

But recently on my highly successful news website I quoted a victim after a designation of dangerous offender status - given to Ron Teneycke

The quote from victim : "He's a pathetic asshole" - I thought it was appropriate.
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby czarcasm » Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:10 pm

I have to agree with all the comments about Dreck's talk show skills and ability, along with the state of NW these days.

He appears to be an angry, nasty person who has no talent whatsoever. And as someone pointed out, he's a bully.

I recall when he started the talk show portion of his resume, he envisioned himself as the new Jack Webster, Rafe Mair, Pat Burns etc in an article in the New Westminster Record. That certainly hasn't come to pass after four years of stammering and stuttering. After listening to the shit and Charles Adler a few times, I'd say the programming whiz at NW is a complete and utter idiot if he truly believes either of these shows are really worthy of being offered as national let alone local airtime.

I have friends at several Corus stations and they are horrified at the shit they are forced to run on their stations all in the name of saving a few bucks.

Radio appears to be on it's last legs folks. Remember the good times, they'll never be back as long as pinhead accountants are calling the shots.
czarcasm
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:22 pm

I no longer have any reason to tune into CKNW where I can't even get local news, weather or traffic after 6PM.

The second rate on-air product along with the muddy signal is also a good reason to not tune in
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Return to British Columbia