Roundhouse toast - May 6

Radio News from British Columbia

Roundhouse toast - May 6

Postby PicturesForYourEars » Fri May 04, 2018 4:34 pm

ROUNDHOUSE MEDIA RELEASE::

This media release serves to confirm that CIRH FM has received an offer from a company to take over operations of the station.

No transfer of operations can be made without CRTC approval so effective May 6th, 2018 at 6 PM PST, Roundhouse Radio will cease broadcasting. Further updates will be made by the purchaser when information is available.
...LEFT PLACES I SHOULDA STAYED,
STAYED PLACES I SHOULDA LEFT...
PicturesForYourEars
Advanced Member

Re: Roundhouse toast - May 6

Postby PicturesForYourEars » Fri May 04, 2018 6:38 pm

Fine effort...
Hopefully they don't stay dark too long
...LEFT PLACES I SHOULDA STAYED,
STAYED PLACES I SHOULDA LEFT...
PicturesForYourEars
Advanced Member

Postby Howaboutthat » Fri May 04, 2018 9:01 pm

Insert cricket sounds for does anyone care.
Houston, We're dealing with morons!.
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Postby GrumpyOldMan » Fri May 04, 2018 9:39 pm

We all should care. It would be great to see a local FM low power radio station that’s on its knees, somehow rise from the ashes and become viable.

The good news for any potential investors is that the slate has pretty much been wiped clean. As much as everyone loves Don, he was the wrong guy to guide this, and the other executives were equally as responsible (Jennifer Smith etc). Times have changed, and the stewards of this project hadn’t changed with them.

I don’t know what you’d change the format to, but it probably needs to be a music station to cut overhead, and the focus would have to be hyper local.
GrumpyOldMan
Advanced Member

Postby the-real-deal » Sat May 05, 2018 2:01 am

Was listening to the station, on line, for the first time. The sound quality is very good ! Heard the tail end of the Manny Bazukis Show, the host skimming over newspaper headlines and talking about the Kentucky Derby and his favorite horse. LOL Bazukis was interesting and also, sounds very good. They should keep him !

Then, I heard some gal (name not known) read the live news and sports. She is adequate, I suppose, but not great. However, no mention of the Toronto Blue Jays scores, or former Blue Jays superstar Jose Bautista being called up by the Atlanta Braves, Friday (Bautista blasted a double off the wall in centerfield, his first time up, as an Atlanta Brave 3rd baseman, also Friday). That was a BIG story in the world of baseball, missed by the Roundhouse Radio news desk. Atlanta GM Alex Anthropolis is taking a BIG gamble, displacing a .300 plus hitter at 3rd base with Bautista, a popular, but aging superstar.

Next, I heard former sportscaster Jody Vance interview some gal weighing in on the Trans-Mountain pipeline debaucle. Jody seemed bored ? Suggestion: Hey Jody, how would you like to work in sports, interviewing some sports guests and or breaking stories, in addition to breaking news?

Also, no mention of the International World Hockey Championships and Canada's game against USA. That's pretty lame.

Therefore, I would rate the RH Radio morning news as a disappointment, as they inadequately serve the sports community with breaking sports.

They need to hire a sports director in their next incarnation, perhaps Steve Darling can work part-time (or bring back Dan Russell or Brooke Ward from the grave) ! LOL

I would also give Jody a sports talk show and see what happens ! The bottom line is that Roundhouse Radio cannot continue in its current form. Either make it MUCH more dramatic, or yes, shut it down. And, do increase the power.
the-real-deal
Advanced Member

Postby cart_machine » Sat May 05, 2018 2:08 am

Howaboutthat wrote:Insert cricket sounds for does anyone care.

Well, the Indian Premier League season is underway.

cArtie.
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Postby the-real-deal » Sat May 05, 2018 2:29 am

cart_machine wrote:
Howaboutthat wrote:Insert cricket sounds for does anyone care.

Well, the Indian Premier League season is underway.

cArtie.

HA HA HA ! Good one !

The last time that I heard cricket scores mentioned on the Vancouver airwaves was during a J. Paul McConnell sportscast on 'NW, effing years ago !

I guarantee that J.P. was the last of the mohicans in that regard ....
the-real-deal
Advanced Member

Postby BossRadio » Wed May 09, 2018 6:04 pm

Cricket results? Ha! Just this week,I was re-calling how CKNW's 1960s weekend noon-hour sports slot often included (what to me sounded like) dozens of English Football scores. Wasn't long after I was in the biz, that I realized those made great filler on a dead sports/empty commercial log day. :sign7:
Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum, minutus carborata descendum pantorum
BossRadio
Advanced Member

Location: the outskirts of the edge of the fringe of the centre of the universe

Return to British Columbia