Fresh is Out; The 'Chuck is In at 92.5 Edmonton

Radio news from Alberta

Fresh is Out; The 'Chuck is In at 92.5 Edmonton

Postby jon » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:17 am

80s, 90s, Everything. 92.5 The 'Chuck is the new branding of Corus' formerly Fresh Radio in Edmonton. A shortened form of a nickname for the City: "Edmonchuk".

http://925thechuck.ca/

jon
Advanced Member

Re: Fresh is Out; The 'Chuck is In at 92.5 Edmonton

Postby radiofan » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:32 am

Corus Press Release ...

August 3, 2018

WHAT THE ‘CHUCK? CORUS RADIO INTRODUCES
UNIQUELY-EDMONTON STATION: 92.5 THE ‘CHUCK

EDMONTON, Canada – Buff up the Talus balls and grab a green onion cake. Corus Radio is bringing a new feel to the Edmonton airwaves today with the launch of 92.5 The ‘Chuck. Rebranded from Fresh Radio, The ‘Chuck is giving listeners more music variety full of hits and surprises, interspersed with irreverent slices of this city that we love.

“If you live in Edmonton, you’ll get it. We saw an opportunity in the market to introduce an unconventional and original sound,” says Greg Johnson, FM Program Director, Corus Radio Edmonton. “Edmontonians are proud of their city and this station embodies that passion.”

92.5 The ‘Chuck will keep the city entertained on shuffle with an exciting, unpredictable mix of pop rock and variety from the 80s through today. In between the hits, The ‘Chuck’s distinctly local personality will keep things topical with less chatter than any other station in the market.

Join The ‘Chuck Crew out and about this weekend, starting this afternoon in Old Strathcona where they’re dodging potholes and blasting the hits aboard an Urban Pedal Tour team bike. Then on Saturday at the Heritage Festival, The ‘Chuck is inviting Edmontonians to break bread at the city’s largest communal table. Measuring 70 feet in length, take a seat near the main entrance of Hawrelak Park to learn about the brand, check out the local art on the table and enter to win $500 to Skip the Dishes.

Tune in to 92.5 The ‘Chuck, or listen live online at 925thechuck.ca

https://www.corusent.com/news/what-the- ... the-chuck/
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby Rocky » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:33 am

And the changes just keep on comin'. How many times can you polish a turd and still get the same results?

Maybe the brain trusts at Corus should have stuck with Power 92 or JOE. At least those incarnations got ratings and made some money.

Maybe some heads will finally roll after this idiotic change. Hard to believe that in a city where the CFL team is being pressured to change it's name because it might offend Eskimos, a radio station, owned and run by a national publicly traded company would dredge up a no longer acceptable slang name for the large Ukrainian population of the area and use that name as the new branding for one of it's stations.

At one time Edmonton was known as Edmonchuck or Chuckville, but that was many decades ago. This is 2018. Give your heads a shake Corus.
Rocky
Advanced Member

Postby radioman » Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:06 pm

If you look up the definition of the word "chuck" in any dictionary, be it straight or slang, the various uses of the word always refer to something either to be discarded (chuck it out) or something undesirable (a chuckhole in the road, for instance) or something of poorer quality (chuck steak, for example). There are lots of uses of the word "chuck" in various contexts, but they usually are not in the context of anything desirable.

So what Corus is trying to achieve by branding a radio station as "The Chuck" is a mystery. Maybe they're getting ready to really "chuck the whole endeavour" and let the frequency go black.

And really, isn't this whole trend of putting a name on a radio station, be it the Beach, the Ocean, The Wolf, The Whatever, rather silly. Why not just stick with the call letters and really promote that as the brand?
radioman
Advanced Member

Postby tuned » Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:18 pm

Uh people refer to Edmonton as "the chuck" or "Edmonchuck" so they are trying to brand a cookie cutter station run out of Toronto as "local". Smoke and mirrors.
No mention of local personalities in the press release. Just trying to shine up Corus for potential buyers. radioman you left out the best version of chuck....as in upchuck.
tuned
Advanced Member

Postby WheresFredTaylor » Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:37 pm

Poor man's Now Radio it sounds like.
WheresFredTaylor
Advanced Member

Postby pave » Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:31 pm

Radio - where all the Big Marketing Minds gravitate.
pave
Advanced Member

Postby Enterprise » Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:01 am

Today's radio is pathetically non-entertaining. In Edmonton (like everywhere else), every classic rock/hits station plays the same 500 songs over and over. One day while driving from work I was flicking through the dial and heard the same song on three different stations at the same time. Overplayed music from John Mellancamp, Steve Miller, Loverboy, etc has had its day. It's time to cut away from the herd and play the other 99% from the same decades that listeners never hear. Seriously, it's like eating Kraft Dinner every day. I became so sick of listening to the same music over and over, I purchased a device that feeds thousands of songs from my iPod through my car radio. However, I like the sound of the new 92.5. It contains some music that I haven't heard in a while with better sounding new stuff. It's a refreshing mix!
Enterprise

Postby pave » Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:40 am

It really is quite astounding that so many listeners are willing to forgive radio for its many foibles and faults.
A desire for listeners to have a local station on which they can depend and support is almost palpable.
Radio, however, neither understands or appreciates the phenomenon and continues to reject their audiences - while insulting them.
At some point "no" is going to mean "NO"!
Audiences will, indeed, continue to lose their love affair with local radio.
pave
Advanced Member

Postby Jonty30 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:12 am

I guess Chuck offers a better selection than Fresh did. I guess the budget is bigger when you have fired all the DJ's.
Jonty30

Postby jon » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:17 am

Jonty30 wrote:fired all the DJ's.

A few years back, when Sirius/XM switched 50s on 5 to "jockless", I was surprised how many positive comments their social media announcement got. Some listeners, even of 1950s music, want non-stop music, and don't differentiate between commercials and DJs: they are both unwanted interruptions.

Sad.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Baxter » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:43 pm

Another typical, wash, rinse and repeat. This is a business and no one cares about the entertainment factor. All the radio people are out of the business and its run by bean counters and yes people. What would ever possess a sane person to think these regurgitated formats have a chance? Stale date on most radio these days. Like Seinfeld re-runs, I would take Casey Kasem any day of the week over what is upCHUCKING!
Baxter

Return to Alberta