CBC Bans Xmas song

General Radio News and Comments, Satellite & Internet Radio and LPFM

CBC Bans Xmas song

Postby Shawndx » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:09 am

The CBC has banned a Christmas song along with other stations in Canada and the USA.

"That comes as the duet, written back in 1944, faces renewed scrutiny over what some say are inappropriate lyrics in the wake of the #MeToo movement."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainment/c ... -1.4931867
Shawn Axelrod VE4DX1SMA
Winnipeg MB
amandx (@)mymts.net
REMEMBER ON A CLEAR DAY YOU CAN HEAR FOREVER
Shawndx
Advanced Member

Re: CBC Bans Xmas song

Postby pave » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:28 am

Good thing I wasn't eating when I read this.
Maybe we could have a big, old fashioned plebiscite on the matter.
Jump in anytime, Justin.
Meanwhile, as the CBC would have us believe: "We stand on guard for thee".
I sleep much better knowing that.
pave
Advanced Member

Postby tuned » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:59 am

Was there any doubt the CBC would jump on the latest SJW bandwagon? Inappropriate lyrics? They better ban a large part of the hip hop canon.
I suggest that Hollywood start digging through it's back catalogue of films with particular attention to anything "rat pack" from the 60s. The #metoo movement will want those films burned. BLM shouldn't be left out of the action so they can focus their attention on getting all afrocentric films made during the 70s banished. I suggest they start with the 1976 aptly titled classic, "The Monkey Hustle". For those not familiar with the film it's about african americans hustling for a buck. There is so much to ban from the past that might offend someone in the present that the CBC and the corporate broadcasters have their work cut out for them.
tuned
Advanced Member

Postby mccrady » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:43 pm

I can't wait for some PC programmer to pull the plug on "I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus"
mccrady
Advanced Member

Postby Howaboutthat » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:17 pm

And don't forget He sees you when you're sleeping, he knows when you're awake.
Definitely a stalker! :violent1:
Houston, We're dealing with morons!.
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Postby Talker » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:00 pm

How juvenile!
Talker
Advanced Member

Postby paterson » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:06 am

CBC has decided that they will in fact play Baby It's Cold outside on radio and music services over the Christmas season. CBC News Network reported that the ban on the song has been cancelled as of today. Bell and Rogers over to you.
paterson
Advanced Member

Postby Howaboutthat » Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:13 pm

How many Bell & Rogers stations would actually play that song?
Houston, We're dealing with morons!.
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Postby paterson » Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:46 pm

Probably a fair number. Both Rogers and Bell have stations that play all Christmas music through December, and others that include holiday music in regular playlists.
Rogers has 52 stations and Bell 109, so even if a third of these stations played Christmas/holiday music at all could be a reasonably large number.

CBC says it will play the song again on their Christmas playlist because of audience input which overwhelmingly felt Baby It's Cold Outside should be played on radio and streaming service.
paterson
Advanced Member

Postby bigbry » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:54 pm

I have to say that after 20 some odd years in radio, I've had to play a ton of Christmas music. I have never run into a playlist that included that song as a "Christmas" song. Actually I've never run across a playlist that play that song anytime.
bigbry
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:19 pm

bigbry brings up an interesting point about how Christmas playlists changed, especially this century. Bill Reiter's Christmas Show from 2001 includes a ton of Christmas music that no one was airing at the time. Yet, 10 years later, I was hearing some of the songs played as background music in Walmart. That how far things had come in that 10 year period.

Specifically, "Merry Christmas, Baby" by Johnny Moore's Three Blazes (Charles Brown on vocal). But even "Run Rudolf Run" (1958) by Chuck Berry was not a song I ever heard played at Christmas on Top 40 stations in the '60s and '70s.
jon
Advanced Member

Return to General Radio News