Evening Breeze Coming to Vancouver,Edmonton and Halifax

General Radio News and Comments, Satellite & Internet Radio and LPFM

Evening Breeze Coming to Vancouver,Edmonton and Halifax

Postby paterson » Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:33 pm

Stingray Media has announced a new evening program for it's three Breeze stations across Canada. The Evening Breeze will run weekdays local time from 7pm to midnight in Edmonton and Halifax. The show will run in Vancouver from 7 to 9pm, CHLG-FM will then continue with smooth jazz programming 9pm until midnight.

The Evening Breeze will originate in Toronto and 97.3 BOOM FM's Stacey Thompson will host. Feel good stories will be featured, requests and dedications are welcome via text and the web, and listeners could be called back for audio interaction.

The Breeze format has met with some success in San Francisco, Philadelphia and Detroit. In Canada the Breeze imaging was introduced on Boxing Day in Vancouver and Edmonton so a little early to tell what impact the softer A/C sound will have here. Steve Jones, Stingray's SVP for brands, content and radio says the format is a long term build. So far ratings in Vancouver and Edmonton have more or less been flat from the previous formats. Edmonton did see a bump in the last ratings period which was due to Christmas music. Jones says after Christmas, ratings have been similar to the previous classic rock format for Capital FM CKRA.
paterson
Advanced Member

Re: Evening Breeze Coming to Vancouver,Edmonton and Halifax

Postby jon » Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:51 pm

Sounds like a viable Canadian-made alternative to John Tesh.

I was never a big fan of his show, but lost all interest when he made it "music-independent". His original show was closely tied to the music in it, but he wanted to widen his appeal by letting stations play anything they wanted, with his voice tracks completely unrelated to the music.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby pave » Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:08 am

Exactly the kind of programming - "companionship" - for which locals claim to yearn, and to which they respond best.
Must be a Talent-savings stuck in the core of that mix.
However and to be fair: Maybe Stacey can deliver a sense of that.
I suppose any T.O references will have to be eliminated, even if a tornado is ripping up Yonge Street.
pave
Advanced Member

Postby Aaron » Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:14 am

The show isn't running in Toronto in the first place.
Aaron
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:00 pm

Aaron wrote:The show isn't running in Toronto in the first place.

I suspect that that is pave's point: it is hard for Toronto announcers to avoid saying things that don't "make sense" outside of Toronto. Like the Toronto-created imaging we had in Edmonton that talked about "parkways", a term not used here.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Aaron » Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:02 pm

She's become pretty good at it. She doesn't actually have a regular daytime shift in Toronto; she's a full-time voice-tracker.
Aaron
Advanced Member

Postby pave » Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:39 pm

"Full time voice-tracker."
Is that a job description or a sentence.
"Here's the choice, Mizz Stacey," sayeth the judge. "You can voice-track - alone in a darkened room - or spend 2 years less a day at The Kingston Pen. Choose wisely."
pave
Advanced Member

Postby Aaron » Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:43 pm

Either way, two people at Stingray Toronto have that gig, such as it is.

You can't hit a medium or small market Stingray station without running into Leah Miller on Middays or evenings. She doesn't even have a shift in in the building she VTs from.
Aaron
Advanced Member

Postby freqfreak2 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:40 pm

I just got my hot-off-the-press 2019 CRTC-approved Canadian Radio Dictionary and guess what?

I can't find the term "live and local" anywhere inside it.

What has this industry become ... aural wallpaper.

Sad.
freqfreak2
Advanced Member

Postby pave » Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:43 am

While I get freqfreak2's point, radio, I submit, has gone past the "aural wallpaper" phase and has entered into the "institutional green paint" mode. :)
pave
Advanced Member

Return to General Radio News