CRTC Wants Feedback on CBC

General Radio News and Comments, Satellite & Internet Radio and LPFM

CRTC Wants Feedback on CBC

Postby jon » Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:20 am

Canadians are invited to share their views on CBC’s programming

The CRTC is launching a public consultation on the renewal of its broadcasting licences

November 25, 2019 – Ottawa-Gatineau – Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC)

The CRTC is seeking Canadians’ opinions on the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation and Société Radio-Canada’s programming.

As part of the CBC/Radio-Canada licence renewal process, the CRTC wants to hear from Canadians across the country to ensure that the content produced and distributed by the public broadcaster reflects the diversity of Canada’s population, while meeting its needs in both official languages.

Given changes in the models for the production and distribution of content, the Commission is inviting Canadians to review how CBC/Radio-Canada content is made available to them on various platforms. They will also have an opportunity to share their opinion on how content relates to the following themes: reflection, production, accessibility and discoverability, and contribution to democratic life in Canada.

To encourage the participation of Canadians, the CRTC will be hosting a Facebook consultation until December 9.

Canadians can also submit their comments by February 13 using one of the following methods:
• filling out the online form
• writing to the Secretary General, CRTC, Ottawa, Ontario K1A ON2 or
• sending a fax to 819-994-0218.

Quotes

“CBC/Radio-Canada plays an important role in the lives of Canadians. As Canada’s national public broadcaster, its main objective is to provide programming that is designed to inform, enlighten and entertain. As part of our consultation, we want to hear the opinions of Canadians so that they are reflected in CBC/Radio-Canada’s programming.”

Ian Scott, Chairperson and Chief Executive Officer, CRTC

Quick facts

• CBC/Radio-Canada’s mandate is to provide predominantly Canadian programming that informs, enlightens and entertains, and reflects Canada’s various geographic, cultural and linguistic realities and identities.
• CBC/Radio-Canada’s current radio and television licences will expire on August 31, 2020.
• As part of its review, the CRTC will hold a public hearing in the National Capital Region beginning on May 25, 2020.
jon
Advanced Member

Re: CRTC Wants Feedback on CBC

Postby talker2002@gmail.com » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:09 am

"CBC/Radio-Canada’s mandate is to provide predominantly Canadian programming that informs, enlightens and entertains, and reflects Canada’s various geographic, cultural and linguistic realities and identities."

To that end, more emphasis should be placed on local programming in each region. Far too many of its programs originate from or talk about items in Ontario. Apart from Federal Government stories individual items should be about and originate from a local or near-local broadcast centre.
talker2002@gmail.com
Advanced Member

Postby beddows » Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:24 pm

A vital link for me. I live in Mexico most of the year. I'd be lost without it on Sirius
Caravanas de Mexico RV Caravan co-ordinator
http://www.mexicorvcaravan.com
Radio history: CJSF, CFBV
beddows
Advanced Member

Postby paterson » Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:27 pm

talker2002@gmail.com wrote:"CBC/Radio-Canada’s mandate is to provide predominantly Canadian programming that informs, enlightens and entertains, and reflects Canada’s various geographic, cultural and linguistic realities and identities."

To that end, more emphasis should be placed on local programming in each region. Far too many of its programs originate from or talk about items in Ontario. Apart from Federal Government stories individual items should be about and originate from a local or near-local broadcast centre.

Even though as Canadians we tend to navel gaze far too much, I think this is a good idea to review CBC radio and TV programming. Also I agree that news programming should be more local than it is. Sometimes when I watch CBC News Network and especially CTV News Channel, I notice an over abundance of stories regarding Ontario and Quebec. I often think when I am seeing something that only concerns the east why anyone in western Canada would find this interesting, since it is not a national story.

Anyway, a review is good, and I hope it is not only the elitist snobs that want CBC radio to program opera and classical music all day to take part. As I have mentioned before CBC TV and radio could use a few more mainstream general interest shows that more average Canadians would relate to.
paterson
Advanced Member

Postby ThisIsNotCBC » Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:38 pm

The CRTC wants my opinion on the CBC, I'll give it to them - privatize it. Privatize CBC Television, hand over Ici Radio-Canada Télé to private company Quebecor and let them merge it with TVA, then spin off CBC's radio operations into a listener-supported non-profit (which would have to be renamed should CBC Television keep the CBC name) just like NPR is. Ottawa would then be out of the broadcasting business and taxpayers then won't have to involuntarily support the left-wing/SJW propaganda currently being spewed by our state broadcaster.
ThisIsNotCBC
Advanced Member

Return to General Radio News