Your most embarrassing moments in Radio

General Radio News and Comments, Satellite & Internet Radio and LPFM

Your most embarrassing moments in Radio

Postby bigbry » Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:57 pm

I think we all have to come clean after all these years...ha ha
I'll start...one of my worst moments was with the Late Charlie Daniels...My first big interview at my new station, so you know I wanted to make a good impression and this happened...
Many years ago Charlie was kind enough to come into the radio studio for an interview. I was pretty nervous and star struck. Then I started the interview and said…live on the air… “Tell us about The Devil went down ON Georgia” So super embarrassing. We had a good laugh and he gave me tickets to the show and after he showed me his new bus and had many drinks. Gonna miss ya buddy!
bigbry
Advanced Member

Re: Your most embarrassing moments in Radio

Postby jon » Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:44 pm

Discovering that Potpourri was the same word that I'd only heard pronounced (poe-purr-ee) but never seen written. It was in a script that I read 5 nights a week just after the 7pm News in my first announcing job.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby freqfreak2 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:51 pm

My first professionally critiqued air check many many years ago.

For decades I suffered through the hurt ... until I heard Drex and thought, "I must have had the wrong PD."
freqfreak2
Advanced Member

Postby Tom Jeffries » Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:30 pm

I was doing a special called "Storm Watch" on CKNW, after a huge storm. The second night - I was on live = 6 hours. 10 years ago.
There was NO STORM, NOTHING.
No calls. I am dying.
Finally a call.
"CKNW - thanks for the call - where are you calling from? " Said I, brilliantly.
A creaky ladies voice - "Honey in am in the bathroom on the toilet and can't see outside".
I nearly died laughing. My Op, I think it was Phil Isabella (my man) fell off his chair.
Tom Jeffries
Advanced Member

Postby talker2002@gmail.com » Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:59 am

Back in the mid-60's we were still reading 'live' copy on air. In this case, it was a tag to a produced spot for a local movie palace. I played the carted spot and read, "Get in fast. Starting Friday night at the Princess Theatre", etc. It was only when the copywriter entered the control shortly thereafter to inform me, in the nicest possible way that, "Get in fast", was a direction to the announcer to start reading the next line so the b.g. music would still be running in the background.
talker2002@gmail.com
Advanced Member

Postby Neumann Sennheiser » Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:29 pm

Similar to the legendary, decades old tale of the easy listening FM staff announcer who dutifully read his accompanying script as:
“...and now, music for your evening from CHQM’s Candlelight and Wine...music up, and out”.
"You don't know man! I was in radio man! I've seen things you wouldn't believe!"
Neumann Sennheiser
Advanced Member

Postby Michael Easton » Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:18 pm

The year was 1969 while working at CJVI 900am in Victoria. It was a Friday night, and I was doing the all night show. Just after I had read the 1am newscast, I noticed I was out of my cigarettes, yes we actually smoked everywhere, including master control. I had another deck of Players filter in my car which was parked in front of the radio station at 817 Fort Street, so I put a block in the door so I could get back in the station, and as I was making my way to my 65 gold Mustang, I heard the door behind me CLICK. My keys were in a pocket in the announcers room. Fortunately the then Chicken Delight, a few doors down was just closing up, so I explained my problem, and they let me use their phone to call? First on my list was the guy who hired me, Joe Easingwood, but Joe no answer phone.. the last person I wanted to phone was the PD Ron Robinson.. my next call went out to our News Director at the time Lorne Cunningham, but he was nowhere to be found... I decided to call the General Manager Ken Goddard, a man who was a friend and good drinking buddy, but now answer... Running out of time because it was a 45 RPM that was running and now into the ditch. So, I humbled myself and called PD Ron Robinson, who said he was on his way down. Ron played it to hilt, screaming his car up in front of the days, running out of his car, in no less his dressing gown, lol... I laugh about that to this day. anyhow, Ron opened the door for me and up the stairs I ran. I was totally ashamed of myself, that I quickly put on another record, not saying a word, until Ron, when he got home phoned me and said, at least come back with the station name and addy... Needless to say, I was totally embarrassed

Ron fired me in 1972 under the orders of the late John Ansell, something he doesn't remember, and I believe him. Many of us were let go by Ansell because the station was switching to Country Music...I understand, we didn't all fit the new format

In later life I had the opportunity to hire Ron as one of my Vehicle Delivery Drivers for VDS. I always joked that I hired Ron to Fire him
Michael Easton

Return to General Radio News