Bet the farm on a Harper majority

Postby tuned » Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:04 pm

When one of Canada's wealthiest couples decides it's time to abandon the Liberal ship and jump onto the S.S. Harper you know a Conservative majority is a sure thing. Gerry Schwartz got to be one of the wealthiest men in Canada by milking his Liberal connections for all they were worth so for him to publicly burn his bridges with the Liberal Party of Canada means he is convinced they have zero chance to regain power.
Their switch of allegiance has nothing to do with "Harpers support for Israel" but the almighty dollar. Another recent convert to the Conservatives is film producer Robert Lantos who milked successive Liberal governments for millions of tax dollars to make his bad movies. Their ilk has a finely tuned sense of sniffing out a potential gravy train and right now the Liberals are all tapped out. If they somehow miscalculated and the Libs get back in you can bet the farm that Gerry and Co will repent so that they can get their snouts back in the trough.
tuned
Advanced Member

Postby Dan Sys » Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:15 pm

Sorry Tuned, but I beg to differ. This existing excuse for a government highlighted by Whackos & born-again Christians will not win a majorty in the next election. Not a chance! Canadians will wake up and realize the idiots who represent us now are not worthy in the least of ways to hold any form of power whatsoever. As far as I'm concerned Harper and his "team of idiots" should be on the front lines in Afghanistan instead of every day average Canadians (who have been sucked in and killed by his bullshit) suffering the deadly consequences. The Conservative government is totally out to lunch, and they will set Canada back by decades in the overall scheme of things.

Who gives a rats ass about what happens in the Middle East? These guys have been fighting amongst themselves for thousands of years. Why should innocent Canadians lose there lives over crap like this? Harper should be charged with contributing to war crimes as far as I'm concened. Total idiot!
Dan Sys
Advanced Member

Postby johnsykes » Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:31 pm

Hate to agree with you Dan.....who in hell can the Liberals, with a straight face, put forth to go against Harper. Dammit, we had the Libs for how long with Chretien and his pickpockets....you actually want that gang back?????

I'm sticking with the Tories......right to a majority next time. Have the Liberals actually offered you something like.....well, the Tories are doing it all wrong, we would do this?

No I don't think so. And the CCF, oh sorry, the NDP, don't offer much either....they love to open the bank, knowing damned well they would never get elected.
johnsykes
Advanced Member

Postby Dan Sys » Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:10 am

I have a lot of respect for you John.....cause you're an old guy (like I almost am), but I fail to understand your logic. Sure the Liberals were corrupt (as I recall the Mulroney Conservative government before them was just as corrupt.....if not worse). But at least the Liberals seem to represent Canada as a whole very fairly. This existing Conservative government highlighted (as I stated earlier) by Whackos and born-again Christians has a philosophy that only represents the beliefs of a small segment of Canadians. If this government were to gain a majority it would create absolute chaos in our society. As far as I'm concerned these people really are dangerous.....and I've been following politics fairly closely for 40 some odd years now.
Dan Sys
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:48 am

Well so far I have been intelligent enough to stay out of a fight I cannot win.

Politics - something that I was passionate about in 1968 bears no interest for me
on the federal level. We really don't and can't control it. In my riding if the government is PC we vote NDP - if its Liberal we vote PC - you figure it out.

Here at home in BC or in your local burg - if you have something to say, politicians will listen and many times respond. The closer a government is to its people the better it is.

The federal government is a giant sucking sound of income tax, gst etc etc to finance the cash cow....central Canada with the power and influence in Montreal Toronto. We have a neat flag, a shitty army, a court system that is not harsh on criminals and many other things that just don't make sense like gun control for nice people and no control for the crooks.

You can have the bias of the day - Mulroney, Chretien, Trudeau, Clark, Campbell, Turner. In the end only one stands up as a generational leader - one that will be plauded
for decades and generations... the other's are crooks, tards and wannabees.

Oh Canada!
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:28 am

First, I have never voted Liberal or even thought of voting Liberal, federally, provincially or civicly. About 20 years ago, I attended a seminar by a Canadian writer that I had long respected. He summed up what bothered me about the Liberals previously, and which I have gone back to whenever I thought about them since. He didn't particularly dislike them, but just stated it as a matter of fact.

Liberals buy Canadian votes with "their own money" by spending tax money on whatever programs will get them re-elected.

But, the real eye opener was a half hour bio of Sir Wilfred Laurier (PM at the turn of the previous century) I saw this week on the Canadian Biography TV channel, hosted by Holly Doan. The statement was made that Sir Wilfred created the Liberal Machine that still keeps winning federal elections today. It is always running, even during those "short hiatuses" when the Liberals are not in power.

The program made a much bigger point of the fact that Sir Wilfred was the first French-Canadian, the first Quebec resident, and the first Catholic to be PM. That Liberal Machine he built paved the way for most of the Quebec PM's that followed (e.g. - not Mulroney).

The domination of ex-Reform'ers in the Conservative Party scares me. And I don't believe that their current behaviour tells us much, since Joe Clark probably ran the only minority government that arguably behaved no differently than they would have had they been a majority. Given the results, I cannot see anyone making that mistake again. So, what we see today of Mr. Harper tells us little, if anything, about how he and his party will behave if they win a majority government.

My main point is that I cannot see us more than an election or two away from another Liberal government. But I have to admit to being mystified by the lack of progress the Liberals are making in getting a leader that Canadians can be wooed by.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Dan Sys » Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:03 am

First of all, welcome back Tot. Nice to see your kind words and constructive criticism gracing another radio board. However I must correct you on one point, I have never waved the union flag. In fact the feelings I have always had towards my union would not be suitable to be viewed on this board. Also,
The Conservative party is not populated by "born-again" freaks.

I totally beg to differ. Take the time to do a bit of research on all the elected Conservative MP's and you'll find the vast majority of them fall into that born again freak category.....including Harper himself.

I won't comment any further on this, but if Harper wins a majority and the country gets thrown into a state of turmoil, remember that I told you so.
Dan Sys
Advanced Member

Return to Non Radio Related Topics